I hated TIS

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Post by Alatar » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:50 am

Taste is a funny thing. About the only thing people who have like GH can agree on is that "Lex Rex" is one of their best. Even then there are one or two dissenters. Given that GH try to stretch themselves in a new direction every album it is not surprising that a few people are going to look at one of the albums and say "not for me".

For me TIS is in the top three, along with Lex Rex and Chronometree. I am a little surprised that of all their album it is TIS that didn't click for you, after all there are moments from all of their previous albums that are revisited here.

Trivia: Aside from "Live at Nearfest", TIS has the lowest standard deviation of any Glass Hammer album on Gnosis, and has the second highest rating behind "Shadowlands".
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Post by Aswepe » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:33 pm

I've only been a GH fan for a few months, but TIS is currently in "heavy rotation" on all my musical devices. I've been listening pretty much nonstop for 2 months & I like what I hear.

At this point I am partial to The Knights & it has gotten more play the The Lady. But the entire thing is very good as evidenced by my constant listening

Good Job guys. Your best effort to date IMO.

Post by esteban » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:27 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Well, if you "didn't get" Going For The One I can see TIS would be a problem... :D
Why would that be? Are you say there are parallels between these wondrous stories that awaken my stone ears to life, and those others of 1977? Yeah, I may have picked up on that.

While the novel analogy has merit, I think this album is closer to an opera or oratorio. The music, particularly the instrument pieces and interludes, exists to set a tone, a mood, or express what the characters are feeling beyond what is expressed in the lyrical sections. No filler here! The best examples of this stand on their own, as in a Bizet opera or Haydn oratorio.

I've also been playing this album a bunch. It's particular fun to play on my jaunts to Chattanooga. It almost works out to The Knights there, The Lady back.
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Post by theHermit » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:43 pm

TIS took a few spins to really appreciate. Same with the new Compilations. Sometimes with music it's just that way. For the record, 90125 never gelled with me. Owner of a Lonely Heart is a great song, but Rabin was always the wrong fit for Yes, Cinema maybe, but not Yes :twisted:
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

yeshead 777

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:23 pm

I realy admire Octavian for his honesty! that's what's great about this forum-just like a family-you may disagree-but you always try to show respect! I personaaly can't see ANY prog fan not liking GFTO at first, but anyway. IS had to grow on me a liitle- esp. Disc One. for some reason, I've LOVED Disc Two since the first listen-and its the most diverse section of music they've done-maybe thats why I love it so much. Now -I LOVE the whole thing-and try to listen to it completely thru when I do-its much better that way! I can't wait to hear what Fred calls-"more aggressive-in a fun, not dark way" Should be VERY interesting!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].