Behind the Great Beyond - technical difficulties

The eighth album

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Jazz1138

Behind the Great Beyond - technical difficulties

Post by Jazz1138 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:57 pm

This is a great cut! Congrats to Glass Hammer for making such great music.

Unfortunately...I have had a really bad time whenever I try to play this album on my computer. About halfway through the cut it jumps and skips, rendering it unlistenable. The CD looks nice, clean and new - no scratches - and works fine on my walkman and stereo systems - but it's really a bummer that it wont play well on my computer - since thats where I do most of my music listening. Is this copy protection? or is my CD deffective? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jazz

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum! :) You could upload the mp3's to your computer and listen to the files rather than the CD.

A very strange situation. Mine never did that...
Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:32 pm

My computer always does that if I am just trying to listen to a CD on it, not just GH. I think it just has something to do with the amount of RAm or your cache size or something. i always just upload it and it is fine. Welcome to the forum. :D
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Behind the Great Beyond - technical difficulties

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:25 am

Jazz1138 wrote:This is a great cut! Congrats to Glass Hammer for making such great music.

Unfortunately...I have had a really bad time whenever I try to play this album on my computer. About halfway through the cut it jumps and skips, rendering it unlistenable. The CD looks nice, clean and new - no scratches - and works fine on my walkman and stereo systems - but it's really a bummer that it wont play well on my computer - since thats where I do most of my music listening. Is this copy protection? or is my CD deffective? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jazz
Welcome to the forum! Sorry about the skipping. I think its just a computer thing. Don't know why.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:44 am

Definately- i cant rip to mp3 or listen to the final 5 minutes of the last track on Shadowlands

I have a similar dificulty with Lex Rex as well... Steve? somthing with the mastering process can be worked out?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:24 am

I think the problem is to do with the length of the CD. I encounter it on my computer with CD's that are close to the 1 hour mark, and so have had this problem with both Lex Rex and Shadowlands.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:46 pm

Thats weird! :?
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:12 pm

Theremin wrote:I think it just has something to do with the amount of RAm or your cache size or something.
Uhh... no... not even close.... ::shudders:: sounds like somthing my mom would say; "Do I need to defrag my monitor? Or maybe its a virus (when her printer runs out of ink)" :P
Brian Nielsen

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:14 pm

I asked my brother about this ... it's not a mastering issue. Have you tried playing it on a regular CD player that's not associated with your computer?

April

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:30 pm

it only happens on PC CDROM or commercial DVD players.... a regualr stereo plays it fine.

i was askign if there was something in the mastering process that could help SOLVE it- i have audio cds with lengths MUCH longer than shadowlands, or lex rez, and they play and RIP with no difficulty. its odd that both GH cds i have have similar problems
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:36 am

Bnielsen wrote:it only happens on PC CDROM or commercial DVD players.... a regualr stereo plays it fine.

i was askign if there was something in the mastering process that could help SOLVE it- i have audio cds with lengths MUCH longer than shadowlands, or lex rez, and they play and RIP with no difficulty. its odd that both GH cds i have have similar problems
If you can't copy in the last song with your pc - something must be wrong with the song. But it does play on other systems right?
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:32 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:
Bnielsen wrote:it only happens on PC CDROM or commercial DVD players.... a regualr stereo plays it fine.

If you can't copy in the last song with your pc - something must be wrong with the song. But it does play on other systems right?
Steve
Yes, the problem definately lies with a PC DVD/CD-ROM drive to be able to read the data towards the ends of both my SL, and LR cds... =)
Brian Nielsen