NF 05

GH's breakthrough show from summer '03

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen, CanarioAB

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm

What ya'll are forgettin' is ghetto koolaid. With several cups of sugar added to the mix.
Now that's Southern.
8)
So, since this is a NEARFest thread.
It rocked. The music was great.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Bogatyr wrote:Hmmmm...lutefisk or philly cheesesteak....how bout Philly codfish soaked in lye sandwiches! Oh, ya-hey!

for that, I ban you from philly forever. lol
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Fred/Steve/Bethany, you talked about the show itself, but havent really said anything about what it was like selling your new cd there:
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Well, its always cool meeting new people and taking their money - uh, I mean sharing our music with them. 8) :lol:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:35 pm

FredProgGH wrote:I tend to agree with your review with the exception of loving PFM and really like Mathew's solo set a lot. Maybe he is an aquired taste but I think he's a tremendous talent. Did you ever listen to his old band, Discipline??

Yes, I have heard Discipline, in fact I own the CD, its very good. I just never got into that stripped down sound thing, or singer/songwriter type of music. I'm mostly into full lush sounds (symphonic prog, classical etc.) or very agressive music (prog-metal, fusion). I really don't get much enjoyment by minimalism in music. If it is that style, the melodies better be very strong. I'm not a lyric guy, its just not something I pay much attention to (unless I find it offensive). I also can't get past Parmenter's makeup, looks too much like a mime, and we all know mimes are evil! :twisted:
And now for something completly different...

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Bnielsen wrote:hey moose- did i get to meet you there this year? my mind is STILL wasted

I'm not sure, I talked to SO many people. Kind of have to since I go alone. I was kind of hard to miss as I was one of only a few people walking with a cane, and I had red backpack. Were you at either of the parties on Saturday or Sunday at Comfort Suites?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:43 pm

ok- did you go to the band/NF vendor room at all?
Brian Nielsen

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:11 pm

He was totally there! You were just too busy making fun of the band's accents or something. I got to talk to yyzmoose, nyah nyah. :P
Just kidding.
It was a lot of fun getting to talk to so many people, and getting to go into detail about just how awesome this double disc album really is. People are so supportive of GH, and that makes selling CDs incredibly easy. And hanging with Fred and Steve is always hilarious.

Tasty kakes, anyone? :D
Who do you think I'll be without you?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:39 pm

Oh yes - Fred and Bethy introduced me to Tasty Kakes.
Sweet Cup'n Cakes but weren't they just yummy! I had a blueberry.
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:50 pm

steve- i'll ship them to ya for a nominal charge. garsh... all their stuff is so good
Brian Nielsen

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:25 am

I hope everyone remembered to go and see some music in between gorging on cakes!

Mmmm...Italian Prog....arrgggggg!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:50 am

That's right! I do seem to recall some musical interludes here and there. In order of greatness: PFM, Kenso, Le Orme, IQ, ProtoKaw, Wobbler, Steve Roach, Matthew Parmenter, Frogg Cafe (what I saw of them). Walked out on Present, Muffins bored me to sleep, Knight Area's singer was a total ponce and ruined everything. IQ did an outstanding job, especially considering the fact that a certain band member from Present intentionally zeroed out their soundboard just before curtain as revenge for no encore. I'd have opened up a can of whoop-ass on that guy and shoved his Barbie dolls where the good Lord split him, but IQ apparently has more class than me.......
Wheee!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm

Is that official about Present screwing with the board? Man! I gotta tell you. I can be pretty passive and I try to be a nice guy, but if another band or any individual sabotaged a GH show and I knew it - I'd be on the phone with the attorneys really quick. That's just awful!
Steve

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:31 pm

EIwing wrote:He was totally there! You were just too busy making fun of the band's accents or something. I got to talk to yyzmoose, nyah nyah. :P
Just kidding.
It was a lot of fun getting to talk to so many people, and getting to go into detail about just how awesome this double disc album really is. People are so supportive of GH, and that makes selling CDs incredibly easy. And hanging with Fred and Steve is always hilarious.

:D

Yes, we talked about the hotel "concert" on the DVD and of course "IS". You do a great job selling the band, and of course the new album. Of course it doesn't hurt from a marketing standpoint having someone there who is easy on the eyes... But you are obviously genuine in your enthusiasm. As for Tast Kakes, that reminds me about all the JUNK I ate over NF weekend. If I see another Yodel I'll scream! :shock: :x Then I'll throw up.

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:33 pm

How was the new drummer with IQ? I believe this was his first live gig with the band. And, Steve Roach was there??? He's a favorite electronic musician of mine.

Horrible thing for Present to do. Karma will likely rear its balancing head in their direction.