A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

I hated TIS

Post by Octavian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I took a big break from the forum because... I really didn't like TIS. I know that means that there's something wrong with me, but there it is. :twisted:

It could be a good thing, I didn't get Going For the One and On to Evermore to begin with (both now favourite albums). And its in the nature of prog, with its more difficult music, and layers of interest, that the initial reaction is often not the final reaction.

That said, I couldn't bear to be the voice of dismay. I love GH so much, and have utmost respect for you guys. :) I didn't want to be a party pooper...

Now I'd better check out the new Ipod thingummy.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 pm

I really want to post Vincent Price here again but I think I've over-used him. Drat!

Welcome back in any case, you heretic!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:57 pm

Well, if you "didn't get" Going For The One I can see TIS would be a problem... :D
That's OK, everyone can't love everything. The next album will be a bit different and it may fare better for you!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:33 pm

Did you draft in a young South African guitarist with an ear for pop melodies? :lol:

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Octavian wrote:Did you draft in a young South African guitarist with an ear for pop melodies? :lol:
No, actually we drafted in a young French guitarist who shreds. :D

The next album won't be a 90125. I think it will be very proggy, but agressive. But probably aggressive in a fun way, not a dark way.

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:10 pm

Dark is great :twisted:
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Shred is great!

Anyone else enjoy 'Truth in Shredding' by the Mike Varney Project?

I figure this is the same Mike Varney from Magna Carta, though this is extreme Jazz rather than prog. It makes my head hurt, but I like it...

Anyway... 90125 is great. I hope GH decide to do a 90125. Of course it would be really retro sounding, these days, to do an 80s album and GH have no interest in doing anything ret...

What am I saying???

:roll:

Go on - do a Chronomotree for the 80s! Quotes from 90125, Invisible Touch, Misplaced Childhood. Sounds great.... you know you want to...

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:37 pm

I think I still like Lex Rex better because there's a lot of songs that just don't interest me as much on Inconsolable Secret. Awesome as Long and Long Ago and KotN are... And I actually think Alkinoos is better than KotN. But still, Lirazel... The HIgh PLace.... Walking Towards Doom.... there are still really awesome ones. I don't know.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:05 pm

Aways remember guys, the members of the band come here, dont be too casual in any comment, not saying anyone in particular, just as a general rule... you never want to cut somone to the quick.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Aways remember guys, the members of the band come here, dont be too casual in any comment, not saying anyone in particular, just as a general rule... you never want to cut somone to the quick.
That's right :D

I love 90125 but I'm not interested in making quite that sort of album right at the moment. But I think what we come up with is going to be pretty cool. There will be lots of guitar...

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Reepicheep » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Even though I only sang on the album, I'm not offended at all
Most of my "favorite" bands and/or artists have released a CD or two that I didn't like, but other's raved about.
But, like I said, I only sang on the album, if I had written it, I might feel differently.

Even in your honesty, I think you were still respectful, very different from a lot of the other folks who have posted bad reviews (thankfully, not on this board :D )
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

santakauz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by santakauz » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:01 am

I have to say I think TIS is the greatest work Glass Hammer has done. Though, the way I listen, I take a good album like a novel. I don't sit there and say "Well, I liked chapter 2, 4, and 7." Listening to those two discs as a single work is just so amazing to me, it really is just one song to me, one concept, one story, just like a book, or movie. The music is so easy to listen to and get lost in, and the theme and lyrics are so engaging. Perhaps TIS isn't the best collection of songs that Glass Hammer has done (though I really think it is) but in terms of scope, production, theme, execution, whatever, I think it is an overwhelming success as a whole, an album. If you're interested in giving it another chance, read Steve's epic poem "The Lay of Lirazel" which comes on the first CD (if you haven't done so). Honestly, I don't think I would have the appreciation for the album if I hadn't read that. Also, put a couple hours aside and put on a great pair of headphones and listen to the thing cover to cover. It's worth a shot!
"What are we holding on to, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for." --The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:30 am

Last edited by Bnielsen on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:42 pm

Give him a break, Brian. I think he's being perfectly respecful about it.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:29 am

I hope the only kind of disrespect I ever show is the cheeky 'Fred for President' kind of disrespect... ;)

I waited months before posting that I didn't like TIS out of respect. I'm part of the grateful wash of Glass Hammer fans who want to hear even more GH albums, so being negative about GH does not come easily...

:(