Recorders!

Very popular instrument in this forum!

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recorders!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:08 am

Are there any other recorder fans out there? I loooovvvvve recorders... just bought a wooden one a couple weeks ago. Don't you think they add a wonderful touch? Especially on the middle earth album, but also just for the little things like in "tales of the great wars" and "this fading age" (which they cut out on the middle earth album :-p). And on chronometree! **blissful sigh** So beautiful. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:25 am

Sam, post some pics of the recorder!

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:15 am

Yeah Sam, I want to see it too! Can you play it?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

How?

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:39 pm

I haven't thought of a name for it yet. My previous soprano recorders have been named Squeaky and Squinkers (when half of squeaky broke i combined them to make squinky), and my alto is named Gregorious Constantius Albertine Bob XXIX. He doesn't like being abbreviated.

Can I put an image up without uploading it to my own own website? Currently, I have no sites I can upload it to.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:27 am

What about you call it "My Precious"?

You can send the picture to me, I'll place it on my site and I'll give you the link.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

My precious... gollum gollum....

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:00 pm

The picture is way too big to post here, so just follow this link (thanks sys-ex):

http://www.midi-center.com/forum/pub/precious.jpg

Here she is... a maple recorder. Cost $197 excluding tax, but she's soooo beautiful... She can pop a high c!!!!! That's just incredible compared to the horrible quality off key Squinky (though he really did try!).

And yes, i can play... I can play The Ballad of Balin Longbread at a bouple hundred miles an hour by now, through so much practice, along with the parts from Elrenn and Endereth and random other bits and pieces. (I play non-Glass Hammer stuff too, obviously). Our recorder ensemble in school won the fist place in our competition. (considering that there were less than 100 who participated in the competition (it was mandatory for every eighth grader) that wasn't that big of a deal, but still. We only got one point off on our score because someone fumbled a note at the beginning. That's pretty good, if I do say so myself) Ok. That's my little moment of pride.

Recorders sound best in an echo-y church though... Wow... They're so haunting and beautiful...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:55 pm

sys-ex wrote:What about you call it "My Precious"?
*lol*

Fred

gojira

Recorders

Post by gojira » Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:38 am

OK, guess this is as good a place as any to put my first GH forum post. I too love recorders!

In addition to new favorite "Watching the Sky", I have 2 other favorite examples of recorded recorders:

1. Anybody familiar with the song "Wreck" from Gentle Giant's 2nd album "Acquiring the Taste"? There's an intricate recorder quartet in the middle that just blows me away!

2. The song "Relics of a Distant Age" from the Kayak album "The Last Encore" has a single recorder part played sparingly, and though it's more of an embellishment than a solo, it's plaintive tune and purity of tone brings tears to my eyes. Played by Peter Scherpenzeel (brother of longtime keyboardist Ton Scherpenzeel).

Of course there are more well-known examples:

1. Intro to LZ's "Stairway to Heaven". I think there are 4 recorder parts in various ranges, played I believe by JPJ.

2. The "Your Move" section of Yes' "I've Seen All Good People". Not sure how many overdubs, 2 or 3 I think, played by Colin Goldring of Gnidrolog.

I once owned a pretty nice rosewood soprano recorder on which I learned to play fairly well. I somehow chipped the inner section of the place where the 2 pieces fit together (sorry for the technical lingo), and it never sounded as good after that.

Sam's maple recorder looks really nice. I especially like the carpet in the photo.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble on a beloved subject. Later...

g

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome!

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:18 pm

Hey, me too! The main reason I liked "Your Move" was because of the recoreders!! Although I admit I haven't heard any of that other stuff, I can imagine what it must sound like. :) I did a solo in church once of "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" - don't know if you're familiar with that song, but it's very errie and beautiful, and the lone sound of a recorder echoing through a large church is incredibly haunting... *sigh* So beautiful! :) Recorders are WAAAY better than flutes... They have a sort of edge to them, not like airy flutes. Flutes can be nice too sometimes, yes, but I like recorders better.

And glad you like the carpet. ;) Isn't it... nice.... (or something...)? Welcome to the gh forum!

Re: Welcome!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:01 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Although I admit I haven't heard any of that other stuff, I can imagine what it must sound like.
If you're not familiar with Gentle Giant or Kayak, you definitely owe it to yourself to check them out.

BTW, is the carpet wall-to-wall or an area rug?

g

gojira

Post by gojira » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:08 pm

Sorry, forgot to make sure I was logged on again!!! (above post is mine)

My "Log me on automatically"option still isn't working. I think it works as long as I don't shut down my computer, but since I power off overnight, I had to log on again.

What do I need to do to get this to work? :?: :? :oops: :?:

gojira

Post by gojira » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:08 pm

I forgot to mention one other band with extensive recorder use - Gryphon. Heard of them? They play a medieval-influenced prog, supplementing the traditional keyboard/guitar/bass/drums format with old instruments like recorder, bassoon, crumhorn, mandolin, etc. Their keyboardist Richard Harvey is a demon with the recorder!

Some samples can be found at their website at http://www.gaudela.net/gryphon/

g

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:03 pm

Did you say Kayak? I love this band! The old stuff are great! :D They are Dutch you know! Denus' uncle used to know them. You can still hear the singer Edward Reeks in the Ayreon albums. He also sings on a Erik Norlander album.

Lania

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:28 pm

Oh, by the way Gojira, you should be able to be logged automaticaly if you have chosen the option. Even if you switch of your computer. You might have a "cookie conflict" though. I have that too: when I login on my other forum, my cookie is lost for this one. I have to login again. Maybe you use the same user name and the same password some place else :?:

Lania

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:52 pm

gojira wrote:I forgot to mention one other band with extensive recorder use - Gryphon. Heard of them? They play a medieval-influenced prog, supplementing the traditional keyboard/guitar/bass/drums format with old instruments like recorder, bassoon, crumhorn, mandolin, etc. Their keyboardist Richard Harvey is a demon with the recorder!

Some samples can be found at their website at http://www.gaudela.net/gryphon/

g
Gryphon is a very good band, and RH gets my vote for the best recorder player I've ever heard- certainly the fastest!! :)

Fred