Reniassance Groups

Very popular instrument in this forum!

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reniassance Groups

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:19 pm

I know that we've been over this before in other random sections of the forum, but let's put it here for good reference: What are some good recorder/medievaly bands, both proggish and not?

There's Gryphon... Fred rocks at recorder too... Who else?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:04 am

French group Vital Duo have a CD called "Ex Tempore" which is Medieval music for the prog rock fan. Lots of Guillaum de Machaut on it. I highly recommend this disc. Also very highly recommended are Dunwich, "Il chiarore sorge due volte" is a magnificent album. You'll probably have to get these off a specialty dealer though.

The are a couple of other rock groups who have dabbled with Medieval and Renaissance music, Steeleye Span and Dead Can Dance being the two that come to mind first. Steeleye Span are notable for getting the sixteenth century song, "Gaudete" into the British charts, which is as far as I know the only song in Latin to do so. Amazing Blondel are also apparently inspired by medieval music, but I haven't heard them.

Of the groups who play their Renaissance music a little more traditional, "The Baltimore Consort" would be a very good place to start for people here. On the off chance you can get your hands on it I also recommend "Fricasee Parisienne" by the Clemencic Consort. The Clemencic Consort can be a bit hit and miss, but this disc is worth getting for some of the truly astounding harmonies on it.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:44 am

Just thought I'd add to the list, as I haven't touched it for a while.

Blackmore's Night: Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple with his wife, Candice Night. They perform Renaissance inspired music, sometimes based on authentic Renaissance tunes. Candice Night has a rather good voice, and is able to sing well in a number of styles, but the music can be a little twee, and the lyrics more than a little. Usually entertaining, but with all the authenticity of a RenFair.

Amazing Blondel: Highly recommended English group. Imagine an English Simon and Garfunkle with a medieval twist. Lovely guitar, and occasional lute work, and recorder too of course. Lyrics are occasionally twee, but are more authentic than Blackmore's Night.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:58 am

Have I mentioned Medieval Baebes? Witchy and very pagan, but very cool now and then. Great production and cool female vox.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart