Happy Owner of New CD

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Happy Owner of New CD

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:48 pm

Got it today! Well, acutally, my dad got it today and has the CD itself in some unknown location, and he's not home yet so I can't ask, but I found the music tracks on iTunes folder on the computer and am listening to it as I speak.

I refrain from any futher comment yet, until I have listened to it a bunch more. I never make up my mind quickly. But I like it, which is a safe statement to say so far. Can't yet compare it to anything until I get to know it more. :)

I *think* so far my favorite track is Beyond the Great Beyond or Run Lisette. Or maybe Farewell to Shadowlands. i don't know. I'm going to stop now.

But I just wanted to share my joy at having it. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:11 pm

Now that I've had a chance to listen to it more, this is my overall review, where each song is rated by bunnies, 5 max, 0 min:

1. So Close, So Far Away :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: & 1/2
I love the intro, and the more I hear, the more I appreciate the melody. It’s another one of those more lex rex-like songs. It still seems a little disconnected though. I like the main vocal parts, but then the other interspersed parts are a little weird (e.g. 3:00ish into the song).

2. Run Lisette :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
I love this song. The female vocals are great. Gorgeous. “It was one in a million” - love that part. But there was something that was different from the vocal mix that made it a little less cool that Tales or One King. It took me so long to figure it out, but I finally did. Know what it is? Steve's voice. Well, the lack thereof. There's Susie, Susie, and Bethany (I think?) but no Steve in the really vocally complex sections. I never really realized the depth and uniqueness of sound that he throws into the mix – it’s awesome! Anyway, so that's the lex rex sound that I love so much - when you have everyone together, including Steve, and what's here is beautiful, but very different. I'll get used to it eventually I'm sure.
Ok, in that last 30 seconds, I hear an exact melody from Camel - "Breathless", the line "nobody knows her name/no one knows how she came..." Did anyone else notice this, or am I just insane? Wait... don't answer that.

3. Farewell to Shadowlands :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
This sounds like the bridge song from Lex Rex, I think. I really like it. It may be my favorite. Very nice mix of vocals. :) Yay! The lyrics are so cool, and I love the way it all fits together. The instruments rock too. I don’t really know what else of intelligence to say, but it’s really cool.

4. Longer :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
Love the intro. So, from what I gather, this was something written in the 70’s and it's been progged up just for kicks. :lol: Yeah, really sounds like a GH thing to do. It’s kind of weird, just because GH obviously didn’t write it, but I like what they did with it. :)

5. Beyond the Great Beyond :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
This song is so epic. I love it. “Questions, enigmas...” I love that part - so majestic. Wow. Awesome. And then just listening to the words... It draws me in deeper every time. And then there are all the hundreds of creative ways to bring up the same theme, from the little solo guitar thing to the fugue... (or is it a pseudo fugue? Whatever.) It reminds me a lot of Yes. I don’t listen to that much Yes, but the guitar thing especially kind of sounds like them. I really like the lyrics – long live the philosopher! Hey! I'm recognizing the same exact synth sound as on Chronometree at the beginning! heehee! fun!
Actually I think this song is my favorite from this album. Almost up there with Heaven, WWWY, & H&D. Almost. Kind of like 1/2 a Heaven. Actually, nothing can beat Heaven. But this song is almost on level with WWWY. :)

This album ROCKS! If you haven'r ordered it yet, do so NOW! It is worth every cent!!! :cackle:

And BTW, the lyrics are all up at http://www.ghfan.net, so i highly recommend you go look at their awesomeness.
Last edited by Sam Gamgee on Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiralsource

Post by spiralsource » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:41 pm

Awesome. I haven't got mine yet. :(
[b]Landon[/b]
the Spiral Source

[i]Heed this message, Tom![/i]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:48 pm

It will be worth the wait.

How could I have forgotten?! I must add, for So Close, So Far Away: Flo, you rock. Gorgeous voice. :cackle: That's one of the highlights of that song for me.

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:42 am

Aw Shucks, thanks Steph! :oops: that means a lot coming from such a strong critic (and I mean that in a good way!) and GH fan!!

I think my favorite song is "Run Lisette"..I think Sus and Bethany's parts are so beautiful, and then I find myself cracking up because I remember what the song is about!

I'll be zoning, thinking,"ahh, pretty music" and then it's ALWAYS at the part:

"She bit everyone
She had murder in her heart
When she took him by the throat and rode away"

that I snap back to reality and the lyrics actually make it to my brain, and it's such an odd mix of lovely and, well..gory, it's just funny.
Oh my goodness, it makes me laugh now.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:55 am

I asked for Shadowlands for Christmas, along with Perelandra and On To Evermore. I'll know within three days how that turns out.

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:28 am

johnc wrote:I asked for Shadowlands for Christmas, along with Perelandra and On To Evermore. I'll know within three days how that turns out.

johnc
Have you been a good boy?
Hey Flo! Thanks for having the proper and intended reaction to Run Lisette. It was supposed to be a pretty song about a horse that bites and disembowels people - and it is :)
And BTW foks - the actual story is linked from the interview on the Shadowlands page! Read and weep (with laughter)...
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:09 am

I haven't gotten one yet either, but I hope to soon.

April

spiralsource

Post by spiralsource » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:16 pm

I think Lisette ran off with my copy. :eyebrow:
[b]Landon[/b]
the Spiral Source

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:43 pm

spiralsource wrote:I think Lisette ran off with my copy. :eyebrow:
Lisette will run off with cds. I should have warned everyone. She bites, she kills, she covets GH cds. Beware...
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

spiralsource

Post by spiralsource » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:59 pm

Wahaha! I had it all along! My grandmother snatched it from the mail before I had a chance and wrapped it. So, I got it tonight. Listening now! I started listening to 'Longer' and was like, "hey, I know this song!" I love the GH version very much. Excellent stuff! I'll be listening to it over and over for the next month!

Merry Christmas,
Landon
[b]Landon[/b]
the Spiral Source

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:21 pm

About 50 seconds into Run Lisette, theres a bass line countered by more at 1:00 that sounds very much ike the melody to "Iche Laughe, Iche Freude" a neat choral peince in german.. intentional at all?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:45 am

Bnielsen wrote:About 50 seconds into Run Lisette, theres a bass line countered by more at 1:00 that sounds very much ike the melody to "Iche Laughe, Iche Freude" a neat choral peince in german.. intentional at all?
No intentional quotes within Lisette. One pipe organ section (of 4 chords) reminds me of something on Going For The One (YES). There's a reworking of an ancient chord progression from an old piano book in the section just before the female vocals come in - otherwise it all leaked from my weary brain.
Steve

spiralsource

Post by spiralsource » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:15 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:otherwise it all leaked from my weary brain.
It's kinda weird how things you write yourself end up being heard in someone else's music later on. I've come up with some ideas and then later I hear some band playing those exact notes. The bastards are copying me in advance!
[b]Landon[/b]
the Spiral Source

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:19 pm

spiralsource wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:otherwise it all leaked from my weary brain.
It's kinda weird how things you write yourself end up being heard in someone else's music later on. I've come up with some ideas and then later I hear some band playing those exact notes. The bastards are copying me in advance!
My feelings exactly! lol