Last DVD you rented?

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 am

Watched "Ringers" tonight. VERY GOOD! I was really surprised to see Geddy and to hear the remark by Cameron Crowe about Yes/KC. All of the 60's stuff was cool. Very interesting and hilarous at times.STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Watched "Capote" later last night. Pretty good movie-great performances and direction-sucks you in, even though it is very slowly paced. I've always known that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was an awesome actor-now it's official. B+
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:49 am

FredProgGH wrote:The Cat Returns is a Studio Ghibli film and I think Disney plastered Miyazaki's name on the box but he had nothing to do with it- it was directed by one Hiroyuki Morita. I've not seen it but it's apprently not nearly as well thought of as the films that Miyazaki has directed.
Fred, I'm so impressed. You seem to know everything about everything. Can I have your autograph? ...again?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:12 am

Haha- no, I've just been paying attention to Studio Ghilbi movies lately and all the releases Disney has been doing. I actually know small amounts about several things.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:49 am

I just got around to watching Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. One of the best low budget eye-candy films I can remember seeing in quite a while. Makes me yearn for the old Fleischer Superman cartoons! Sure, Gwyneth Paltrow can't act her way out of a wet paper bag, but that's part of the charm. Sure, Jude Law was way miscast for this role, but seeing as he ponied up the production capital, I guess he can play lead if he wants. Check your brain at the door for some good clean fun.....
Wheee!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:10 am

Sorry, I would have not only had to check my brain, but my taste, my thoughts, and every core of my being at the door to like that one-I was asleep in 20min.Sorry-I really wanted to like it.

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:45 am

FredProgGH wrote:I actually know small amounts about several things.
He must be a ball to have around during trivia night at the local Joe's Crab Shack. 8)

I plan to rent "Sahara" today. Found out quite by accident, a few days ago, that it's based on the Clive Cussler book of the same title. I'm a fan of Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, and understand that he loathed the big-screen adaptation of "Raise the Titanic!" He had more say in the making of this flick, so hopefully it'll be worth watching.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Watched Walk the Line Friday night. It wasn't wow, amazing, but it was good, and I was impressed that the actors did all their own singing. :? Erich was running around thinking he was Johnny Cash after that ... :roll:
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:38 pm

I just watched Zatoichi a few nights ago - very enjoyable movie! It's about a blind old samurai guy, and another samurai body guard guy, a couple of weird geishas, a really weird idiot who does nothing, a couple other people, and a big tap dance number at the end. But the coolest thing is, the blind dude fights with his sword upside down - awesome! Apparently the director wanted the blood to resemble ume blossoms floating to the ground. *lol* It's not that gory though. I don't think. (I don't really notice gore though, so...) I highly recommend it.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:52 pm

I assume you are talking about the new Zatoichi, right?? I actually haven't seen that yet. I've seen almost all of the original series and they are mostly excellent, but pretty non-graphic by modern standards, up until the ones made in the early 70's.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:44 am

Yeah, the new one. it's sweet! I love it! Out of the samurai movies I've seen, which granted, isn't that many, this is probably my favorite. Or very high up on the list. Adn they even make it almost black and white in tone for some of the movie to imitate the odl samurai movies.

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Is it a video or unlicensed downloadable?
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:11 pm

You could probably find it in the movie store. Definitely liscensed, but not wide-spread enough to be very cheap on half.com. :( Rent it though, Joe, you'll like it. :)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:21 pm

It's out in R1- my video store has it, I just keep forgetting to rent it. it's been out a few months already.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Highly reccomended!! -"Stay" with Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts. A mix of "Jacob's Ladder", "Sixth Sense", "Stir of Echoes", etc.-the ending pretty much makes or breaks it-and for me, I totally bought it! Check it out!