Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Last DVD you rented?

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:25 pm

"A Tale of Two Sisters"

Korean horror flick - Think David Lynch meets The Ring
If any of you watch it, I'd love your take on what happens.
Creepy, surreal, big scares, beautiful film....
Be prepared to think :eyebrow:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:15 pm

Tonight I went for Dust to Glory, a doc about the Baja 1000 offroad race. basically it's open to ANYONE that wants to enter, pros and amatuers alike. It takes about 32 hours straight to finish. Any vehicle goes; motorcycles, trucks, dune buggys and there's a whole class for VW bugs. The OLD ones. Now that's hard core. One guy raced a Winnebago (it didn't finsh). Great flick; real life drama, tons of action, magnificent reference transfer (It appears to have been shot on 24P HD video).

Edit- scratch that- the credits seem to indicate that it was indeed originated on film, but that it was given an HD transfer well before editing and then went through post that way. Apparently, the DVD could then be taken from that source, not allowing MGM their typical opportunity to screw up the telecine. Very nice :D)
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:32 am

The words "Baja 1000" pushed a button in my memory. The April '03 issue of Car and Driver magazine has an article written by a guy who went along for the ride as a spectator. One of the entrants built an extra seat into his vehicle (which, btw, was not a Winnebago!!!) and invited various media types to be part of the race. Suitably dumbfounded, the reporters would then return to their desks to rave about the experience. I like writer Dan Neil's style.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:09 am

I've been trying to rent Shaolin Soccer for two or three weeks now, but I guess both of the local video stores only have one copy, and it's *ALWAYS* gone. :( Anyone seen it? It's by the guy who did Kung Fu Hustle so it's got to be good...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:47 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:I've been trying to rent Shaolin Soccer for two or three weeks now, but I guess both of the local video stores only have one copy, and it's *ALWAYS* gone. :( Anyone seen it? It's by the guy who did Kung Fu Hustle so it's got to be good...
If you liked Kung Fu Hustle you will definitely like Shaolin Soccer. Though it is a little less rooted in Western pop culture references. The big soccer game at the end is the most over the top thing I have ever seen. I was rolling on the floor. Make SURE to watch the Chinese version, not the American version!! The American version is brutally edited. (Both are on the same disk.)

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:26 pm

My last one was In 80 Days Around The World. Easy watching.
The world is smaller than you think!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:12 pm

Bozo wrote:My last one was In 80 Days Around The World. Easy watching.
The Jackie Chan one or the real one?? :D

Tonight: Battlefield Earth. I'm having a bad film festival this week with that, Face/Off and The Core.

And I got a used copy of the ultra-excellent British Hong Kong Legends release of Jackie Chan's Police Story at our local used store for almost nothing- how cool is that?? It was probably sold because it is region 2 and PAL and the dimwit who bought it coudln't play it- but I'm region-free :D :D :D

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:48 am

It was the Jackie Chang one.

Boromir
Amateur
Amateur

last vid i rented...

Post by Boromir » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:29 pm

was Stevie Ray Vaugn (and Double Trouble) Live at the Montreux '82 and '85 double disk. My 79 yo father and i just finished watching the second disk last night in fact. Now it goes back to Netflix.

And one day soon i'll get around to viewing my King Crimson: Deja Vroom: Special Edition that i've had around the apt for weeks...

In my middle age i (nearly) begin to really enjoy these video concerts much more than the real thing. There's no crowd, and i can pause it whenever i please for a potty or sustenance break.

-knowutimean? :)
...with these gasoline prices we can't afford not to buy a pony....

-Homer Simpson

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Oh yeah! And you can get a cold beer without cueing and without missing a second. I love that.

santakauz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by santakauz » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:58 am

I just watched the old original Adventures of Robin Hood last night: the one with Errol Flynn from the late 30s. Quite good! I'd say it is probably the better version over the Costner one. Very worth watching.

I've also got waiting here to watch: Shaolin Soccer (did you see it yet Sam?), Mystic River, and Shaolin Temple (no idea what to think of this one, but I got Shaolin Soccer, and I thought I better keep the Shaolin tradition going).

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:29 pm

Not yet... :-/
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:48 pm

The Errol Flynn Robin Hood is really a great film. I also like Shaolin Soccer a lot but I think Kung Fu Hustle is even better.

This week I've been mostly watching Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex. Tonight I have the last volume (in Season 1, the first volume of Season 2 comes out Tuesday.) I'd have to say SAC is pretty much the best TV anime I've ever seen apart from Cowboy Bebop. Highly reccomended.

BTW I finally watched the film of Hitchhiker's Guide this week and for this fan of the books/radio show/BBC series it fell pretty flat. Sure, there were moments but I didn't think most of the changes in plot added anything at all (and yes, I know DA wrote them in himself) and most of the jokes were wildly truncated, as if they were just being given quick reference to please the fans. All the subtlety and elegance was taken out. And fer cryin' out loud, how can you cast so many Americans in such a quintessentially British piece?? The line explaining why Mos Def doesn't really sound much like he is from Guilford is frankly an embarrasment. (Though I thought Trillian was actually very good.) The best new line was the one added to my sig...

My honest reccomendation for anyone not very familiar with the Guide would be to read the books or rent the BBC show. Sure, it has that $5 budget Dr. Who look, but it also has the writing and the acting.

santakauz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by santakauz » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:01 am

I haven't seen Guide yet either, but when I heard Mos Def was in it...I just couldn't help thinking that there was nothing that could save the film after that. I'm sure I'll see it one day, but it is on the bottom of my list.

I just finished with Shaolin Soccer, and it was really funny. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny, especially since I was watching it with subtitles, but there are just some really unexpected parts that made me crack up. It's very different, that's for sure. Now I can't wait to see Kung Fu Hustle.

Next up is Mystic River, then Shaolin Temple!

Going back for more on Monday I think...any recommendations?
"What are we holding on to, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for." --The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:08 am

Don't get me wrong, Mos Def doesn't really suck or anything, he's actually pretty good. He's just horribly wrong for the part. And I love Sam Rockwell, but again, it's just the wrong approach.

If you are in a Kung Fu mood, here's a great classic to try and find: 39th Chamber of Shaoilin, available here in the US as Shaoilin Master Killer. Excellent old school flick.