Stunning live sound from GH's performance at NEARFest 2003

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

First Impressions

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:17 pm

HOLY COW!

What a nice suprise waiting in my mailbox for me when I got home from work today!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
:cuckoo:

Guys- I am SOOO impressed by the quality of your post production and mixing, though not suprised the least bit by its incredible sound!

Thanks SO much for allowing us to be a part of this!

By the way, I submitted the CD information to the CDDB board so it auto loads in your PC with the track info.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:34 pm

Vocal mix sounded AWeSOME on Chronos Deliverer and Heaven - but still a little quiet on WWWY (not as bad as before though). The quick pace also might contribute to what my ears don't find entirely satisfying. It's still great, though. Just not perfect, like the other two songs. ;)

...Hey, how come I didn't get my copy yet? :(
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:10 pm

i wish i had the money to buy a copy...atleast you have bought 1 alrdy...
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:25 pm

Man, after listening to it a few times through they really really kick butt with the Kansas cover, and yeah Sam, WWWY could use some more choir heh heh....

Wonderful feel for the whole 'end' of Further Up, Further In. ::Holds up lighter::

Hm, I think the Taurus pedals kicked ass! Im listening to this album on a Klipsch 4.1 surround sound system with about 35% surround effect on , gives the choir just enough juice!

I literally came to tears for 'Heaven' .... here we are... a year later.... and I can still feel all the emotion rushing back =)
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:55 am

Bnielsen wrote:
I literally came to tears for 'Heaven' .... here we are... a year later.... and I can still feel all the emotion rushing back =)

Everyone is telling me about the chillbumps and tears on Heaven. I LOVE IT! I hoped for that exact response :) It still does it to me too :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:11 pm

Brought my CD into work with me today ;-p they never belived me that I actually had performed on a album that was going to get released. heh! You can even <barely> see me on the back cover ;-)
Brian Nielsen

dragonflame713

Post by dragonflame713 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:16 pm

The attention to detail in the mix on this is amazing. Each and every instrument sounds terrific, and the vocals as well. Everything is so well balanced! Fred's Hammond rips, Walter's guitar has a very nice bite to it, Matt's drums are clean, but with alot of punch. Steve's bass had a really nice rumbling sound sound in it too, kind of reminds me of the sound Geddy Lee gets (was thinking of this while listening to "One King").

...and of course the choir! The vocals all have so much presence :)

One of the best live recordings I have ever heard!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:41 pm

I just realized how manly 'us' manly men sounded in the beginning of the vocals on Chronos Deliverer. ::does Tim Allen grunt:: ::beats chest:: men, men, men... lol wow what a sound =)
Brian Nielsen

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:34 pm

o yea, orderin it today...and Chronometree and Perelandra...I SHALL RULE DA WORLD!!! err, ahem, anyway.....
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

YESABWH

Glass Hammer does it again

Post by YESABWH » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:53 pm

The best American progressive rock band indeed! Thanks guys for capturing the magic of that NEARfest performance so well on CD. I had the pleasure to speak to GH that weekend and no band deserves success more than they do. Keep up the great work and thanks for the mention on the album!

Don Cassidy
President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
www.deliciousagony.com

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Glass Hammer does it again

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:04 am

YESABWH wrote:The best American progressive rock band indeed! Thanks guys for capturing the magic of that NEARfest performance so well on CD. I had the pleasure to speak to GH that weekend and no band deserves success more than they do. Keep up the great work and thanks for the mention on the album!

Don Cassidy
President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
www.deliciousagony.com

Thanks for dropping by, and thank you so much for the kind words! It was great meeting you, and you've been a big help to us.
Thanks again,
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:15 am

Yeah, I'm still pretty awestruck by the whole thing. My favorite part hands down is the 2-measure spot in Heaven where the choir is unaccompanied. Makes me tear up every time.

April
www.theprogpalace.com

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:44 pm

Best tears moment: End of When We Were Young
Best gooseflesh moment: Heaven, especially with the RAW emotion you heard us singing the "Radiant Angel" sections.
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:41 pm

Quite honestly, I hate live albums. I mean, live and Revived, for instance - aside from the Simpsons's tribute at the end of "Song of the Dunadan", and the random funny comments between songs, the only thing I consider worth it on the album is the other songs after the live stuff. I like things that I'm used to, and live versions are slightly different, and therefore bad. The logic works something like that. (Also, when a studio album requires a lot of takes for each instrument, and a live album is just one shot for all of them at once, why pay extra money for lower quality recording?)
But, Live at Nearfest didn't fit so nicely into that category of "Live Album". I mean, Tales did not come close to the majesty and ultimate power it had in the studio version because there were not enough instruments playing. There were not enough people to play enough instruments to make that full sound. So Tales bothers me. But One King? i feel like I'm really being sacreligeous, because it's a LIVE song, but it's better than the studio recording! The vocals have a new, bright and snappy quality in the mix, and edge the CD didn't have. (And the instruments are really great too, and I'd like to say something intelligent about them, but i don't know much about them.) I don't remember much about Further Up and Further In except that I wished Steve had sung the "priestess" lines instead of Susie, and that the added voice at the very end (Flo? Am I remembering right?) was really beautiful. (I think I liked it overall though..??) I'm pretty suree Cup of Trembling was as good if not better.. Well, I had decided earlier, but now I've forgotten. Oh well. Matt rocks in his drum solo. I listen and reflect how I could never do that in a million years. Portrait I have had in my head all day with Walter's incredible voice - it is soooo cool!! Definitely a favorite track.

And then the CHOIR! Chronos Deliverer is a beautiful song, but it occasionally got old because there weren't enough vocals to my tastes (I am all about vocals if you still haven't noticed) and I felt like it didn't really go anywhere. Well, the choir gives it that extra kick it needs - I was very, very impressed. We sound awesome, man! Perfect in the mix. And Steve, you mentioned something about messing up on this song or something... I've listened to the CD at least 5 times and I still haven't heard it...
When We Were Young - after several listens, I have concluded that I'm still dissapointed in the mix. I don't really care what the instruments are doing at the end - I just want to hear us sing!!! The lyrics rock! I want them to blast! They didn't quite do that. But it's definately better than the CD, I'll grant you that.
Heaven - ahh, beautiful! it's not going to be replacing the full lengthed version in my mind because, well, it's not full lengthed. In this song, though, the choir is perfect in the mix, and... well, I don't really have much to say because words fall short of the rapture and light and glory this song captures. Whenever I listen to that song, my heart begins "breaking for joy unknown". It's beautiful, purely and simply. The choir enhances its power - this is the blast i craved in WWWY.

So in the end, I have come to find that this CD rocks!! Being a creature of habit (i just spelled that with two b's! ah!), I probably won't play it nearly as much as the original version of lex rex, but I think that quite a few of these songs will begin to circulate on my "frequently played" list. So remembering my first statement and who this review is coming from, if you ususally like Live Albums, you will love this.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:20 am

2 'b's' Sam? lol what were you trying to spell, Babb? or perhaps Hobbit?
either way, I can see how you might want to stick an extra b in there- great reveiw sam
Brian Nielsen