Chronomotree vocals...

Tom's story

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

CanarioAB
Professional
Professional

Post by CanarioAB » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:42 pm

I hope you dig up that link, I would LOVE to see this one. Everybody around here is still whining ... (after all, I AM in DC, floating adrift amongst a sea of Gore supporters ... )

April
http://theprogpalace.com
Prog Palace Internet Radio

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:04 am

CanarioAB wrote:I hope you dig up that link, I would LOVE to see this one. Everybody around here is still whining ... (after all, I AM in DC, floating adrift amongst a sea of Gore supporters ... )

April
http://theprogpalace.com
Prog Palace Internet Radio
Its not quite so bad here in NJ, but I still see many reminders that I'm living in a blue state. But I'm excited because pretty soon we will have Corzine as our next Govenor! :roll:
And now for something completly different...

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat May 13, 2006 1:32 pm

I first heard this CD about a year or so ago, listened about 3 or 4 times, and never could get into it. A big part was the vocals for sure-but that wasn't all of it. For some reason I put it in the player 3 or 4 days ago, when I was listening to nothing but GH(after the arrival of the Belmont DVD), and I can't get enough of it!!!! I love it!!!!Even some of the vocals are really growing on me-and Fred's keyboard sound is ICENDIARY!!(To coin a phrase from my fav movie"Almost Famous"). Is there word or phrase that describes a phenomena where you don't like a piece of art,music,movie,etc.-come back a while later with a different perspective and absolutely love it? If there isn't we need to come up with one. P.S. any chance of resurrecting Chronos deliverer(w/choir), of chronomotheme for the Tivoli show????
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat May 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Not unless I get to sing it again =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Sat May 13, 2006 1:54 pm

I loved his vocals. And my favorite part of all of the vocals on the album is when he hit the high notes on A Perfect Carousel. I get chills when I hear: "So, lay down, BREATHEEE.... (etc.)" :D

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sun May 14, 2006 10:30 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Is there word or phrase that describes a phenomena where you don't like a piece of art,music,movie,etc.-come back a while later with a different perspective and absolutely love it?
Sure. It's called "growing up." :P :lol:
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:53 pm

Sure. It's called "growing up." :P :lol:[/quote]

hehe lol
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

otteaux

Post by otteaux » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Shadoshi wrote:I loved his vocals. And my favorite part of all of the vocals on the album is when he hit the high notes on A Perfect Carousel. I get chills when I hear: "So, lay down, BREATHEEE.... (etc.)" :D
Totally agree with this. I just recently got into "Chronometree" (tried it a year ago, and it didn't stick for some reason at that time). "A Perfect Carousel" is - to me - the highlight of this incredible CD... I just spent a week at a North Carolina beach, and there was one point where I was sitting in the sun just playing this one song over and over and over! ;)

Regarding the vocals on the CD, I loved them and wish that particular singer could've stayed on for another CD or two. He was very unique, but like the band itself.

That said, after listening to TIS, I'd be fine if the female singer (Susie???) wound up singing on every future GH CD. That's not taking away from the guy who sings on that CD, but her voice is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard on a CD - she could give the angels singing lessons! The only other female vocalist I can recall sounding so "goose-bump inducing" is Harriett Wheeler of The Sundays.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 pm

otteaux wrote:
Shadoshi wrote:I loved his vocals. And my favorite part of all of the vocals on the album is when he hit the high notes on A Perfect Carousel. I get chills when I hear: "So, lay down, BREATHEEE.... (etc.)" :D
Totally agree with this. I just recently got into "Chronometree" (tried it a year ago, and it didn't stick for some reason at that time). "A Perfect Carousel" is - to me - the highlight of this incredible CD... I just spent a week at a North Carolina beach, and there was one point where I was sitting in the sun just playing this one song over and over and over! ;)

Regarding the vocals on the CD, I loved them and wish that particular singer could've stayed on for another CD or two. He was very unique, but like the band itself.

That said, after listening to TIS, I'd be fine if the female singer (Susie???) wound up singing on every future GH CD. That's not taking away from the guy who sings on that CD, but her voice is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard on a CD - she could give the angels singing lessons! The only other female vocalist I can recall sounding so "goose-bump inducing" is Harriett Wheeler of The Sundays.
We loved Brad Marler and did an album for his group "Haven" years ago. He sang on our David and Goliath project, and we grabbed him for Chronometree. Fred and I have never questioned our decision to use him, but the reaction in the prog-world at large was not good. The folks who loved him never really spoke up much till years had gone by, and those who hated him were very vocal. We were advised by distributors to change vocalists or forget about doing another album.
Susie sings on the new album, but not as much as normal due to maternity.
Glad you like Brad though. He's a chemist now, and a father of at least two.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 pm

This is an incredible album with or without the vocals, anthey've grown on me esp. with listening to it again after about another year. Maybe Fred's best overall performance on one disc, the guitars are great too, Steve's Bass playing sounds more like Squire's than ever(thats a compliment). I wish they'd go back and play some of this live again,at least the theme or Chronos Deliverer.

otteaux

Post by otteaux » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm actually in a little band and have written an entire CD, and as with many bands we've got everything but a singer... I swear one day I'm going to track that Brad fellow down and beg him to sing on it! :)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm

Hehe- he won't do it. We've tried to get him to come back and do some more for us. Last I heard he's a chemist with a pretty well known manufacturer in these parts.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

SpriteBat

Re: Chronomotree vocals...

Post by SpriteBat » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:19 pm

I finally got this album (my 11th from GH) and have almost finished listening to it. Considering everything I had read about the vocals, I have to say that they are much better than I was expecting. Sure, they are unconventional, but not bad. I can understand complaints about Brad's intonation (or enunciation, not sure what to call it) but overall, I think there is a very pleasant quality to the tone, at least when he holds notes steadily.

I agree that he sounds a bit like Matt Bellamy from Muse, (though not as good...no offense, Matt is just insanely gifted) so maybe that's why I wasn't immediately turned off by the vocals as others might have been.

I also agree with the point that Chronometree is an unconventional album, so it needed an unconventional singer.

Edit: After reading something about this on facebook, I have to ask...how'd things go with the Marler reunion?