Last DVD you rented?

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:45 am

Rent and watch today ...
Ringers - Lord of the Fans

Its a great documentary about Lord of the Rings fandom with Dominic Monaghan as narrator. I actually learned a few things, and it was very well done.
They skirted around the real meaning and inspirations behind the books, but what would you expect?
Even so, any LOTRs fan would love this.
Steve

Ps: Even features Geddy Lee (Rush) and David Carradine! Also a snippit of Nemoy's Bilbo video! lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

pktheater
Amateur
Amateur

Post by pktheater » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:29 pm

I've not seen the movie yet, but an acquantance is in it, so I should.
Where does one purchase a witty and apropos signature?

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:47 pm

I Heart Huckabees. Several of my wife's students remarked about how they either loved or hated this film and it was enough for her to ask me to drop it in our Netflix queue. For the most part I enjoyed it. Reminded me in parts of The Waking Life. Philosophical, but with enough of a narrative thread to hold it together as a film.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:54 pm

I loved that movie. It was incredibly nerdy and constantly making fun existentialism, which thoroughly enjoyed. :lol:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:38 pm

I finally saw the first three Harry Potter movies (never read the books). They weren't terrible or anything... but I just don't get what the big deal is. Like, they're entertaining enough, but they're also extremely irritating because they don't feel solid in plot. They don't use magic consistantly at all, and there's all these action scenes which really have no point but for the sake of having something "exciting" happen - nothing really gets accomplished and it's just annoying. You just want to move on with the story, not watch them try to catch their bus in a flying car or watch them run away from the spiders (especially when they clearly know that spell to throw opponents through the air).

Oh, also, there are very few things from LotR that have not been reproduced in some way in HP. Ents, goblins, giant spiders, Gollum, The Ring (as the remaining physical embodiment of Evil Bad Guy- the Diary), Ringwraiths, birds that save the day... I mean, I realize there's got to be some overlap, but this just gets old after awhile... It just doesn't seem that original or unique. The third one is definitely the best of the three, but it was also so confusing I wouldn't have known what was going on if I didn't ask a Potter fan who was watching it with me. Maybe it's just the movies. Maybe the books are better. Meh. I mean, they're interesting, but there is just clearly no comparison to Tolkien. They're on a completely different level - in goals, too. Rowling is writing for entertainment alone. Tolkien is so much deeper. They both are about invented worlds in which people use magic, but other than that (and the plot devices Rowling uses), they're hardly alike at all.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:20 pm

If anyone should know better than to judge books based on movies made of them I would think it would be you. :P

The books are good. They aren't great literature but they are much better fantasy than anything I've encountered in many years. Of course they deal with archetypal ideas and creatures of fantasy- Tolkien didn't invent much of that either you know- but the notion of incorporating comtemporary young adults into that type of setting is quite original.

Also, the books improve exponetially with each new volume, and get significantly more dense and adult making it harder and harder for the films to keep up. The first film is pretty cloase to the book because the book isn't very complex. The fifth book was actually somewhat Orwellian in theme- very interesting stuff. I haven't got the latest one yet.

If you could get through to the third book you'd be hooked. The movie doesn't come close. Tolkien they ain't but a good read they be.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:10 am

I agree with Fred! There are a lot of people who haven´t read LOTR but seen the movies and I don´t think any of them really understood everything in the movies. The same is with HP. I´ve seen the forth movie and if you haven´t read the book theres no use watching the movie cause there jumping around from chapter to chapter very fast. It makes hard to keep up with the story.
J.R.R Tolkien didn´t write LOTR from the first idea he told this story to his children first and so the story grew and got more adulted before he wrote it down. J.K Rowling wrote the first HP from her first idea so it was more a children book only growing and growing with each new book. The latest one is more of an adult tale so Sam give Harry a chance and read the books there better than you think!
The world is smaller than you think!

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:48 pm

I heart Huckabees is one of our favorites too.

Recently, we got season 1 of Arrested Development. Could we laugh any harder?? I don't think so.
One of the funniest TV shows ever made, in my opinion.
Every one is so amazing at acting so, naturally awkward.
"George Michael" and "Maeby" are my favorite charachters. They are only teenagers, but they act so well.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:22 pm

As much as I love Tolkien and Lewis, Rowling is doing something unique in the Harry Potter novels in the way that she is portraying the growing up of her characters. Archetypes come in many shapes and sizes and following the lives Harry, Ron and Hermione as they come of age in a world of sometimes dangerous magic is fascinating to me. Rowling hit a bit of a rough spot, narratively speaking, to my mind with Goblet of Fire, but the last two novels have been wonderful. Plus, these novels are ripping good yarns with a strong moral framework.

As to the films, I find Chris Columbus to be a nattering fool as a filmmaker and the first two Potter films suffer as a result of Columbus's direction. Alfonso Cuaron, however, is an artist with the camera and Prisoner of Azkaban a wonderful, engaging film. Gorgeous to look at. You really feel as if you are in Harry's world with this one. I've only seen Goblet of Fire once, but I thought Mike Newell did an excellent job taking that whale of a novel and pruning it down to a 2.5 hour film.
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:13 am

I've seen that"ringers" on the shelf at the vid-store, and keep passing it up. lookes pretty cheesy-guess I'll have to give it a try! Last 3 I rented: "Good night and Good Luck"-B(little heavy-handed, wanted more from McCarthy than video), "Jarhead" D ( pretty bad). Not really a war movie of course-not a shot fired. Rivals "Goodfellas" for use of the "F"word-and various incarnations-extremely irritating after the 200th time-should have turned it off! And "History of Violence"- C+ I only give it a C+ for Ed Harris and William Hurt! Hurt's performance(only 10min.-but extremely effective)saved it for me. Otherwise-it was too much "Monster's Ball" 2 for me-not much redeeming qualities about this movie-just didn't get it if they were trying to make a statement.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:22 am

History of Violience - I liked it. Not great, but I liked it. And yes, Harris and Hurt were great.

JarHead - sucked. I used to entertain the Marines in 1990, just before Gulf 1. They were a great bunch of guys and girls. I've seen young Army recruits act out the way they did (17 years old and away from home for the first time) but never Marines. What a great message that sends to the Corps and to those who are considering signing up. Bad movie!

RIngers
- watch it. Its really good.

Pride and Prejudice - Five Stars.

Glass Hammer - Live at Belmont - terrible (cheesy) plot about an evil knight, a princess and something about a flesh-eating horse. My wife thought one of the male leads was really 'hot' though, but I fell asleep before the end.

8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 am

lol, Steve!

Ok, my little sister finally made me watch the weirdest Miyazaki movie called The Cat Returns... I watched it mainly so she'd stop trying to summarize the plot in excruciating detail... It was kind of cute, but sooo weird mainly in the fact that they go so far out of their way to make one of those perfectly smooth, dashing, swordfighting males - like Zorro mixed with Wesley -- only he's a cat. Wearing a suit. It was strange. Tonight I'm watching something more normal. :-p

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:02 pm

The Cat Returns is a Studio Ghibli film and I think Disney plastered Miyazaki's name on the box but he had nothing to do with it- it was directed by one Hiroyuki Morita. I've not seen it but it's apprently not nearly as well thought of as the films that Miyazaki has directed.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:04 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote: My wife thought one of the male leads was really 'hot' though, but I fell asleep before the end.
8)
Fred, you dog!! :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:31 pm

lols!

Release Date yet Steve?!?! I wanna get started on the review of it asap =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03