Final score edits -- only a few changes!

GH's breakthrough show from summer '03

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen, CanarioAB

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Final score edits -- only a few changes!

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:47 am

Hi all,

I have emailed all of you regarding some edits to the scores, but I'm afraid that there was some confusion regarding the changes, so I'm going to try to clarify them here. Please make your changes in pencil, and bring a sharpened pencil with you to rehearsals for notating dynamics, other helpful notes etc.
-----
Sopranos:

Two changes, in 'Heaven':
Measure 61, on 'do-o-o-o'.  This was originally F-C-C-C;  Change these 4 notes to F-C-Aflat-G.  

Last measure, last note: Pencil in an E there; go for the A if you can, but I realize that's REALLY high!
-----
Altos:

In 'Chronos', measure 57:  Change the A on 'Glo-ri-' down to F#.  It's easier to hear and makes the chord fuller.

In 'Heaven', I was looking at an older score when I discussed this with Fred.  In measure 2, on 'color of all we do', you're already on an Eflat throughout this measure; disregard any email that gave you different instructions.
-----
Tenors:

In 'Chronos', measure 54:  Just to clarify, on 'sons and ye', the part should read G-G-C, not C-C-C.  I had that backwards in one of my emails, and may have said G-G-E as well.  G-G-C is correct.

Please make the same change in measure 112.

Same piece, measure 59:  Change the 'sis' on beat 3 from C up to D.
-----
Baritones:

In 'Chronos', measure 54:  On 'sons and ye', change the current F-F-F to E-E-E.  Please make the same change in measure 112.

In 'Heaven', measure 60/61:  On 'do-o-o-o', change the F-F-Dflat-E to F-Eflat-Dflat-C.  
-----
Hopefully now these changes are all in one place, and you don't have to flip back and forth between your emails (as I have!).   I will be posting some more helpful hints later this week. In the meantime, it's not a bad idea to start drinking plenty of water NOW, and getting enough rest!

As always, email me with any questions at all.

Less than two weeks!!!!!!! I am SO psyched for this!!

April

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

More rehearsal hints and info

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:08 pm

Hi gang!

Some hopefully helpful information while you're rehearsing --

On 'WWWYoung', it would be very helpful if you could rehearse by playing both your part and the coordinating voice part of your same gender (Sopranos, listen to Sop and alto, tenors listen to tenors and baritones, etc.). On stage it will be important that you NOT listen to the opposite choir (i.e., Sop and alto should NOT listen to the men, and ilkewise the men shouldn't listen to the women -- it will just confuse you!) unless I specifically tell you to do so. I will be conducting in a 4/3 pattern (actually, the 4 will be in 2). Since I will also be singing, it will be difficult for me to cue the men -- so if there is a tenor or baritone who would like to face the choir during WWWY and provide a lip model, so to speak, feel free to step up to the plate!

-----

Altos: on 'Chronos', measure 115, drop that A down to F# as well, just as in measure 57. Not sure how that repeat didn't make it out to you.

-----

Finally -- chords just preceding your entrances:

It is VITALLY important that we be able to find our entrances, so to that end, here are the chords that the band is playing just before your entrances. These notes may be confusing, if you can't make sense of them either email me or ask for help. We will rehearse all of these entrances on Sat/Sun:

In 'Chronos' --
On the FIRST entrance, the band is playing a D chord (D-F#-A), with A in the bass. Sopranos and tenors, this helps you greatly, because you come in on A, so listen for the bass guitar note. Altos will come in on the D, or the bottom of the chord, and baritones will have to listen for the third. We will go over this in practice.

On the SECOND entrance, the band is playing a B chord (B-D#-F#) with a B in the bass, then we enter with the re-entry of the D chord/key. Sopranos and tenors, find the bottom of the chord the band is playing -- the B -- then go down a step. Altos, a little trickier -- find the 3rd of the chord and go down a half-step. Baritones, find the 5th of the chord -- 'Sol' on the scale -- and there you are. Again, we will practice this, but please look at it before coming to Trenton.

-----

In ' WWWYoung' --
The guitar clearly plays a 4 note run that is 'B-Bflat-Aflat-Gflat'. The keyboard is holding an open Gflat chord behind it.
Sopranos, you have the option of listening for the Gflat in the guitar and/or keyboard and coming in a minor third above it (a minor third corresponds with the notes at the beginning of 'Brahms Lullaby', if that helps), or listening for the 3rd guitar note -- the Aflat -- and coming in a half-step above it.

Altos -- your note is difficult. You can listen for the guitar notes and either listen for their first B and come in a half-step above it (which is what I recommend), or finding the Gflat and coming in an augmented 4th below it. This interval is also called a tritone, and it's very dissonant if you're not used to it. Alternatively, the keyboard is playing an open Gflat, and you can count down an augmented 4th from there. Practice all 3 and see which one is better, or if you have some other way you have to get to your opening C, please share it with us!

Tenors -- you have an extra beat to figure it out (so do the baritones). You're coming in on A, as are the sopranos. You can either listen for the B in the guitar and go down a full step (like from 'Re' to 'Doe' in the scale), or listen for the Gflat in the guitar or keyboards and go up a minor third (like the notes in 'Brahms Lullaby').

Baritones -- lucky dogs, not only do you get an extra beat to figure it out, but if you listen for the guitar run, you are only a half-step below the Gflat that the guitar ends with. Now you can be obstinate and count up an augmented 4th from the B he starts out on ... but I don't recommend it!

-----

'Heaven' --

The band is playing an Eflat chord just before our entrance. You will hear a sustained Eflat chord, 3 drum beats, then the band comes in on an Aflat chord. We come in on the second beat on an Aflat chord.

Sopranos -- You can either count up 4 from the Eflat (you will sing the 'Fa' to the band's 'Doe' on Eflat), or wait for the first beat of the measure where we enter and hear the Aflat there.

Altos -- Lucky you this time, you come in on Eflat, which is what the band is playing in the measure before.

Tenors -- a little trickier here. You can either listen for the Eflat chord and go down a minor third (also like Brahms Lullaby mentioned above), or wait for the Aflat chord and go up a MAJOR third ('Mi' to the band's 'Doe').

Baritones -- your best bet is to wait for the first beat and listen for the Aflat, since that's your entrance note.

-----

I learn everything by intervals, which is why I've outlined the help notes the way I have. If you find this too confusing, just set it aside and we will go over this in rehearsal. Don't stress over it -- listen to your corresponding part and all will be well. Practice with the MP3s, they are a godsend and are most helpful. Also -- I use 'doe' rather than 'do' when referring to the scale, simply to avoid confusion. I know that 'Do' is the 'proper' spelling.

As always, email me before anything stresses you out too much. I hope this has helped and not simply added to any confusion!

Sincerely,
April
CanarioAB@aol.com