Having caught a glimpse.

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Moog Taurus
Amateur
Amateur

Having caught a glimpse.

Post by Moog Taurus » Sun May 14, 2006 6:08 am

I was really happy to see the inclusion of the above track on the Belmont DVD , one hightlight amongst many .
It is my current favourite track on TIS but like many times in the past this may change over time.
In particular the section in the middle where Fred is soloing on piano and then Steve comes in with a fantastic Bass guitar sound , a sound I am sure Chris Squire would feel totally at home with.
I think there is a fuzz effect maybe distortion as well that gives the Bass a very memorable presence during that track.
Excellent !

caskof43

Post by caskof43 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:00 pm

I would agree about the beauty of this song! As far as a favorite for me, I am actually at a tie. I love Having Caught a Glimpse and Knight of the North.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Yeah, that chapter brings tears to my eyes each time I play it.

As does Hero's and Dragons.... I just wish they had shown a better shot of Steve's face while he wasn't playing... I wept at the pure look of worship and peace he showed.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:52 pm

Sadly for me, I always feel that the first few minutes of HCAG is always so bland sounding to me, but I love the part with choir. My favorite track of TIS is A Maker of Crowns though, that Keyboard riff is SO catchy. :D

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:03 pm

Shadoshi wrote:Sadly for me, I always feel that the first few minutes of HCAG is always so bland sounding to me, but I love the part with choir. My favorite track of TIS is A Maker of Crowns though, that Keyboard riff is SO catchy. :D
I think of it as reflective - not bland. Look at the painting of the Lady of Shallot. That's the moment that is captured in that part of the song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:25 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote: I think of it as reflective - not bland. Look at the painting of the Lady of Shallot. That's the moment that is captured in that part of the song.
Well, honestly, the only reason I find it bland is becuase of the two incredibly repitid tracks before it. The Lady Waits and The Mirror Cracks could have been a lot more:

1. Majestic

OR:

2. Freaky/Psychedelic

:(

But don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean they aren't written well, I love the notes played, but it felt a little empty, and the intro to HCAG just didn't help it all much. Sorry Steve.

SCORE:

Shadoshi - 1
Steve - 0

:lol:

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Well, when you do your album you do it however you want. :P :D
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:11 pm

Prog Music's Frank wrote:Well, when you do your album you do it however you want. :P :D
Psh. :lol:

Yeah, don't expect better keyboarding, I'm horrible on keys, but I am my band's keyboardest as well as drummer, I just wish I could write Keyboard solos....... :( Due to me not being able to, mine are all improvised and sound horrible compared to yours, so I wasn't complaining....... :cry:

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:22 pm

I know :D As for the soloing thing, just keep doing it!! You'll get better, just like anything else...
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:12 am

Shadoshi! Be nice to the resident band members! :roll:

Score should only be kept of how many times Steve says "You's guys" during an interview =p
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:36 am

Bnielsen wrote:Shadoshi! Be nice to the resident band members! :roll:

Score should only be kept of how many times Steve says "You's guys" during an interview =p
ROFL :lol:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:05 pm

Any more mention of "you guys", and you'd almost think he was from Minnesota... except for that southern twang I've probably made fun of him too many times for... ;)

Yeah, I actually know what you mean about HCAG. WWWY and Heaven are pretty much the only other two big tracks of the same kind of nature... but they're grand, deep, and glorious in a very present way. You wouldn't call them boring, especially Heaven (which is still my favorite GH song). But as I listened to Inconsolable Secret more, and especially after I saw HCAG in concert, I came to understand HCAG more as contemplative - not slow and dragging, but reflective and majestic, and even reverent. It definitely fits. It just takes awhile for it to all click together as fitting.

But I still much prefer Heaven. That song is pretty much my favorite ever.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Any more mention of "you guys", and you'd almost think he was from Minnesota... except for that southern twang I've probably made fun of him too many times for...

Hey! Is it like a tick or something? You guts shouldn't point out any of our negative issues here! Geez - you guys are tough!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:20 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Any more mention of "you guys", and you'd almost think he was from Minnesota... except for that southern twang I've probably made fun of him too many times for...

Hey! Is it like a tick or something? You guts shouldn't point out any of our negative issues here! Geez - you guys are tough!
Steve
Only because we love you, Steve. *halo*
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:05 pm

*Bump*

Wow. A LOT has changed since when I first obtained TIS. I still can't believe I used to think Having Caught A Glimpse contained even an inch of blandness. Plus, my vocabulary and sentence structure was horrendous. And to think it wasn't too long ago. My apologizes still for the rudeness I gave off towards the song and (more not less to) Steve early in the thread.

First off, the irony here, is that I now finally agree whole heartedly with Steve and completely see why the song was structured the way it was. I actually would probably consider HCAG one of my favorite songs on the album. I love every minute of it.

I guess all of my negativity came from being uneducated on sophistication towards music at the time. My tastes have changed within the same genre, and I can't even get over how majestic all of TIS is. Of course, we all know how obsessed with the album I am because of all of the praise I give it almost daily on this forum. :lol:
Anyway, just wanted to point out how much has changed in under just a year.