shadowlands , c.s. lewis?

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Blainefabin

shadowlands , c.s. lewis?

Post by Blainefabin » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:32 am

Looking forward to the new GH album. With a name like shadowlands one has to wonder if it has anything to do with c.s. lewis. I read this will not be a concept album, but are there songs that may reflect some of the subject matter of shadowlands?

one last thought, after doing such great albums on the work of lewis and tolkien, have you ever thought of tackling the 3rd inkling, charles williams..? that would be spectacular.

mike

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: shadowlands , c.s. lewis?

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:12 pm

Blainefabin wrote:Looking forward to the new GH album. With a name like shadowlands one has to wonder if it has anything to do with c.s. lewis. I read this will not be a concept album, but are there songs that may reflect some of the subject matter of shadowlands?

one last thought, after doing such great albums on the work of lewis and tolkien, have you ever thought of tackling the 3rd inkling, charles williams..? that would be spectacular.

mike
1. Don't be upset with me, but no - this isn't going to be a Lewis inspired album. There is a song on the disc called "Farewell To Shadowlands", and of course I borrowed the idea from Lewis. The song is basically a prayer. After reading the words, the title seemed to suggest itself. Several weeks later we were looking for an album title, and a few of the inner circle suggested Shadowlands. It seems to fit.
2. I confess I haven't read Williams yet. But I am intrigued. I plan to check out all of the inklings at some point in the future.
Suggestions?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Re: shadowlands , c.s. lewis?

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:14 pm

1. Don't be upset with me, but no - this isn't going to be a Lewis inspired album. There is a song on the disc called "Farewell To Shadowlands", and of course I borrowed the idea from Lewis. The song is basically a prayer. After reading the words, the title seemed to suggest itself. Several weeks later we were looking for an album title, and a few of the inner circle suggested Shadowlands. It seems to fit.
2. I confess I haven't read Williams yet. But I am intrigued. I plan to check out all of the inklings at some point in the future.
Suggestions?
Steve
No worries, it is a good title. ;)

Williams writing is a lot like Lewis' in "Hideous Strenth". My fav's are "All Hallows Eve" and "The Greater Trumps", though I have to admit they are all great. I think the combined criticism they offered each other as inklings really paid off, not only in great stories but great thought as well.

Mike