Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

User avatar
shanocles
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, South Australia

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by shanocles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:13 pm

new GH music is good ... old GH music is good ... all GH music is good!!

when it comes it will be awesome and you will be crowned the kings of prog-land :lol:
If left is wrong I don't wanna be right...

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah, I agree. I really like Three Cheers, but it's on a different level and doesn't count. Lex Rex is still my favorite, and Culture of Ascent is amazing, but pre-Chronometree just has something that is solid gold.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Japes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Yeah, I agree. I really like Three Cheers, but it's on a different level and doesn't count. Lex Rex is still my favorite, and Culture of Ascent is amazing, but pre-Chronometree just has something that is solid gold.
I seem to remember you making a similar comment to me earlier. I think I posted that I had just purchased the pack of their earlier work and you said it was a nice change to see someone with Pre-Chronometree interest =)
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:56 pm

You have a scary memory. ;) Well, not that post-Chronometree stuff is bad - notice how many qualifications I had to add, and if you push me, I'll add a bunch more. It's just, there's also something really cool about the others too. I don't know. I've never been able to REALLY decide on a favorite album because they all rock.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Japes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:You have a scary memory. ;) Well, not that post-Chronometree stuff is bad - notice how many qualifications I had to add, and if you push me, I'll add a bunch more. It's just, there's also something really cool about the others too. I don't know. I've never been able to REALLY decide on a favorite album because they all rock.
I can't say I've never had a favorite GH album, or I'd be lying. However, I've definitely never held the same favorite album for more than a month. Every couple weeks I go through a music phase where I listen to one particular artist, album, or genre. With GH, that phase usually encompasses a single album, which, consequently, is my favorite at the time. Although this is post-Chronometree, I would definitely say Shadowlands is up there in my favorite, and is definitely one of the most underrated GH albums (imo).
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

User avatar
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Japes wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:You have a scary memory. ;) Well, not that post-Chronometree stuff is bad - notice how many qualifications I had to add, and if you push me, I'll add a bunch more. It's just, there's also something really cool about the others too. I don't know. I've never been able to REALLY decide on a favorite album because they all rock.
I can't say I've never had a favorite GH album, or I'd be lying. However, I've definitely never held the same favorite album for more than a month. Every couple weeks I go through a music phase where I listen to one particular artist, album, or genre. With GH, that phase usually encompasses a single album, which, consequently, is my favorite at the time. Although this is post-Chronometree, I would definitely say Shadowlands is up there in my favorite, and is definitely one of the most underrated GH albums (imo).
I take Shadowlands as GH's best album, but nor my favorite.

I take Inconsolable Secret as my favorite album, but not the most insane.

I take Chronometree as the most insane album, but not the most classic-feeling one.

I take If as the most classic-feeling album, but not the most underrated of all.

I take Perelandra as the most underrated album, but not the most epic album.

I take Lex Rex as the most epic, but not the most exquisite.

I take Three Cheers as the most exquisite, but not the most fun.

I take Middle-Earth as the most fun, but not the most serious.

I take Culture of Ascent as the most serious, but not the most better melodic sounding.

I'm back at Shadowlands now.

PS: I take me as the most prolix forum user, but not the most active.
PPS: Dunadan is the most Tolkien-ish. And I don't know why, On to Evermore is the most Tim Burton-esque album...I don't know if it is the font typeface of the title in the cover, or the imagery that always comes to my mind when I listen. Don't take me seriously.
Last edited by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

User avatar
Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Japes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:
Japes wrote:
Sam Gamgee wrote:You have a scary memory. ;) Well, not that post-Chronometree stuff is bad - notice how many qualifications I had to add, and if you push me, I'll add a bunch more. It's just, there's also something really cool about the others too. I don't know. I've never been able to REALLY decide on a favorite album because they all rock.
I can't say I've never had a favorite GH album, or I'd be lying. However, I've definitely never held the same favorite album for more than a month. Every couple weeks I go through a music phase where I listen to one particular artist, album, or genre. With GH, that phase usually encompasses a single album, which, consequently, is my favorite at the time. Although this is post-Chronometree, I would definitely say Shadowlands is up there in my favorite, and is definitely one of the most underrated GH albums (imo).
I take Shadowlands as GH's best album, but nor my favorite.

