Update 10/9/03

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Post Reply
User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Update 10/9/03

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:55 am

Greetings all,
There will be an actual SHADOWLANDS section linked from the main page soon. This page will feature the album cover, new video, pictures, and an interview and story about the album.
Hmm.. what else? :cat:
If we could just squeeze in two days we'd be done with this! I think we'll have time next week to finish the whole thing. The mixes are sounding really good, but we're being extra careful with the e.q.

NOW HEAR THIS! :idea: We are really counting on you guys to spread the word to the other progressive rock forums and newsgroups. alt.music.yes, progressiveears.com, etc. When this album hits, we need those Amazon.com reviews up fast, and we need you to tell as many people as possible. We are STILL an indie group with no label support. We do have some folks helping with the promo, video and photography; and we do have distributors. But GH needs to grow this year. This album is a really good one, and we want people to know about it.
Okay - enough of that.
Back to work... :sprite:
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:18 pm

Finish?!? So soon!? Does that mean, like... we will hold the empty shadolwands CD case (being that the cd will be in the cd player of course) within... a month?
Or am I being a little to optimistic?
either way I'm excited! And I will indeed write another amazon review... if I get some more brownie points, right? ;);)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:15 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Finish?!? So soon!? Does that mean, like... we will hold the empty shadolwands CD case (being that the cd will be in the cd player of course) within... a month?
Or am I being a little to optimistic?
either way I'm excited! And I will indeed write another amazon review... if I get some more brownie points, right? ;);)
I'm hoping to hold it in 'my' hand within 6 weeks. Then we shall see :)
And yes, I'm prepared to shower you with brownie points!
Steve :D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:28 pm

Yay! We'll have the album around Christmas! (that's my prediction, from your own time estimate.) the only thing is, I'm guessing that you'll try to get this out of the way before the Tolkien Gathering in Toronto. So maybe like, beginning of december. That still seems a little early... hmmm... it's a mystery!
You know what, Steve? You should start an online brownie points store. 5 brownie points earns you some real certified GH lint, 10 brownie points will earn you good kharma, and 15,000 brownie points is enough to get your CD's autographed and your car waxed and polished by Steve himself. ;)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:52 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:Yay! We'll have the album around Christmas! (that's my prediction, from your own time estimate.) the only thing is, I'm guessing that you'll try to get this out of the way before the Tolkien Gathering in Toronto. So maybe like, beginning of december. That still seems a little early... hmmm... it's a mystery!
You know what, Steve? You should start an online brownie points store. 5 brownie points earns you some real certified GH lint, 10 brownie points will earn you good kharma, and 15,000 brownie points is enough to get your CD's autographed and your car waxed and polished by Steve himself. ;)
Which reminds me, I need to 'have' my car washed. I have never waxed a car on my own accord, but I did cut down a tree in the backyard the other day with a chain saw. Yes, I have purchased my very own chain saw. The instructions remind me not to use it 'if I am upset'. That's probably wise advice.
Tell you what, we'll have to come up with another reward system. Brownie points are fine, lint is fine, but karma sounds too eastern and certainly not Christian, and manual labor is right out!
:)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:05 pm

See, there's the beauty of it! I know you don't believe in kharma! So you don't really have to give them anything, just make they think they're getting something! The emperor's new... kharma. Hmm... that doesn't flow somehow. Maybe the Brownie Points Store can purchase things like your very own glow-in-the-dark electric pencil sharpener, or light-up letter opener with sound effects. That would be so cool! Go for it, Steve!
And then the Grand Brownie Points Store Prize would be something like an official autographed copy of the CD that hasn't been written yet, shipped by 2 day express mail. But aside from the fact that not even Steve and Fred have heard if before, this CD is even more special; you can only hear it if you're a true GH fan. If you don't hear it, you must have a secret attatchment to (God forbid) your old copies of Paul Clark (gasp!).
That is so it. Wow, I'm good! You should hire me to be your publicist. We could even have Glass Hammer Super Posable Action Figures, with Super Cool Instrument Playing Actions - they'd sell out so fast you'd be millionares within the day! haha! And that's only the start of my Evil Plans to take over the wor... -er... my plans... to... promote prog? ;)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:25 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:
That is so it. Wow, I'm good! You should hire me to be your publicist. We could even have Glass Hammer Super Posable Action Figures, with Super Cool Instrument Playing Actions - they'd sell out so fast you'd be millionares within the day! haha! And that's only the start of my Evil Plans to take over the wor... -er... my plans... to... promote prog? ;)
Why of course. The accessories would be cool to. Vintage gear, modern recording gadgets, a little studio to set them up in. Hey, who needs action figures? We could do it with our actual selves, and just charge people by the hour to watch us work. Real Live Action Figures with an hourly rate! Oh yeah, we already do that. :oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:28 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Alatar » Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:56 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Which reminds me, I need to 'have' my car washed. I have never waxed a car on my own accord, but I did cut down a tree in the backyard the other day with a chain saw. Yes, I have purchased my very own chain saw.
It's good that you chopped down the tree yourself rather than got someon in. Last time one of my order hired people to chop down trees, they came in complaining that it was too hard. "The roots go deep, master", they said. But he told them to get rid of the lot. A bit of a mistake really. Sometimes when you chop down too many trees the water table rises, bringing up salt. Salinity, however, were the least of this guys worries, and what followed was strangely reminiscent of McBeth.

