NF 05

GH's breakthrough show from summer '03

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen, CanarioAB

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:39 pm

have you heard presents 'music'? karma is ALREADY against them lol...

seriously... in 4 years of nearfests, ive never seen so many people leave during a show going "It sounded like they were killing a cat' 'oh my, they SUCKED' or 'and they call that music?

mr parmenter actually scolded me for dissaproving of them so strongly =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:17 pm

I say, Matt Parmenter was really a pleasant suprise.
I really liked his music, lyric-wise, and it all seemed genuinely heartfelt.
And his in between song comments were seriously funny.
Who do you think I'll be without you?

Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Bogatyr » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Yeah, Steve it's true. John Jowitt was content to say "what happens in Bethlehem, stays in Bethlehem". It should suffice to say they'll never appear on the same bill ever again
Wheee!

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:52 pm

I've never heard Present's music. Sounds like it's better left skipped!

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:21 pm

Present is the kind of music that would probably be playing at the gates of hell. For the life of me I don't understand what people get out of them. I do like some dark music, but they take it WAY too far. But its the repetition that really drove me crazy. Strong musicians just playing really awful music. If that is true about them messing with IQ's board, they should be banned from all future festivals, and yes, a suit should be filed. That would be a black mark on Nearfest all because of one low life. Lets hope its not true.
And now for something completly different...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:47 pm

I didn't know Present did that- what a jerky thing, and for guys older than we are. As for their music- I saw them right here in Chattanooga in '98 or something and I have their album Certitudes and I rather like it, when I'm in that mood. Back then they were dissonant and weird but it was definitely music. They have apparently "evolved" beyond that stage *lol* What I saw at NEARfest sounded like a jet plane taking off while a guy in a kilt banged a pipe. It was pretty painful. Oh well, I'm happy they are out there for the people that are into it but it's not me bag. I still like Certitudes though.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:05 pm

The Present thing is still only a rumour as far as I know, and hopefully a false one. I kind of upset a few people mentioning it on Progressvieeaers, including Rob Laduca, so I'm dropping the subject.
And now for something completly different...

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:32 am

yyzmoose wrote:The Present thing is still only a rumour as far as I know, and hopefully a false one. I kind of upset a few people mentioning it on Progressvieeaers, including Rob Laduca, so I'm dropping the subject.
Yeha, I talked to rob and chad about that- please spread not the rumour.
Brian Nielsen

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:38 am

The thread on PE was entitled 'IQ vs. Present?', and has been deleted. The guys from IQ were pretty convinced but have no proof. Somebody from Present that's on PE got pretty annoyed about it on the thread before it was closed, claiming that all band members and crew were actually off-set and having dinner with Rob directly after the Present set (although the dinner break was well over 2 hours, so it could have been anyone during that time). Suffice it to say that all of their monitor settings had been reset to zero when they took the stage, so it certainly looked deliberate, and it threw off their first few songs. Regardless of who it was, it was a childish and stupid thing to do. Rob can get his knickers in a twist all he wants, but the guys from IQ would be the last ones to voice even a veiled accusation if they weren't pretty doggone sure. Somebody did it but we'll never know who.
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 am

BTW, Andy Edwards, the new IQ drummer, was spot-on. I thought he did a fine job, altho he said afterwards that he felt a bit tentative in spots. This was actually his second IQ gig; they played in Montreal on Thursday night, then drove down to Bethlehem. Several dozen of us had a welcome party for them at the BrewWorks on Saturday afternoon (held then because Peter had to leave early Sunday morning).

JJ said that Andy probably knew the parts better than anyone else in the band!

For those of you who enjoyed them, I understand they are very likely to release a DVD of their set :).
April
http://progpalaceradio.com

dragonflame713

Post by dragonflame713 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:13 am

CanarioAB wrote:
For those of you who enjoyed them, I understand they are very likely to release a DVD of their set :).
Really? This is very cool! I still have to get the Subterrania DVD, I am still thrilled that my cheap Cyberhome (and my old Coby) DVD players will play PAL on my TV. :)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:26 pm

Regarding the soundboard story...
From Rob @ Nearfest:
Martin Orford wrote me to say "it's over, we'll never know what happened or why, let's not worry about it anymore"
Brian Nielsen

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:25 am

Bnielsen wrote:Fred/Steve/Bethany, you talked about the show itself, but havent really said anything about what it was like selling your new cd there:
They did pretty kickass business from the looks of it. I had the table next to them and took notes. I was most impressed with the CD holders, but I think they envied my listening booth.

Regards,
Sean

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:14 am

lol, a peice or paper with "listening booth" and a pair of walkmans with headphones barely counts! ;-)
Brian Nielsen

EIwing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by EIwing » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:58 am

I was jealous of it... 8)
Who do you think I'll be without you?