Happy Owner of New CD

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:31 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Have you been a good boy?

I must not have been!! No Triple Crown of GH CDs (Shadowlands, Perelandra, On To Evermore) awaited me under da tree yesterday morning!! Awright, Santa!! Drop the ball on me, will ya?? I'll just order 'em from the website meself!!

...which I did, last night. Here's more of the checking-out-the-back-catalog action. Several fans I've talked with seem to regard Perelandra as one of the band's historically-proven best CDs, along with Lex Rex.

Also historically proven is the quick turnaround time when one places an order with Sound Resources. I had LR and C-tree in my grubby little hands within, I think, four days after I placed my order last August. Rock on.

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:16 am

johnc wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:Have you been a good boy?

I must not have been!! No Triple Crown of GH CDs (Shadowlands, Perelandra, On To Evermore) awaited me under da tree yesterday morning!! Awright, Santa!! Drop the ball on me, will ya?? I'll just order 'em from the website meself!!

...which I did, last night. Here's more of the checking-out-the-back-catalog action. Several fans I've talked with seem to regard Perelandra as one of the band's historically-proven best CDs, along with Lex Rex.

Also historically proven is the quick turnaround time when one places an order with Sound Resources. I had LR and C-tree in my grubby little hands within, I think, four days after I placed my order last August. Rock on.

johnc

I think you'll really like Perelandra. There are things about it that I'd do over again if I had the chance, but it is one of our best sounding albums. There was some magic (and prayer) involved in making that album. I believe your albums will be shipped out today!!!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

dragonflame713

Post by dragonflame713 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:08 pm

Just received my copy in the mail today :D Thanks to Steve and Fred for signing it for me! Don't know if it was intentional, but the signatures blend in well with the cover art I must say :)

Just made a little post about this at Progressive Ears a bit ago (planning to review Shadowlands there soon, by the way). The album sound's great, and that song "Run Lisette" is incredible! I plan to finish listening to it when I get home from work tonight, and I really look forward to it. Looks like GH has done it again!

It really was cute to see my 11 year old son Kirk, playing Bomberman on the Nintendo Game Cube, and bouncing around to the beginning part of "Run Lisette" :lol:

Dean

idoron
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by idoron » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:22 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
spiralsource wrote:I think Lisette ran off with my copy. :eyebrow:

Lisette will run off with cds. I should have warned everyone. She bites, she kills, she covets GH cds. Beware...
Steve

Apparently she also has petty theft in her heart.

BTW: I like it a lot too. And not because my wife sings on it.

soulfreq
Amateur
Amateur

Lovin' the CD

Post by soulfreq » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:35 pm

I am enjoying Shadowlands so very much! I got one for me and one for my prog loving son, both autographed (with names spelled right!) and imagine my surprise when I saw my radio show mentioned in the liner notes-that is soooo exciting.

"So Close, So Far" is a great CD opener. I can't believe how cool the "Longer" cover is, and epic "Behind the Great Beyond" is classic. Love that classical acoustic guitar break, and the dramatic lyrics immediately following. Just finished a review of the CD, will let you know when it is posted online!

Thanks-GREAT job Fred, Steve and the rest of the band!

Barry
DJ - Show Host - Not Afraid of Keyboards

Check out the Zine - http://www.soulfrequency.com

ProgMetalFusion

Post by ProgMetalFusion » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:29 pm

After listening to Shadowlands pretty much non-stop since I got it, I have to say that I think it's the best progressive rock album I've heard this year. Not only that, I have to say that I think it's a magnificent, majestic, magical tour de force, a masterwork in every sense of the term, and a future classic of the genre. I always knew that Mssrs. Babb and Schendel had it in them to make an album this good, and it's thrilling to see them finally live up to that promise.

I would like to express my deepest thanks to everyone involved for making an album so beautiful in its transcendent perfection that it brings me all the way back to when I was fourteen, fifteen years old and just hearing prog bands like Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Kansas and UK (just to name a few great bands) for the first time. Thank you for creating a track so extraordinary ("Run, Lisette") that it nearly brings me to tears of joy. Thank you, in fact, for the strongest opening trio of songs in recent memory - "So Close, So Far," the aforementioned "Run, Lisette" and "Farewell to Shadowlands." Thank you for reminding us of the glorious power, the silken strength of pure progressive rock.

This is my first post to the Forum, but it won't be my last. Thanks for reading.

-- Jeff :)
The point of the journey is not to arrive.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:21 pm

Amen to that, brothah! Welcome to the forum! :) And I certainly do hope you post more! Feel right at home.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:12 am

ProgMetalFusion wrote:After listening to Shadowlands pretty much non-stop since I got it, I have to say that I think it's the best progressive rock album I've heard this year. Not only that, I have to say that I think it's a magnificent, majestic, magical tour de force, a masterwork in every sense of the term, and a future classic of the genre. I always knew that Mssrs. Babb and Schendel had it in them to make an album this good, and it's thrilling to see them finally live up to that promise.

