Last movie you visited...

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

caskof43

Post by caskof43 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 am

My wife, son and myself went and watched Cars yesterday evening. That is a great movie.

So how is Superman Returns?

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 pm

Superman Returns is good-but didn't blow me away. Kevin Stacy is an awesome Lex luthor though. The new Superman was just too plastic and too much of a Chris Reeve clone. Anyway, Has anyone seen Lady in the Water yet? I can't see it til thursday-and its killing me. I know the critics are panning it-they panned "The Village" too-and its one of my favs. M.Night can do no worng in my book-we'll see.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:43 am

I'll be seeing Lady in the Water tonight. I'll report in to let you know.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:52 pm

Got to see LITW today after all-it was everything i hoped it would be and more. no big M.Night twist at the end just edge of your seat revealations throughout the movie-and the best part-****SPOILER***--M.Night gets a gem of a jab in at the movie critics at the world-mainly the ones that wouldn't know true innocence or beauty if it slapped them in the face. absolutely loved every minute-Go See It Now!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:57 am

We saw LITW Saturday night and thought it was great. Not what I expected, and mostly very funny. There were a couple of touchy-feely moments that made me uncomfortable, but overall we (Julie and I ) were highly entertained.
:)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Hollywoodland

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:45 am

Elric and I saw "Hollywoodland" last week. Very good-a little slow the first third or so, but incredible acting all the way around-yes even Ben Afleck as George Reeves. But Adrien Brody stole the movie for me, just as he does every time. The best part-the way the writers/director give you four scenerios of what could have happened including the ruled suicide, but let you choose-and all are pretty much equally plausable. How much is completely accurate-I don't know, but it was presented convincely. And-oh yea, Diane Lane wasn't too shabby either. Good flick!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

The Illusionist

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:17 pm

Incredible flick! Blew "Hollywoodland" away. I hope Ed Norton and Paul Giamatti get oscar nods. I liked everything about this movie-great acting, directing, cinematography(very dark though),story line with a twist I didn't see coming(best part).Even Jessica Beihl proved she is a serious actress(Seriously!!!!).Highly recommended!

wood-elf

Post by wood-elf » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:15 pm

Fearless, Jet Li's last film, apparently, in the Wushu style of martial arts. Plenty of action in this film, but also very philosophical. There is much to recommend this film.

caskof43

Post by caskof43 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:57 pm

My wife, our son and myself watched Open Season yesterday. Pretty good little flick. I laughed quite a bit.
"The first qualification for judging
any piece of workmanship from a
corkscrew to a cathedral is to
know *what* it is - what it was intended
to do and how it was meant to be used."
-C.S. Lewis

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Fearless is definitely on my list. I need to hunt down an uncut Hong Kong disk...
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:12 pm

I just saw that opening weekend... Very good movie. Plus it was awesome when after a whole movie in Chinese, Tanaka starts talking in a language I somewhat understand! Yossha! (celebrate, osakan-style) Also, I would just like to remark that Kendo looks like five times cooler than the Wushu swordplay (don't know the name for that). But really, I greatly appreciate that this movie has a code of honor I can relate to, instead of a code of honor which seems to promote as many unnecessary suicides as possible (as in Hero).
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:08 pm

The Prestige-excellent flick. Has more twists and turns than Chris Nolan's other masterpiece "Memento". The only film in recent memory with TWO really big surprises at the end-and both pay off. Definetely one you need to see at LEAST twice to get, and several more times to get everything, there are so many layers, and ALL of the acting is top-notch, hard to pick a favorite. christian Bale is always spot on, but hugh Jackmand and michael Caine are incredible in this too. Will be hard to beat for Best movie of the year IMO! It's that good!!!!!

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Re: The Illusionist

Post by esteban » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:09 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Incredible flick! Blew "Hollywoodland" away. I hope Ed Norton and Paul Giamatti get oscar nods.
Errr, what blew "Hollywoodland" away? Oh, The Illusionist. Read the Subject, esteban, read the Subject.

Interesting that we have two films this year about magicians from long before the age of David Copperfield. How did they compare?
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:57 pm

We went to the theater last weekend with the intention of seeing The Departed, but that was sold out, so we saw The Prestige instead - I loved it. :) Definitely need to see it again.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:30 am

Saw most of a documentary on legendary engineer/producer Tom Dowd(I had never even heard of the guy)-who engineered/produced records by everyone from Clapton and Cream,Otis Redding,Rod Stewart,Aretha,Booker T & the MG's,Allman Brothers to Chicago ,Meatloaf,Lynyrd Skynyrd, and alot of other southern acts. He started out with Jazz-Coltrane and many others. A very interesting documentary-I'd like to catch the first of it sometime-its playing on the sundance or indie movie channel on cable.It had interviews with Clapton,Allmans,Skynyrd,etc. A genius according to all who worked with him. To get an idea of his work go to www.allmusic.com and go under crdits. there's 6 pages!!!!!Even Bette Midler! No prog-but they did mention YEs, ELP, and other Atlantic recording artists of the 70's even though he didn't directly work with them. Even showed a quick picture of Yes. catch this if you have cable.