GH's breakthrough show from summer '03

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen, CanarioAB

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Welcome To The Glass Hammer Choir!

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Greetings to all!
All of the members of Glass Hammer are truly excited that you have decided to participate in the NEARfest concert. The addition of 18 singers to our 7 piece group should make for a very crowded stage, as well as a very big sound!
I'll gladly send all of you a copy of Lex Rex if you don't already have it. Just email me your address, and we'll get it in the mail along with a CDR of the two additional songs you'll be singing.
If you don't know the 'plan' yet, here it is in a nutshell..
Near the end of our concert, you guys will all slip out of your seats and head back stage. We'll come up with a cue for this at some point in the near future.
You'll be singing on "Chronos Deliverer" from the Chronometree album, and "When We Were Young / Heaven". "When We Were Young" is a track from Lex Rex. "Heaven" is a track from Perelandra. We're segueing from the end of "When We Were Young" into the last 7 minutes of "Heaven". This has been edited together on the CDR that I'm sending you.
"Chronos Deliverer" will be an easy song for the choir. "Heaven" is a little more difficult. The REALLY scary one is "When We Were Young". If you've heard the end of this song you'll know why!
But fear not - this can be done!
April (your choir director) will organize a couple of rehearsals during NEARfest. These may be late ones, or they may occur during a dinner break. We don't want you to miss any of the other bands, but we'll have to squeeze this in somehow.
Send your questions to me or to April at CanarioAB@aol.com, and we'll try to find answers for you.
Here are a couple of things you might like to know right now...
1. There WILL be scores, and you'll be able to have them on stage with you.
2. We've added a section to our Glass Hammer forum on www.glasshammer.com. You will need to register with our forum moderator (follow the instructions on the site), then she will provide you with access to the secret NEARfest forum folder. This will be a great place to post announcements and discuss the upcoming concert. I'll remind you all again in a separate email - and we're hoping all of you will sign up and check in from time to time.
Thanks again,
Steve Babb
www.glasshammer.com :sprite:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Princess

Post by Princess » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:27 pm

Wow am I the first to get here??? Thanks Steve and the rest of the band! I know I for one am very excited about singing with ya'll :) I can't wait until Nearfest!!!!

Can't wait to meet all the rest of the choir also! I do believe that we will have alot of fun doing this! :D

PEACE
Beth

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

hi

Post by King » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:00 pm

Hi everybody, just wanted to check in and say hello and I am also very excited about singing with this choir. Not a lot of people get a chance like this and so I count myself very lucky :D . Anyway, I can't wait to meet you all and be there getting ready for NEARfest.

Peace,
Jen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Human Mellotron

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:20 am

A mellotron wasn't good enough for GH. We had to have 18 singers! 17 are official, and I hear the 18th will be Fred Schendel's brother. Hope his brother is a soprano!
Regardless, this is going to be fun for all! I should be getting cdrs together in a week or so, and I'll mail them out soon after that.
Keep checking in.
Steve
:bunny:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

vocals

Post by King » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:29 pm

I was just wondering what the balance is going to be like for NEARfest. I assume we are doing this SATB? How many for each voice part do we have?

Peace,
Jen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: vocals

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:37 am

King wrote:I was just wondering what the balance is going to be like for NEARfest. I assume we are doing this SATB? How many for each voice part do we have?

Peace,
Jen

I think there's a good balance thus far. Though I tend to think we need more girls than guys. If April checks in soon, she can give us the run-down thus far.
Steve

Princess

the songs........

Post by Princess » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:21 pm

ok, now how do we get hold of the three songs we'll be singing? I think I'd like to hear that! :) Thanks.

Beth
PEACE

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:42 pm

Is this a secret page here or something? I just saw it and came here... Or maybe someone's already given me the secret acess. I'm confused. Oh well. Is this the grand finale then? Chronos Deliverer, When We Were Young AND Heaven? Wow... I can't wait!!! :-D This is going to be so cool!!!!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:35 pm

So where is everyone from? How did you get to be one of the lucky members of the GH choir?

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Choir mix

Post by CanarioAB » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:57 pm

My list is as follows:

Sopranos -- 5 plus one from GH
Altos -- 3 plus me plus one from GH
Tenors -- 4
Baritones -- 3

Plus one additional male singer that Steve has mentioned brings us to 19!

April

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Mass?

Post by King » Sat May 10, 2003 11:37 pm

Just one concern I have about the NEARfest weekend. Maybe I havn't thought this through well enough but what time do events start on Sunday morning? Because I am a Catholic and I need to get to mass on Sunday morning (or Saturday night, which I think is not an option). I won't have a car with me so unless there is a church really close by I would need a ride, and I wouldn't want to go alone anyway. I can't imagine that there aren't other Christians or even Catholics in the choir or at the festival who dont have the same questions. Well just to put it out there if anyone has plans or knows the scoop. Im sure we will work it out :?

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Sunday at NF

Post by CanarioAB » Sat May 10, 2003 11:49 pm

The first band goes on at 11am. We were hoping to rehearse one last time for any bug-fixing at 9am, until @10:30. Perhaps there is a mass you can attend Saturday, however we also plan on rehearsing during the dinner break on Saturday. These rehearsals are vital as we don't get a band rehearsal, and will have lots of cues and potential problem spots to go over. Perhaps if we rehearse from 6-7:30pm on Saturday, you could find a 7:30 mass in Trenton, and just be a little late for Magma? I hope you can work something out.

April

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Also, in re: balance etc.

Post by CanarioAB » Sat May 10, 2003 11:54 pm

Currenty, I am 'Chronos Deliverer' for SAB, 'When We Were Young' for Choir 1-SA/Choir 2-TB, and 'Heaven' for SATB. I am also considering having just female voices on 'Chronos Deliverer'; as I continue to finalize the parts this week I will firm that up. Steve et al., please feel free to comment :D

April

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Oops

Post by CanarioAB » Sat May 10, 2003 11:55 pm

That should have read, 'I am SCORING 'Chronos Deliverer' ... etc. !!

AB

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon May 12, 2003 7:13 pm

Hey, King, my dad and I are catholics too, so we can band together for finding a good Mass to go to. Have you checked http://www.masstimes.org? There are a ton of times to go to Mass in a ton of churches. I have never been to Trenton, though, so I don't know how close they'd be. There are a lot of 4 PM masses that might work... I don't know. Is anyone familiar enough with Trenton to tell how close there churches are to NEARfest?