DVD Highlights

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

DVD Highlights

Post by SuperTed » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:41 pm

At last, something that has drawn me out of the lurking shadows after many a month! The DVD is a first class piece of work and quite possibly the most-watched DVD I have in my collection (even more than the mighty Steve Hackett) which is saying something since I've only had it for 10 days! I thought I'd share a few highlights/observations with you fine folks (to save the typing, please place this chap :D after most of these);

Did the most excellent ladies of the chorus actually win that "Open Mic" slot?

Was Susie looking over her left shoulder all night to make sure the bar hadn't closed before the end of the set?

Doesn't Matt do a fine line in gurning during his great solo (for those who don't know gurning here's what I mean http://www.cumbria.uk.com/cumbria/fun/gurner.htm

Does Walter look a little like Terry Gilliam?

In all seriousness, a superlative effort all round. The closing track "Heaven" is from an album I have yet to get (I'll soon change that!) and I find myself rewinding to listen to Walter's unbelievable voice. Does anyone know if he has any other work out there that I can get hold of?

The "multi-vox" (is that right?) is spot-on over the whole show and, for a symphonic progger like myself, is just the icing on the rich musical cake.

Just a couple of minor issues though...

In true prog fashion, this should have been a triple DVD release :D

Is it just me that gets irrationally annoyed that bands as fantastic as GH play in venues so small? I know that its no-ones "fault" as such and I'm sure that everyone there that night had a ball (and I wish I could've been one of them!) but I have such a desire to see these kinds of musicians get the recognition I feel they deserve that it irks me to see them not playing in front of millions. Mind you, we don't want the guys to do the "Rock Star" thing either... :)

Apologies for the rambling but I'm new to this forum lark so hopefully all you veterans can forgive this poor acolyte.

Cheers,

Eddie
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:53 pm

Lol! :lol:
(And I didn't even know "gurning" existed...)

I wholeheartedly agree with the "playing in front of millions" thing. And I fully support any kind of touring action :HINT, steve, HINT HINT!: as well. ;) Especially anywhere in MINNESOTA!

So, welcome to the forum, SuperTed. :cheers: Don't worry about whether you're meeting "forum posting etiquette" or anything. As far as I know the only rules here are A) don't be excessively vulgar B) No post slutting because it's really annoying as a moderator to delete each message one by one C) Never repeat or skip around in Word Association.
And that's it. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: DVD Highlights

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:01 am

SuperTed wrote:
Did the most excellent ladies of the chorus actually win that "Open Mic" slot?

Was Susie looking over her left shoulder all night to make sure the bar hadn't closed before the end of the set?

Doesn't Matt do a fine line in gurning during his great solo (for those who don't know gurning here's what I mean http://www.cumbria.uk.com/cumbria/fun/gurner.htm

Does Walter look a little like Terry Gilliam?

Eddie

Hey Eddie,
Thanks so much for the kind comments on our DVD. Lets see if I can answer your questions. I don't think anyone noticed the 'open mic night' banner until the video was done. But the GH ladies would win a slot for sure. Susie looks over her shoulder just to make certain that I'm not screwing up! Actually, she does a good job of watching Walter and me if she happens to be doubling our vocal lines. I went to the gurning website, and yes - it appears Matt is gurning quite nicely. And last, now that you mention it - Walter does resemble T. Gilliam!
We had a blast making this DVD. We are planning or at least talking over the idea of playing again next spring.
And here's another announcement - the NEARfest live CD release date is going to be ....
Well - you better just keep your eye on the main GH page. There'll be a major update in a day or so.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: DVD Highlights

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:27 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:And here's another announcement - the NEARfest live CD release date is going to be ....
Well - you better just keep your eye on the main GH page. There'll be a major update in a day or so.
Steve

DUUUUUDE! that was SOO not cool!

:whine:: :x
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:19 pm

Hey Brian, I'm with you on that one! No-one likes a teasing civic official...and when does he come up for re-election anyway :lol:

Thanks for the welcome Sam and Your Worship. Hopefully I can contribute some more meandering and ramblings as time goes on.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:09 pm

Sorry Sam but I meant to ask...

B) No post slutting because it's really annoying as a moderator to delete each message one by one

Any chance you could elaborate for me? (See, I told you I was new) :lol:

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:38 pm

SuperTed wrote:Hey Brian, I'm with you on that one! No-one likes a teasing civic official...and when does he come up for re-election anyway :lol:

Thanks for the welcome Sam and Your Worship. Hopefully I can contribute some more meandering and ramblings as time goes on.

Ahem :) Please feel free to meander and ramble as often as you like.
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:53 pm

Basically that means no posting numerous messages instead of just one for little or no good reason, like...

Or something like that. Feel free to ramble without purpose - most of us pretty much do anyway, but just as long as you don't post an excessive amount of messages in a row like that (to get your post count up, or just to be weird or whatever) when you could just say it in one message, or two or something. ;) Nothing too tricky.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:54 pm

Thanks Sam. I'll make sure my post count goes up only as the Good Moderator intended (besides I don't want to sully any further my already dubious rep!!) :)

...and Steve, don't worry about the re-election thing as I'd vote for you anyway. The world needs more benign dictatorships :wink:

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:55 pm

oops! obviously that's yours truly above (I must just be a naturally loose poster...)

King
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by King » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:26 am

I finally had a chance to watch Lex Live today. (due to difficulty getting control of the TV and some peace and quiet to enjoy it in it's entirety :D )
And I would just like to make a few comments.

First of all IT ROCKED!! We say that alot about stuff around here dont we ? :eyebrow: haha, but that's because it's true :twisted:
You guys looked so pumped up and everyone was totally in tune with one another.

What was the very opening song before the Lex Rex started? I really liked it whatever it was.

The girls seemed maybe a bit timid at first but did a really good job. That Susie is right on!!! All the vocals were quite awesome guys!

I enjoyed Matt's drum-work too. I never thought much of drums before but in the past few years I have begun to appreciate good drum-work. Good dynamics Matt!!

I loved "watching" this performance because, first of all, you get pulled in by the enthusiasm of the band which you can see on stage. Secondly, when I can see the parts being played/sung and match that with what I hear then I tend to pick out parts of the instrumentation especially that I hadnt noticed before.

Cool shirt, Steve... ...Fred, I miss your long hair... ...and last but not least, Jon Michael is WAY too cute working those pedals :D :wink: Future bass player indeed!

Bravo on the behind the scenes footage too and the NF rehearsal. All very enjoyable :)
[img]http://members.aol.com/liquidmetalmusic/king2.jpg[/img] *Faith* is the realization of what is hoped for, and evidence of things not seen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:32 pm

right on!!! i liked seeing steve's cheat sheets on his keyboards, lol...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:09 am

And most of the hilarity isn't even on the DVD :P

April
www.theprogpalace.com

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:59 pm

now i feel left out, lol
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:01 pm

I think what April is trying to say is, if you ever get to spend any time with us - you'll find we're a bunch of geeks and idiots. :oops: Of course we include her in that as well.
Steve