Chronome-Trees? :P

Tom's story

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Chronome-Trees? :P

Post by punx » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:52 pm

Ok, ok, maybe 3 or 4 people are going to get the reference.

I once used to walk into a friend's place and slip JOTD into his stereo at a party, and inevitably someone would come up and ask what was playing, and I would always say it was an unrelased Prog album from the early 70's that was an all-star jam on an attempt to convey the LOTR story. Most would nod their head, raise a glass, and go on about their life. :)

Now, Chronometree on the other hand, is my own self looking at the stereo and hearing this, because THIS sounds like an all-star jam from Prog-rock's heyday, especially if you caught my Subject line reference :D .

As I discuss in another post in another mileiu on this dscussion board, you can draw a straight line through GH's work if you're only going to connect them by the fact that GH is a progressive rock band. If you're going to try and find a through line in the way each album has been created and the music within, there is no way you can connect them as the ouvre of a single group. As a purely Prog album, I would have to say that Chronometree is my favorite GH album. It, however, is not my overall favorite GH album, because, simply put, I LIKE THEM ALL.

Well, if anyone else would like to expand on my thoughts, and possibly share their experience of Chronometree under a certain influence :), I welcome response.

Fredrick Beondo
punx@weirdness.com

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:09 am

Chronometree was my second Glass Hammer CD. (The first one was JOTD). When I first heard the MP3 from the website (Empty Space / Revealer) I thought: this is what I was looking for! It sounds a little bit like Tarcus (ELP) but less "chaotic". I had to get used to the vocals but truly I think It fits perfectly on this album. I can't imagine another vocal on this kind of music. Nice job Brad! There's one song I don't like though and I'll probably disappoint a lot of people: "A Perfect Carousel". I think it doesn't fit there as a prog song.
Any way, I like this album a lot. What's the title of track 10 by the way?

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Same here...

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:47 am

Yeah, Perfect Carousel was always one of my very few least favorites. I don't know. It just bothered me. I didn't think it fit either. Track 10, acording to my CD, is Watching the Sky. (Go recorders! I love that track!)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Fingolfin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fingolfin » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:59 pm

Yeah, I like Empty Space/Revealer, too. My favorite song on that album, though, is Revelation/Chronometry. That bass part... Isn't Steve just insanely good??!?!?!? I wish I could do that... :-p Nope. My dad once told me that if I wanted to learn the bass, I should start trying to pick up the bass parts in Glass Hammer songs. :lol: Yeah right! Steve is just waaaaaaaayyyyy too talented for a little beginner to follow! :)
Fingolfin beheld the ruin of the Noldor. Filled with wrath and despair he rode forth alone. A madness of rage was upon him; his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.
He came alone to Angband and challenged Morgoth to single combat.

And Morgoth came.

Theremin
Professional
Professional

Post by Theremin » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:40 pm

I was playing my Chronometree CD in the band room before school today... I got a lot of comments along the line of "what the hell is this?". I told them I couldn't believe they hadn't heard of Glass Hammer; they are awesome! It was also pretty cool at our math team meet earlier this week. We were playing pictionary during our down time and I would always do bands nobody had heard of. That way, its harder (for me). It is very hard to convey to someone that a certain shape is a pane of glass. But GH was one of the easier ones. I got them to recognize The Tangent easy enough (Math team, duh), same with Kansas. Even Genesis was pretty easy (I drew a bible and higlighted a chunk at the very beginning). It was really hard to get them to say "Hatfield and the North" though. It took like five minutes. most of that was spent trying to get them to say field. Wow, I just rambled a lot. More wasted bandwith... :lol:
I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze?

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:42 pm

I downloaded "Empty Space & Revealer" and I love it. I'm definitely going to get Chronometree-- even though I barely know what the song is talking about. Is this guy Tom discovering music or something? :eyebrow:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:52 pm

http://www.glasshammer.com/chronometree.html

So it's kind of cheating by taking you around the frames. Oh well. Shoot me. ;) But this page explains it all. (read "The Story")
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]