Revisiting "Behind the great beyond"

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Revisiting "Behind the great beyond"

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:04 am

"Shadowlands" has always been a fav of mine, but I've always kind of lost interest after "Longer". I always thought that BTGB had its moments, but was not a consistant epic that grabbed and kept my attention. Well, just in the last few days after listening to it cranked in the car my opinion has radically changed. As much as I love KOTK and Arianna this is now my favorite GH super epic, and one of my fav GH songs. I just love the way it flows, and the way the accoustic guitars are blended in and bring the melody back in towards the end. A stunner!, and much underrated and overlooked GH classic! It's funny how a little time and perspective can change your opinion sometimes!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

bb
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bb » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:19 pm

BTGB has lots of very excellent things in it, although I can't say it's my overall favorite.

It is unique in one way, though: it has a lyric that actually grabbed my attention, and on the first hearing yet. I don't normally pay the slightest attention to the words of a song (who knows why, I just don't); but the "why would a person waste time" verse just about knocked me over. I remember replaying those few minutes several times, and it's still my favorite part of the piece. (And is still one of the few lyric verses that I actually notice.)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:02 pm

Yes! I am *soo* going to listen to this one agian, I truly love those lyrics, and the ones on A Cup of Trembling
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:18 am

Funny you should mention COT-another great overlooked song!!!I was so stoked when they played this at the Tivoli shows-it sounded awesome, David added alot, seemed to be alot harder edged overall. I love when songs just seem to grab you after you've listened to them for months or years, and then something just clicks, and its like a whole new experience!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 am

It wasnt hard enough at Live at Nearfest?! :shock:
Brian Nielsen

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:54 pm

It seemed to be harder at the Tivoli fer sure-probably had something to do with "Shreddy"!Great tune-hopefully we'll get to see the official DVD soon.

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:39 am

I'll be honest: it takes me a while longer to really get and/or like songs above the fifteen minute mark. BTGB started out that way, but it's probably now my second favorite Glass Hammer song. You have no idea what's coming when the classical music starts you off, heh. And those versus right after the 10:00 minute mark... just awesome.

Shadowlands became my fav GH album after finally getting into this song.

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:49 pm

NelStone wrote:I'll be honest: it takes me a while longer to really get and/or like songs above the fifteen minute mark. BTGB started out that way, but it's probably now my second favorite Glass Hammer song. You have no idea what's coming when the classical music starts you off, heh. And those versus right after the 10:00 minute mark... just awesome.

Shadowlands became my fav GH album after finally getting into this song.
It really does grow on you. So does In the Court of Alkinoos...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Like a fungus!!

:P
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Like a fungus!!

I've said it before: In the Court of Alkinoos remains in my mind as the pinnacle of both songwriting and musicianship that I've heard in any GH yet =)

More than that, the actual style and instrument selection is simply sublime =p

I love it guys... really!
Brian Nielsen

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Bnielsen wrote:
FredProgGH wrote:Like a fungus!!

I've said it before: In the Court of Alkinoos remains in my mind as the pinnacle of both songwriting and musicianship that I've heard in any GH yet =)

More than that, the actual style and instrument selection is simply sublime =p

I love it guys... really!
Where can I find this track?
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 pm

It's on the Complilations CD, or you can buy it on iTunes, or as part of the Odyssey Project compilation, for what it was originally written.
Brian Nielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Behind the Great Beyond may perhaps be my favorite song of all time, though that, of course, is subject to change. I really agree with what you said, though, and I know originally I did not like this song at ALL! But, after a few listens, one really starts to appreciate the build-up, the VERY profound lyrics throughout, excellent writing/musicianship, and I know I really warmed up to the classical intro. I will probably be picking up the Compilations sometime within a month, so In the Court of Alkinoos may perhaps win out in the end...

>:)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.