I take Inconsolable Secret as my favorite album, but not the most insane.

I take Chronometree as the most insane album, but not the most classic-feeling one.

I take If as the most classic-feeling album, but not the most underrated of all.

I take Perelandra as the most underrated album, but not the most epic album.

I take Lex Rex as the most epic, but not the most exquisite.

I take Three Cheers as the most exquisite, but not the most fun.

I take Middle-Earth as the most fun, but not the most serious.

Then I'm back at Shadowlands.

PS: I take me as the most prolix forum user, but not the most active.
PPS: Dunadan is the most Tolkien-ish. And I don't know why, On to Evermore is the most Tim Burton-esque album...I don't know if it is the font typeface of the title in the cover, or the imagery that always comes to my mind when I listen. Don't take me seriously.
I lol'd
:D
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

User avatar
TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:04 pm

:wink:

PS: I've made a few adjustments. Not that the albums left behind are the most Cloud of Oblivion ones.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

User avatar
Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:01 pm

well done!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03
Image

Barcelona's knight
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:25 am

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by Barcelona's knight » Sat May 25, 2013 4:56 pm

It has been quite a while since I last wrote here... proposing The Compliations CD which the band agreed on releasing! :lol:
Now, if I were to re-release The Inconsolable Secret, I would add two CDs more with the full audio of the Live At Belmont gig. After all it is from the same time. Sorry, as I am also a Neal Morse fan, I am getting used to 5 disk sets... just kidding. Well, not really...

User avatar
SpriteBat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 am
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by SpriteBat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:45 am

Quick review:

I've listened to the remixes once so far and my initial reaction was almost entirely positive. I was lucky enough to find the original album a couple years ago so I was already familiar with it (in love with it to be more accurate). I must say that the first two remixes with Jon Davison did not surpass the originals in my opinion...at least, not vocally. I love Jon as much as the next guy, but I think he fits better with your newer music. I'll give it a few more chances of course. I just wasn't crazy about his interpretation of the vocals.

The other three tracks are stunning! I think you guys have achieved the impossible by improving the sound of this unbelievable music. You were definitely respectful to the originals, but all the subtle adjustments and changes really paid off. It truly was a brand new and improved listening experience.

That reminds me, I'm also working my way through The Lay of Lirazel audio book. I had read it once before, but I guess I was starting to forget just how compelling it is. I'm not much of a reader in general (especially not poetry) but this poem is a masterpiece. I'm finding the audio book more entertaining than most movies I've seen recently.

Well, that's all for now. I would just like to say thanks for giving the prog world another chance to hear some of your greatest work ever.

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:53 am

SpriteBat wrote:Quick review:

I've listened to the remixes once so far and my initial reaction was almost entirely positive. I was lucky enough to find the original album a couple years ago so I was already familiar with it (in love with it to be more accurate). I must say that the first two remixes with Jon Davison did not surpass the originals in my opinion...at least, not vocally. I love Jon as much as the next guy, but I think he fits better with your newer music. I'll give it a few more chances of course. I just wasn't crazy about his interpretation of the vocals.

The other three tracks are stunning! I think you guys have achieved the impossible by improving the sound of this unbelievable music. You were definitely respectful to the originals, but all the subtle adjustments and changes really paid off. It truly was a brand new and improved listening experience.

That reminds me, I'm also working my way through The Lay of Lirazel audio book. I had read it once before, but I guess I was starting to forget just how compelling it is. I'm not much of a reader in general (especially not poetry) but this poem is a masterpiece. I'm finding the audio book more entertaining than most movies I've seen recently.

Well, that's all for now. I would just like to say thanks for giving the prog world another chance to hear some of your greatest work ever.

Sorry...I don't check in on the forum as much as I should. Glad you mostly approve of the remixes. And super glad you're enjoying The Lay Of Lirazel! Hope it brings you much joy :)

Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
SpriteBat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 am
Location: Gilbert, Arizona

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by SpriteBat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:19 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:And super glad you're enjoying The Lay Of Lirazel! Hope it brings you much joy :)
It sure did! I'm almost tempted to start memorizing it from the beginning to see how far I can get.

geekfreak
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:57 am
Location: ROUNDABOUT CITY

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by geekfreak » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:05 am

well I`m in a world of wonder within the new 3disc cd`s of IS thanks guys....

Post Reply