Behind the Great Beyond - technical difficulties

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Jazz1138

Behind the Great Beyond - technical difficulties

Post by Jazz1138 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:57 pm

This is a great cut! Congrats to Glass Hammer for making such great music.

Unfortunately...I have had a really bad time whenever I try to play this album on my computer. About halfway through the cut it jumps and skips, rendering it unlistenable. The CD looks nice, clean and new - no scratches - and works fine on my walkman and stereo systems - but it's really a bummer that it wont play well on my computer - since thats where I do most of my music listening. Is this copy protection? or is my CD deffective? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jazz

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum! :) You could upload the mp3's to your computer and listen to the files rather than the CD.

A very strange situation. Mine never did that...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:32 pm

My computer always does that if I am just trying to listen to a CD on it, not just GH. I think it just has something to do with the amount of RAm or your cache size or something. i always just upload it and it is fine. Welcome to the forum. :D
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Behind the Great Beyond - technical difficulties

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:25 am

Jazz1138 wrote:This is a great cut! Congrats to Glass Hammer for making such great music.

Unfortunately...I have had a really bad time whenever I try to play this album on my computer. About halfway through the cut it jumps and skips, rendering it unlistenable. The CD looks nice, clean and new - no scratches - and works fine on my walkman and stereo systems - but it's really a bummer that it wont play well on my computer - since thats where I do most of my music listening. Is this copy protection? or is my CD deffective? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jazz
Welcome to the forum! Sorry about the skipping. I think its just a computer thing. Don't know why.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:44 am

Definately- i cant rip to mp3 or listen to the final 5 minutes of the last track on Shadowlands

I have a similar dificulty with Lex Rex as well... Steve? somthing with the mastering process can be worked out?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:24 am

I think the problem is to do with the length of the CD. I encounter it on my computer with CD's that are close to the 1 hour mark, and so have had this problem with both Lex Rex and Shadowlands.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:46 pm

Thats weird! :?
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:12 pm

Theremin wrote:I think it just has something to do with the amount of RAm or your cache size or something.
Uhh... no... not even close.... ::shudders:: sounds like somthing my mom would say; "Do I need to defrag my monitor? Or maybe its a virus (when her printer runs out of ink)" :P
Brian Nielsen

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:14 pm

I asked my brother about this ... it's not a mastering issue. Have you tried playing it on a regular CD player that's not associated with your computer?

April

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:30 pm

it only happens on PC CDROM or commercial DVD players.... a regualr stereo plays it fine.

i was askign if there was something in the mastering process that could help SOLVE it- i have audio cds with lengths MUCH longer than shadowlands, or lex rez, and they play and RIP with no difficulty. its odd that both GH cds i have have similar problems
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:36 am

Bnielsen wrote:it only happens on PC CDROM or commercial DVD players.... a regualr stereo plays it fine.

i was askign if there was something in the mastering process that could help SOLVE it- i have audio cds with lengths MUCH longer than shadowlands, or lex rez, and they play and RIP with no difficulty. its odd that both GH cds i have have similar problems
If you can't copy in the last song with your pc - something must be wrong with the song. But it does play on other systems right?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:32 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Bnielsen wrote:it only happens on PC CDROM or commercial DVD players.... a regualr stereo plays it fine.

If you can't copy in the last song with your pc - something must be wrong with the song. But it does play on other systems right?
Steve
Yes, the problem definately lies with a PC DVD/CD-ROM drive to be able to read the data towards the ends of both my SL, and LR cds... =)
Brian Nielsen