I would like to express my deepest thanks to everyone involved for making an album so beautiful in its transcendent perfection that it brings me all the way back to when I was fourteen, fifteen years old and just hearing prog bands like Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Kansas and UK (just to name a few great bands) for the first time. Thank you for creating a track so extraordinary ("Run, Lisette") that it nearly brings me to tears of joy. Thank you, in fact, for the strongest opening trio of songs in recent memory - "So Close, So Far," the aforementioned "Run, Lisette" and "Farewell to Shadowlands." Thank you for reminding us of the glorious power, the silken strength of pure progressive rock.

This is my first post to the Forum, but it won't be my last. Thanks for reading.

-- Jeff :)

Wow! Thanks so much for posting!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:44 am

I got mine the day before christmas, but my parents forgot to tell me!!! ("if anything comes from a company called 'Sound Resources', its for me...") So, I got a nice surprise when I sat down to eat breakfast on christmas morning :D ! Sounds great so far, I especially like Beyond the Great Beyond, although I guess I am a little biased, having discovered its title before the album's release by my studious obsession with Lex Rex [accepts applause] :lol: .
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:38 am

Theremin wrote:I got mine the day before christmas, but my parents forgot to tell me!!! ("if anything comes from a company called 'Sound Resources', its for me...") So, I got a nice surprise when I sat down to eat breakfast on christmas morning :D ! Sounds great so far, I especially like Beyond the Great Beyond, although I guess I am a little biased, having discovered its title before the album's release by my studious obsession with Lex Rex [accepts applause] :lol: .

Good job! But there are no clues on this new album about the next one. So just enjoy it! lol
Steve

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:59 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:I think you'll really like Perelandra. There are things about it that I'd do over again if I had the chance, but it is one of our best sounding albums. There was some magic (and prayer) involved in making that album. I believe your albums will be shipped out today!!!

"Today" was Saturday the 27th. "Yesterday," as I type this, was Monday the 29th. On that day I looked in my mailbox, and behold! A package with the name Sound Resources!

(...with a return address on Longview Rd!! Hahaha! Nice job locating your business there, Mr. Mayor!!)

Thanks for the under-four-days turnaround time. Well done, guys.

First to say hello to the CD player was Perelandra, then Shadowlands. First impression? No disappointments. I dig it. More comments to come later.

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:57 pm

johnc wrote:
MayorOfLongview wrote:I think you'll really like Perelandra. There are things about it that I'd do over again if I had the chance, but it is one of our best sounding albums. There was some magic (and prayer) involved in making that album. I believe your albums will be shipped out today!!!

"Today" was Saturday the 27th. "Yesterday," as I type this, was Monday the 29th. On that day I looked in my mailbox, and behold! A package with the name Sound Resources!

(...with a return address on Longview Rd!! Hahaha! Nice job locating your business there, Mr. Mayor!!)

Thanks for the under-four-days turnaround time. Well done, guys.

First to say hello to the CD player was Perelandra, then Shadowlands. First impression? No disappointments. I dig it. More comments to come later.

johnc

Indeed I am the Mayor of Longview (country of Evermore). "here we are sitting on his patio - all around, the animals of Evermore". Sure enough we used to all hang out on my patio with 4 to 5 cats in attendance.
Steve

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:54 am

:oops: I'm sorry! I was so wrapped up in listening to the new album and everything that I completely forgot to thank Steve and Fred for signing my disc. So, thank you Steve and Fred for signing my disc. I suppose it was also due in part to the bewilderment of having people in a band that is not primarily formed of your cousins know that you exist. :lol:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:33 am

Theremin wrote::oops: I'm sorry! I was so wrapped up in listening to the new album and everything that I completely forgot to thank Steve and Fred for signing my disc. So, thank you Steve and Fred for signing my disc. I suppose it was also due in part to the bewilderment of having people in a band that is not primarily formed of your cousins know that you exist. :lol:

Oh don't thank us. We have people do that stuff for us! Actually - our cousins.
<g>
Steve

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:48 pm

I've been inspired to play Shadowlands again. I've had it for 2 weeks, and listened to it several times in the first couple days, but I have not heard it since. I'm quite happy with it, I just had other new music to listen to. I know, shame on me :oops: ! My favorite track is easily 'Run Lisette'. Yes, that horse rocks! The epic at the end is trememndous, and the big surprise is 'Longer'. I have always thought of the original as a lame, syrupy, sappy love song. Now its all of those and prog too! What an inspired idea to cover that. I imagine the band actually likes the original, at least I like what they did to it. The playing on this album is as stellar as usual. But its the vocals that really floor me. The way they are layered is simply breathtaking. And its hard to find prettier female voices (ok, not just their voices :, seeing them at Nearfest was proof of that). No seriously, they sang beautifully on this album. I've listened to so much prog-metal and classic metal lately, I needed something to balance that out. Very early entry as album of the year for 04.....
And now for something completly different...