Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

A Review from miles away!!!

Post by rox » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:17 am

Well, after 4 or 5 times listening, in 2 days! :D
It's a looong feedback, hope I don't say too much stupid stuff :-P

Sound: unbelievably better than studio. Someone please explain how it is possible. I can hear all instrument in every single part of the disc, the drums and bass are powerful, the keyboards will be underrated, no matter how well I speak of them. The essence of the guitar timbre is pretty good too, but I think there's a little too much delay.

Vocals: it's Glass Hammer. Anything else? :mrgreen:

1. Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen
Starting out in great style! The Chronometree joke was cool, but I can't understand the words in the "instruments are all tuned, except ..." :|
Well, let's get to work! :twisted:

2. Chronotheme
Perfect song to begin with! The rythmic riff is hell strong, and the solos are almost perfectly fit. Fred's keys' timbres are killer!

3. Tales of the Great Wars
First thing one can notice is that Steve(or is it Walter?) doesn't let Fred begin the songs! :mrgreen:
'Bout the music: the initial counterpoint is pretty cool, and comes across that great theme! But all the instrumental seems secondary when the vocals come in; the singers are as perfect as the vocal melody! And after the organ break and guitar solo, a wonderful vocal solo! The third intervals of the vocals are quite Fleetwood-Macish... This song is great!

4. One King
This song is one of my favorites. Since it is one of the few I did already know, I can compare to the original.
Right in the beggining, it feels even better that the original, for Steve's bass really sounds out! And the vocals, just as good as always, though a little bit too fast, I think. Again, I must congratulate Fred for mantaining the best synth sounds ever! In the guitar solo, Matt Mendians shows why it is good to have a real drummer: his hi-hat variation are great! As the drum freak I am, I could not let his modifications pass blank! Hope he gets to be a full-time GH member!

5. Further Up, Further In
I get an initial heart atack with the intro and then comes the first 7/8 riff, it's a personal weakness... The propheticness of the lydian(at least it seems to me) line builds into a quite happy one and the GH trademark beautiful vocals. The piano break is also a spotlight, but again the vocals are the main attraction, with good help of Eric Parker's acoustic guitar support. I see some similarity with So Close, So Far in a piano verse, maybe a subsconscious act. Speaking of piano, the jazzy solo is incredible, followed by an equal counterpart by Walter Moore. In the end, Genesis influences come further up(or further in), mainly by the bass 1/8 division. Whaddahell, can I write anything bad about this?

6. Cowboys and Mendians
I read somewhere that there was a power cable problem, could anyone speak about this?
To the solo: Matt does an interesting blend of jazz fills with progmetal double bass. In some parts, it seems like he uses three hands, one for the toms and two for the snare! Pretty cool, one of the few drums solos I can stop to listen. Matt is a great addition to the band!

7. A Cup of Trembling
I'm still trying to figure out what this name means! Once again, starting quite prophetic(dark and strong), comes to a melodic line that is beautiful, and though, dark. <Wannabe-composer question: is that a strange scale or constant modulation?> The bass-octave/bassdrum-snaredrum thing is sooo cool! And the female vocals, again, perfect!
There is one thing about the lyrics that I don't understand: would a roman soldier, with strong polytheistic basis, speak to God as one God, before being converted? :o

8. Portrait(He Knew)
I'm not YET a Kansas fan, I know very little of them. But this song has almost compared to Magnum Opus as my Kansas favorite. Now, is that Walter singing? SOOO HIGH PITCH! A quite catchy chorus, with cool keyboards. But the song grows up 100 times when it gets just before the solo! Great!

9. Chronos Deliverer
Once again, Fred wants to play, but Steve/Walter wants to speak to the crowd!
I had heard this song before, and it's reminds me a lot of the JotD songs I heard. Until it gets to the choir, which is INCREDIBLE!!! Great composers with great singers, that's the result. I just don't know why 99% of choir lyrics are "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" :D
The vocals in this song are some of the most beautiful ever.

10. When We Were Young
I like the original better, in the intro seems like there something missing, because of the bright and explosive timbre of the keys, instead of the climatic original. About the song, it is one of the best GH songs I know, the themes are so much emotive, and the vocals really stand out. Acoustic guitar also sounds very well. The "came the last night and the watch was his" part is one of the coolest vocal line of all history, but it seems too fast live. It builds into very very very great instrumental works, specially the synth(that is a synth, right ? :-P) solo.
The "so he found that the spear would fly true" is the main problem about the live version. Not that is bad, but I really miss the keyboard line in this part... One of the best features of the song, in my opinion!
Then it comes to the choir again! It's great, a little low though :(
All hail Glass Hammer and the choir! Another point down is the cut of the final keys.
But, though all these points down, it is still a GREAT song!

11. Heaven
This song needs only one line: Amazing wonderful beautiful incredible vocal arrangement.

CONCLUSION
This discs means my bankrupcy. Now I feel in need of buying the whole GH discography AND the DVD.
Great work, guys!!!
Get ya this year, FUVEST!!!!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:51 am

"Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about.... Jerusalem twill be] a burdensome stone for all people...." Zechariah 12:2,3,6

Glad you like it !
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:32 am

Oh :D
Cool! Gotta listen to the song again now :mrgreen:

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:45 pm

Glad you liked it ROx, ty for the thorough review!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:57 pm

Just so you'll rest assured- yes, Matt is playing on the new album. We've already recorded him on two songs!

In fact, EVERYONE on the live album will be on the new album in progress.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:38 am

WWWOOOOOHHHHOOO

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:28 am

FredProgGH wrote:In fact, EVERYONE on the live album will be on the new album in progress.
Fred... when you say "everyone" do you mean....? :shock:
Brian Nielsen

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:55 am

HUAHAUHA

That'd be cool, Brian :twisted:

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:19 pm

That was me! :P

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:13 am

So Rox, now that you have listened to it longer, anything new stand out? :D
Brian Nielsen

rox
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by rox » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:28 pm

As Super Ted said, it just gets better!

I just keep singing 'Tales of the Great Wars', 'Further Up and Further In' and 'A Cup of Trembling' all day long! I wish I could sing all the parts! :x

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:42 pm

Chronotheme and Tales of the Great Wars were my personal faves on that album. Fred, I don't think I've ever heard that much power from a B3 before (not that its not a powerful insturment by nature). Vocal harmonies, guitar lines, MiniMOOG runs...just out and out mind-blowing.