Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Critic Reviews 2

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu May 13, 2004 7:04 am

Lex Live DVD
Artist: Glass Hammer
Label: Sound Resources
Length: 8 Tracks/122 Minutes Plus Bonus Features

Chattanooga Tennessee based prog-rock band Glass Hammer has stepped to the plate once again and pounded out a crowd-pleasing, cheer inducing home run!
The Glass Hammer: Lex Live DVD is an extraordinary treat for new and
existing Glass Hammer fans, and for fans of classic-style progressive and
symphonic rock. Lex Live contains several hours of yummy audio and visual treats from an independent band that continues to pleasantly surprise with each successive release. Released just a few months after their latest superlative studio CD Shadowlands (read my review here:
<http://www.tollbooth.org/2003/reviews/ghammer.html>), Lex Live is a treat for the eyes and ears.

One of the wonders of the internet and modern technology is independent
bands like Glass Hammer get a chance to connect with an audience that may have been difficult to reach without label assistance in the "old days."
And the rise of DVD technology with the ability to stuff a project with
bonus material makes a labor of love like Glass Hammer: Lex Live all the
more appealing. Huge budget production? No, but I find DVD concerts like this so much more intriguing than an overly-slick big budget MTV type
extravaganzas. Give me a solid band in an intimate setting with great music any day of the week.

The main event of the DVD is footage from a rare concert appearance by Glass Hammer taped at Rhythm and Brews in Chattanooga in 2003. This is quite a treat for GH fans, because the band does not tour a great deal. The concert is photographed with an array of cameras scattered across the stage (with some home style video edited in). The presentation is clear and professional and not overly slick-which makes the concert seem all the more intimate and endearing. The camera angles and editing do a good job of showing a VERY talented band playing their wonderful brand of classic progressive rock. Multiple close ups of the "dynamic duo" of Glass Hammer, multi-instrumentalists and vocalists Steve Babb and Fred Schendel provide a nice simulation of an on stage experience. Drummer Matt Mendians and vocalist/guitarist Walter Moore are also featured prominently, as well as the angelic choir of background vocalists Flo Paris, Sarah Snyder, and Susie Bogdanowicz.

The "meat" of the DVD are the songs-eight magnificent slices of progress
rock excellence. The sound quality is excellent and it cranked up
wonderfully on my DVD surround sound system. Included on Lex Live are
nearly every cut from the bands landmark Lex Rex recording (RUN, don't walk to pick this CD up), as well as selections from Chronometree. The highlight of the production is the last two cuts...the epic climax to Lex Rex "When We Were Young", and the stunning finale from Perelandra "Heaven" showcasing the bands trademark multiple layered vocals and dramatic composition. Lex Rex is a concept piece centered around a Roman Centurion's quest for glory, and the climactic events that bring him to stand at the foot of the cross and meet the King of Glory Himself. Powerful and soaring vocal harmonies, scintillating keyboards, deep booming bass and potent prog-rock drumming join together to create an unbelievable sonic experience on Lex Live.

The bonuses provided are nice-mostly camcorder recordings of "fly on the
wall" events. A Nearfest hotel room acoustic performance is provides a warm look at the band as well as some fan footage from the Nearfest show (accompanied by a sneak peek of the upcoming Live at Nearfest CD). Viewers will especially enjoy the "Behind the Scenes" gear tour. You won't believe the amount of equipment (especially Fred's keyboards) the band has on stage to reproduce their classic sound!

I recommend Glass Hammer: Lex Live highly. Existing fans will enjoy the
presentation immensely and new fans will scramble to hear more from the band after watching the DVD.

DJ Barry hosts Soul Frequency (<http://www.soulfrequency.com>), a weekly FM and Internet radio show showcasing progressive rock, instrumental rock, Christian rock, power-pop, Psychedelic rock, rock classics and more-great rock for the ages!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

soulfreq
Amateur
Amateur

Tollbooth Review!

Post by soulfreq » Fri May 21, 2004 10:04 am

Hey Hammerheads...my "official" review has been posted at the Phantom Tollbooth here:

http://www.tollbooth.org/2004/reviews/ghammer.html

Enjoy! And long live Glass Hammer!
DJBarry
:cheers:
DJ - Show Host - Not Afraid of Keyboards

Check out the Zine - http://www.soulfrequency.com

rickyp

lex live

Post by rickyp » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:30 pm

thought i,d say hi,as this is my first posting but i have just finished watching the lex live dvd .
i think the sound quality is pretty good.
the drum kit sounds really full and steves bass cuts through.
i use the Pioneer NS DVD1000 sound system -it plays dvdv,dvda,and sacd.so you cover the lot in one machine.
the only comment i would make is that the girls seem to get lost in the mix.
what would this sound like in full 5.1 DTS or does that have massive cost implications ?
love the hotel practice session - was that a man in the mirror or some escapee from spocks beard ?
in the absense of a full u.k. tour the dvd is the next best thing but we can but hope and pray - sometime in the near future ?
:wink:

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: lex live

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:12 pm

rickyp wrote:thought i,d say hi,as this is my first posting but i have just finished watching the lex live dvd .
i think the sound quality is pretty good.
the drum kit sounds really full and steves bass cuts through.
i use the Pioneer NS DVD1000 sound system -it plays dvdv,dvda,and sacd.so you cover the lot in one machine.
the only comment i would make is that the girls seem to get lost in the mix.
what would this sound like in full 5.1 DTS or does that have massive cost implications ?
love the hotel practice session - was that a man in the mirror or some escapee from spocks beard ?
in the absense of a full u.k. tour the dvd is the next best thing but we can but hope and pray - sometime in the near future ?
:wink:
We'd love to come to the U.K. It is possible, and we'll just have to see. As for the 5.1, we just couldn't do it this time. :(
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart