For April, Staging

GH's breakthrough show from summer '03

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen, CanarioAB

Harry

For April, Staging

Post by Harry » Wed May 28, 2003 9:59 pm

April. I'll be mixing GH house sound at Nearfest. I am down to the particulars concerning how the choir is going to be staged. I'll have 2 AKG CP414's set @ cardiod, mounted on tall booms over the choir. These mics do a great job on multiple voices from a distance. I've used them several times on choirs and they're the best. We will need to crowd everyone under them as best we can where they can all see you.

In times past, we have found it sometimes necessary to (after rehearsal's) place the stronger voices farther away from the mic. That person is usually a tenor voice. Nevertheless, I am planning on 18 singers at this point. I would like to know if you've considered how you wish to place your singers together as a group. For mic's sake, you may wish to consider placing the High voices (M/F) on one side and the Low voices (M/F) on the other. Again, you may wish to decide at the last minute.

You will have a wedge monitor at your feet should you wish it (let me know asap). The choir will be supplied with stage sound via 2 side-fill cabinets, shooting across them front at an angle from the sides. I don't want the mics picking up the the side fills, and I want every singer to be able to hear.

I'm bucking for an extended sound check, and right now it looks like we may get it. If there's time, which I'm counting on, I want to run through at least the last half of WWWYoung into Heaven. Cronos is less difficult I'm sure, but yet if there's more time, we can run through it too.

Also: Will you need a music stand?

Thanks for your time and patience. I am looking forward to meeting you as well as all members of the GH chorale singers in Trenton.

Harry
[/b]

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Singers setup/tech questions

Post by CanarioAB » Thu May 29, 2003 11:36 am

The monitor set up sounds fine. I will be singing too, will the mics pick me up but not too much so? I will need a music stand if possible, thanks for asking.

I had planned on setting up the singers SATB left to right as I and the audience looks at them. The women need to be split somewhat from the men on 'WWWYoung' because of the double choir. I have SA in one choir, TB on the other. We will be using risers as far as I know.

Steve already sent a stage schema to Rob LaDuca. You should probably email him with this same message (rob@nearfest.com). It sounds like you want the choir at the soundcheck. I think that would be great, since we're not getting a band rehearsal. I'm not clear on just how the seque will be done from WWWYoung to Heaven either; I was waiting to hear the CD edit when it arrived. This is a question for Steve/Fred.

Did I cover everything? (I can't review your post while I'm typing!) Fred sent me the score corrections today, and I've forwarded them on to Mike for editing in the computer score. Exciting news about the DVD! Too bad they'll only see my back ;)

Regards,
April

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Monitor

Post by CanarioAB » Thu May 29, 2003 11:38 am

Yes to the wedge monitor, definitely!

ab

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Singers setup/tech questions

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu May 29, 2003 1:16 pm

CanarioAB wrote:I had planned on setting up the singers SATB left to right as I and the audience looks at them. The women need to be split somewhat from the men on 'WWWYoung' because of the double choir. I have SA in one choir, TB on the other. We will be using risers as far as I know.

April,
I thought that when I listened to the score, there was only one half of the split for When We Were Young? Did I miss a file? Please let me know if you plan to do both parts of the split, and if Mike scored it.
Thanks,
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Singers setup/tech questions

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu May 29, 2003 1:23 pm

CanarioAB wrote:I had planned on setting up the singers SATB left to right as I and the audience looks at them. The women need to be split somewhat from the men on 'WWWYoung' because of the double choir. I have SA in one choir, TB on the other. We will be using risers as far as I know.

April,
Duh - I listened again, and noticed the other half of the split. Thus - HARRY - it is vital that the girls be split from the guys. It will make a great stereo split for the recording, and no ones head will explode from the effort required to sing this very confusing part!
Thanks to both of you!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Harry

Yes, OK, Yes, Yes.

Post by Harry » Fri May 30, 2003 8:14 pm

I haven't actually scored the risers yet and I don't think Steve has fully secured risers either, however, that is one of my next tasks if Steve doesn't want it. I'm adding in a mic for you on my list to be put on a boom. The overheads would have a hard time picking you out unless you have a super strong voice. We will have to pay special attention to your monitor mixes as they might be difficult to balance. Steve and I have decided that we WILL be running through WWWY into Heaven for a sound check. I need it, he needs it, and You obviously need it for your choir, so that's the target.

I'm aware of all the stage diagrams we've made back and forth, but that is an item still changing, hopefully for the last time. STEVE will have to include your mic and monitor for sure, and I'll find out if you should bring your own stand. Will you need a light on the stand?? If so, an AC line should be included on the final version of the diagram.

What else? What am I forgetting? Later, HH

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Staging/risers etc.

Post by CanarioAB » Sat May 31, 2003 1:16 am

Henry, email Rob and rob@nearfest.com. He can secure risers, etc. I talked to him about getting them months ago, he may already have them lined up.

April

Harry

Post by Harry » Sat May 31, 2003 4:05 pm

April, that's actually Harry, not Henry. Where did Henry come from?

If you have spoken to Rob about risers, then by all means take that responsibility and see to it that someone knows what you want and that it will be there. Steve and I were wondering if you might want 2 -- double tier risers facing each other slightly in a V pattern??? Take care of it, choir risers aren't my thing, but someone must follow through to assure that what you ask for will be at the gig. Don't assume anything. Steve and I have already been caught assuming, good thing we moved when we did.

I am also glad to see some issue being raised concerning attire. I was wondering about that myself.........HH

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Tech

Post by CanarioAB » Sat May 31, 2003 9:32 pm

Sorry about the name, Harry ... couldn't see the old message as I was typing!

I've asked Rob to sign in and read the tech info, that way he gets the right message and saves me from cutting and pasting. Lania's resent his password.

Thanks,
April