Arjen Anthony Lucassen

Tom's story

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Arjen Anthony Lucassen

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:04 pm

I would never had discovered Glass Hammer if the name of Arjen Lucassen was not there. I was just surfing on the web, searching for music that sounds like Ayreon. Of course Lucassen is a Dutch guy so I knew his work (that I like!). I typed "Arjen Lucassen" and I get a link to Distrebee.com (Dutch online shop for progressive music) and there I found Chronometree with a link to the Glass Hammer website. The rest is a long love story! I fell in love with every thing I heard, every thing I read and every thing I saw. I downloaded all the MP3 (I made a CD of them that was continuously in my player!). Empty space - Revealer was then one of my favorite tracks. I couldn't wait to have the whole album.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:13 pm

This is what is so great about prog, all kinds of different musicians working together, almost like in the jazz world. It causes fans to check out music they might not normally give a chance. By the way, Lucassen plays on an album by the Rocket Scientists, who at times remind me of GH. He also guests on the new Ars Nova, a disc you may want to check out.
And now for something completly different...

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:50 am

I have a copy of the latest Arsnova CD. It is an overblown post apocalyptic science fiction melodrama. Which is sort of cool. It also feature Gianni Leone from "Il Balleto di Bronzo", whose vocals annoy me on this album, Lucio Fabri from PFM (one of my favourite Italian bands) as well as a bunch of others. I put it on when I am in the mood to hear something extremely silly.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Sure, the concept is silly, but the music isn't. Some really great music and playing on here. I'm a big fan of the composing style of Keiko Kumagi. She uses the kitchen sink mentality, meaning she throws in everything but. Minimalism be damned!!! I skip over the narrated intro every time and go righht into the music. As for lyrics, I usually ignore them on most music, so its no problem with Biogenesis.

yyzmoose
Professional
Professional

Post by yyzmoose » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:58 pm

Anonymous wrote:Sure, the concept is silly, but the music isn't. Some really great music and playing on here. I'm a big fan of the composing style of Keiko Kumagi. She uses the kitchen sink mentality, meaning she throws in everything but. Minimalism be damned!!! I skip over the narrated intro every time and go righht into the music. As for lyrics, I usually ignore them on most music, so its no problem with Biogenesis.
I was the "guest", I just forgot to login!
And now for something completly different...

KindStranger187

A.A. Lucassen

Post by KindStranger187 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:40 pm

Well, its my first day here on the GH forum and I've already had an eye-opening experience! Chronomotree was my first GH disc, and I got it before getting into Ayreon, so somehow I've never noticed that Arjen contributed to Chronomotree until reading through some threads here on this forum. How did I miss this bit of information for 5 years?! I'm usually pretty meticulous about reading liner notes and album credits, but this one slipped past me! :oops:
Kind Stranger

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:36 am

Shame! Must've had something to do with Aliens.
:alien:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:39 pm

Did it "slip by you", or was it locked in your brain, dormant, ready to be unleashed by OUR HIDDEN SIGNAL!!! If I were you I'd wear a foil hat. :D

*cue scary Theremin music*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:41 pm

speaking of which... where IS theremin? =/
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm

Yeah... He was the first non-Sam regular poster the forum ever had.... I wonder if he'll come back for the INconsolable BUzz?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:22 pm

OOOOeeeoooooEEEEwWWWOooooEEEooooWWW

That's Thereminese for "Get your ass back here ASAP!"
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:56 pm

At last weekend's RogueFest, the drummer for the band The Red Masque actually had a theremin along for the ride--he'd play his drumkit with his left hand and the theremin with his right. Same way with the Korg synth set up on his right, just below the theremin. Versatile.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

SpriteBat

Re: Arjen Anthony Lucassen

Post by SpriteBat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm

I've been wondering, has there been any correspondence between GH and Lucassen ever since Chronometree? I doubt it, but with both of them still very active in their work, I'd like to hope that maybe there is the possibility of another guest appearance some time in the next few years, whether it be Lucassen in a GH project, or Steve and Fred doing something on a future project by Arjen.

I just love them all so much! :)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:09 pm

SpriteBat wrote:I've been wondering, has there been any correspondence between GH and Lucassen ever since Chronometree? I doubt it, but with both of them still very active in their work, I'd like to hope that maybe there is the possibility of another guest appearance some time in the next few years, whether it be Lucassen in a GH project, or Steve and Fred doing something on a future project by Arjen.

I just love them all so much! :)

He has messaged me in Facebook a time or two. We're all still friendly. Hope we can work with him again one day - when the project is right.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

SpriteBat

Post by SpriteBat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Maybe if you ever play a show in Europe, he can join you on stage. I would certainly fly over to see that!