I think I'll be quiet now.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

User avatar
Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:28 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Alatar » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:13 am

On reviews, I will probably write a review for Ground and Sky sometime in January. Unless I think the album is terrible, but that's unlikely.
I always write honest reviews though, and unless somebody knows my style I can come across as overly critical. Mind you I said Lex Rex should be compared with albums like "Script for a Jester's Tear" in terms of classic albums. And I like Lex Rex moer now than I did when I wrote the review.
I've never been too impressed with Amazon as a forum for balanced opinion, but if it will help you guys out I'll write a review there too.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:13 pm

Alatar wrote:On reviews, I will probably write a review for Ground and Sky sometime in January. Unless I think the album is terrible, but that's unlikely.
I always write honest reviews though, and unless somebody knows my style I can come across as overly critical. Mind you I said Lex Rex should be compared with albums like "Script for a Jester's Tear" in terms of classic albums. And I like Lex Rex moer now than I did when I wrote the review.
I've never been too impressed with Amazon as a forum for balanced opinion, but if it will help you guys out I'll write a review there too.
Hmm.. Then when you right a review for Shadowlands, keep in mind you'll like it even better after a few months have gone by. Write the review you'd write then :)
As for Amazon....good reviews do help. The bad ones certainly hurt.
thanks in advance!
Steve :D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:15 pm

Alatar wrote:It's good that you chopped down the tree yourself rather than got someon in. Last time one of my order hired people to chop down trees, they came in complaining that it was too hard. "The roots go deep, master", they said. But he told them to get rid of the lot. A bit of a mistake really. Sometimes when you chop down too many trees the water table rises, bringing up salt. Salinity, however, were the least of this guys worries, and what followed was strangely reminiscent of McBeth.
lol - Yeah, I suppose you never know, with Steve's mystical residence. With the path that always changes or whatever. I don't even remember. You know what I'm talking about, though, right? like on the GH adventure CD? Ok never mind.

Hey, you could make a lot more money off of your live action figures if you could negate plane ticket $. You know, brainwash the airline CEOs with your magic Prog Mind Meld to make them let all GH fans have free passage. Or hire Gandalf to do that. Or maybe just invent a way to teleport. Whatever the case, you'd sure be seeing a lot more of me, for one, and a lot of other people as well, I'm guessing. (which might be a good thing...) Too bad though. :dance: $_$ :dance:

On an actual seriously serious note (from me! isn't it amazing?) Glass Hammer mugs would rock. As in, a nice big one to hold coffee or tea or any other form of morning's lifeblood. Like not just a coffee mug, but one with a cover that you can stick in a cupholder - like those Super America ones? Yes? Wouldn't that rock? I would so buy one of those. I'd bring it to school and lots of other places, and you'd get more free advertising! No, advertising that you make a profit out of! Actually, I didn't even think of this. Another fan did, emailing me to ask if I sold GH merchandise off of GHfan.net. I so wish I did! As soon as I have enough time to check around on the internet, it may actually happen, but until then I think I'll just bug steve about it because we all know that he's got absoultely nothing else to do with his time. (rofl ;))
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:10 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:
Alatar wrote:. but until then I think I'll just bug steve about it because we all know that he's got absoultely nothing else to do with his time. (rofl ;))[/color]
You know, I'd love to have a whole 'line' of GH merchandise! But those pesky albums keep getting in the way!
Steve
:banghead:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:29 pm

Your problem is obvious. Stop writing the stupid music, for crying out loud!

Some people... You really do need a publicist, to see these things clearly...
:roll:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:31 pm

i'm sorry! i'm sorry! I can't even pretend for a minute! You worry about the music, and when I get some time, I'll worry about the merchandise. Muahahhahahaha.... :deal:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Post Reply