Last DVD you rented?

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Aeon Flux arrived thanks to the Netflix gnomes and I thought it was a lot of fun. Loved the sets and gadgets and the story was interesting enough.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:34 pm

FRED!!! I see from your sig - you've seen Tampopo?!?!? SWEET! Isn't that like... the most awesome movie ever? Like, whent he old lady goes and pinches all the fruit in the gorcery store, or when the mom dies making her last meal... Apparently there's another one that has to do with funeral homes or something - heard of it?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:19 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:FRED!!! I see from your sig - you've seen Tampopo?!?!? SWEET! Isn't that like... the most awesome movie ever? Like, whent he old lady goes and pinches all the fruit in the gorcery store, or when the mom dies making her last meal... Apparently there's another one that has to do with funeral homes or something - heard of it?
Wow- yeah, I think Tampopo is one of my ten favorite movies- Michelle of all people turned me on to it ten years ago and I just watched it again recently. The only other movie by Itami I have is A Taxing Woman. Same basic cast, different story- she is a tax collector trying to nab the guy that plays Goro. Good, but not remotely as good. I have heard his movies went downhill really fast after Tampopo.
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Smallville

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:49 am

Smallville-the first season. I got Hollywood video's MVP again, so I thought I'd check this series out. Never watched an episode before this-and I'm pretty much hooked! Can't stand John Schneider as Jonathan Kent, but I love the Lex Luthor character, and the story lines are really good. I'm only on Season One, so no one ruin it for me-but I know it must get MUCH darker!!!! and is this pretty true to the comics? I'm not a comic geek(lol).
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Watched the recent film of Tristan and Isolde and was surprised how well it was done. I studied quite a bit of medieval and Arthurian literature in graduate school and so am quite familiar with the tale and its various incarnations through the centuries. To those interested in the subject matter, I can definitely recommend this film. Performances, direction, and cinematography are all spot-on.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:01 am

Woody Allen's latest "Scoop" w/ Scarlett Johanssen,Hugh Jackman, and Woody starring. It's set in London again like his latest "Matchpoint"-which I was dissappointed in. This one is MUCH better. Combines great dialogue, suspense, and great interplay between Woody and Scarlett(don't worry its not romantic between them, more like father and daughter). If you liked "Manahatten Murder Mystery" , "Crimes and Mistermeanors", etc. , you'll like this one. Ms. Johanssen really gives a fine comedic performance also. Check it out!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

For Your Consideration

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:55 am

Great, hilarious movie from the makers of "Best in Show","Waiting for Guffman", "Spinal Tap",etc. Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, and Harry Shearer and company take the movie industry head on and spot on! Fred Willard steals the movie though, and the extras(esp. deleted scenes) are as good as the movie itself!And hey-there's a cameo by a famous guitarist in a very brief scene involving a tv talk show house band-hint-initials are J.S.!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Two gooderns: "Blood Diamond", and "Children of Men"-esp. BD. I was a little disappointed with COM, but still worth seeing.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu May 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Seen some good and strange ones lately:in the good category:"Freedom Writers", and the strange:"The Science of Sleep"-from the maker of "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind", and "Being John Malkovich"-makes those two movies look like Sesame Street-but I loved it.Warning-it is a romantic comedy-somewhat.Gonna watch "The Departed" again tonight, missed some of it the first time.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri May 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Sci-Fi Miniseries "Children of Dune"

love it so far!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:08 pm

Pan's Labyrinth came out on DVD today-just had to get it. I'd wished i had seen it a second time in the theatres, but never made it back.We'll see if I'm as impressed as I was in the theaters-at the time I ranked it real close to "Return of the King", and "Narnia".

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Hired out Bridge to Terrabithia on DVD this weekend. Very nice adaptation of the novel. One of my daughter's favorite books so she really enjoyed the film version.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Really?! I hated that book with such a passion... that and On My Honor. All these junk books they feed to us as sixth graders which involve a best friend dying and weird relationships with grownups and just depression and subjectivity... *shudder* Give us light and substance and hope!! Something to actually hold on to, or something to inspire our little junior high minds! Your daughter is free to have her own opinion of course. But I do hate the book very strongly.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:12 am

Oh Sam-"I hate the book so strongly"? I didn't read the book, but our whole family loves the movie. LOTR or Narnia it is not. But I know first hand with four daughters, how strong peer pressure is in adolescence and pre-teen/teen years, so any book or movie that explores and promotes kids' journeys to find their individuality and then at the same time explores the fantasy world, and the importance of creativity and imagination-I'm all for!!!!I also loved that they didn't go overboard on the CGI(much like Pan's Labyrinth), and kept most of it for the ending. Yes, it has a lot of cliches like:****SPOLIER**** the dying free-spirited child character-but in this case it is sudden and totally unexpected, and her impact on her friend and his sister is much more profound after her death than before. So in closing, I have to say I love this movie strongly, and now am motivated more than ever to read the book! Peace,David.