general voice question

Solo and backing vocals

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

general voice question

Post by DruidsGlass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:36 am

i need a way to improve the transition from chest voice to falsetto (spelling?) sing more isn't quite what i'm looking for. are there exercises or something i can do?

i'm gettin kinda frustrated b/c i can sometimes sing the higher lines on WWWY but sometimes my voice says no...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:53 am

Hmm that 's tough. I know from my own experience and hearing from others, that you really can't "learn" to transition to falsetto nearly as well after your voice has changed.
I was lucky enough to be in a prestigeous childrens choir when mine changed, and as result I had (and still have) excellent control of my falsetto and regular voice.

That being said, I recommend practicing the smoothing out of that gap by vocalizing a long "O" or "Ahh" from your normal voice, and 'scooping' up till your voice 'cracks' to the falsetto.

You will notice a gap in the pitch, bus thats ok to start. You want to focus on minimizing the sound of the epiglottal stop when it 'cracks'.

I don't know if this holds true to anyone besides me, but when I am sliding up, I can feel the throat begin to constict a bit, and I bob my jaw slightly downward and try to make the back of my throat 'drop'

Once you figure out how to minimize the glottal stop, then you simply keep practicing sliding at a slower speed and slower speed. Pay attention to at what 'pitch' there is the least difference in the tone of your singing in both normal and falsetto voice. This is the transition point you want to aim for. (might help to do this in front of a piano)

Once you are able to find the smoothest point of transfer, continue only sliding your voice upwards in pitch, and concentrate on narrowing the gap in pitch each time.

Once you master that, going down in pitch from falsetto to regualr should not require much more work.

Hope that this helps you out- it's a bit hard to explain in written form.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:30 pm

i'll give it a shot

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:49 pm

This is a tough one to explain or teach textually. A lot of it is by feel; just as you feel weight and vibration in your chest when singing with chest voice, falsetto is a head voice, and so the focus is in the head, usually in the front above the eyes. The exercise that helps most for me is hooting like an owl, trying to place the feel of the sound in that head register. But the support still comes from the diaphragm (this is paramount). You are essentially 'aiming' the sound up from the diaphragm, towards your forehead. Believe it or not, raising your eyebrows helps! (It's usually automatic during the 'hooting' exercise).

Clear as mud, I know. Another really helpful thing is to listen to recordings of singers who have mastered the technique. There's still something to be said for mimickry.

April
http://theprogpalace.com

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:02 pm

:idea: I liked my explaination better lol
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:24 pm

CanarioAB wrote:The exercise that helps most for me is hooting like an owl,

Now that is something I'd buy a ticket to watch. Jes' can't picture you hootin'. :lol:

The videotape of the 2002 Kansas fan jam is about the only record of me singing, and my voice does stick out. I hear tell I sing like a hick. hehe

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:25 pm

Note to self: Log in. Then post.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:23 pm

where can i get a copy of this video and hear a hick singing?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:21 am

There are other singing hicks, too. You can hear the hick-ness in Steve's voice sometimes... Like in JotD, the famous: "Searching for the bah-ayne of may-un, a shahnin ring of gold..." :lol:

Or you want a lot of hick? Brad Marler! "An eldritch wind hawls and mawns, in this spaheece that I was shahwn..." heehee....

Of course, Fred isn't from the south, so he doesn't sound like he is, so I can't pick on him. The Warren family's from my own state so I certainly can't pick on Bethany and Susie. Flo's from California so she's out. Eric has the accent, but he doesn't sing solo. Matt's from Michigan and he doesn't sing, so that's two reasons. Walter does have an accent, but not while he's singing... leaving only Steve for me to pick on. :twisted: Well, of course, you can't really hear it in more recent music. But it's there in JotD a little. And just a bit in Perelandra...

(Yes, this is the strategy. Attack the mayor while he still can't type... ;))
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:20 am

haha sam, i'm from the south but i don't bear a heavy southern accent (if at all)...but about 80% of all the people here at school = 150% hick

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:20 pm

DruidsGlass wrote:where can i get a copy of this video and hear a hick singing?

I'll make it easy for you--you can't. Even some of the folks who participated in the jam never got videotape copies.

For awhile I was toying with the idea of seeing if I could feed a VCR into a computer and making MPEG video clips of the fan jam tapes, so I could put them on an online server for download...but that turned out to be a very specialized area of computer work. Not to mention expensive. Sorry, fella.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:32 pm

johnc wrote:
DruidsGlass wrote:where can i get a copy of this video and hear a hick singing?

For awhile I was toying with the idea of seeing if I could feed a VCR into a computer and making MPEG video clips of the fan jam tapes, so I could put them on an online server for download...but that turned out to be a very specialized area of computer work. Not to mention expensive. Sorry, fella.

Really? I have a video capture card- I could do it!!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:52 pm

I've glommed lots of video files off glasshammer.com, so I'd figured someone who works for the band's organization had access to such equipment. I seem to remember making phone calls, on this subject, to various companies 'round the Atlanta area, and distinctly remember being quoted a price of $300 to get two hours' worth of MPEG video onto CD-R. Jiminy crickets.

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:03 am

wow...300 for 2 hours? that's annoying...

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:18 pm

Bnielsen wrote::idea: I liked my explaination better lol

I don't have a crack (usually called a break) in my voice to overcome (anymore) so I presented a different approach. I used to have one but voice lessons fixed the problem. Breaks from chest to head voice nearly always indicate a technique problem, but that's usually fixable. :D

April
http://theprogpalace.com