The Inconsolable Secret For Dummies

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

The Inconsolable Secret For Dummies

Post by Shadoshi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:46 pm

I did it. Yes, I read Steve's poem. And YES, it DOES shed a LOT of light on the story of The Inconsolable Secret. What I want to do right here and now is create a quick flow chart that is simple and easy to understand for those who just don't "get" TIS's amazingly creative story. Allow me to begin.

We begin our tale on the first song on disc 2 "Long Long Ago", it turns out that disc 1 is simply a back-story told later on in the tale.

Long Long Ago is a simple straight-forward based introduction, and sets the mood for the tale by explaining that there are secrets within legends and stories are passed down from each generation.

Lirazel, our princess and main character, awakes (now onto "The Morning She Woke") and sings a happy song. Her "father" the King, tells her that all the lands to the East, West, and South belong to her because she is his heir. But it seems our heroine does not care for the land, she instead seeks a prince, a love of sorts to call her own. The King mocks it off and instead sends her to survey the land so she can learn of it, and thus she ventures across the lands to see what there is to see.

She returns and all is well for a long time passing, and after this time meets present she beings to feel a strange shadow amoung her, calling her to the North. And while in her daily strolls through the garden a witch by the name of Morrigan tells her of the lands beyond (aka, the North lands).

She asks her father of the Northern land, and he decides to bring her to the High Place (And.... Um.... Obviously meaning, we're at "The High Place" on disc 2). He shows her statues of the four knights, The Knight of the East, West, South, and North (and they all have real names, but all you need to know is that the Knight of The North's name is "Mog Ruith"... sound familiar? ;) ). But he refuses to explain why they are there. Thus Lirazel points toward the northern part of the land that has been haunting her. She tells him to wait through the night with her there, and they do. When night falls the land reveals evil creatures and a black tower. The King recognizes that the Knight of The North has once again returned. Thus, he decides to explain the past to his daughter....

(Now onto disc 2, starting with Maker of Crowns)....
So this part is self-explanatory. The King forges a crown unlike any the world has ever seen, and the Knights ponder upon who will wear it when it is finished. The King announces it will be for his daughter and the knights grow angry and question the King. The King (don't ask why, it just leads itself this way) explains that he made the knights out of stone to protect her when she becomes the Queen, and that is why they had no pasts and were "randomly" put into life one day. Thus the knights were happy again, except (obviously) the Knight of The North who instead started dreaming of being the king himself. His witch (apparantly the knights have witches or something... I dunno, lol) then began cursing him, and he became evilish. He wanted to marry the princess for himself and for that was banished to his tower in the north, okay, and obviously you guys know the next part, which is the war taking place in the song "The Knight of the North"... duh.

So back to disc 1.
Lirazel becomes angry at her father for destroying the only man who ever wanted to marry her, and, long story short, runs off to the tower where the Knight of The North is (because basically, TKoTN came back from being "dead" because all the King did was seal him away, and obviously that magic wore off, and that explains why the King knew that he was back to life again). So as you all know, the Knight's main goal from the Knight of The North was to curse the princess forever, hence the lines "I will curse her, curse her forever!". Thus with that, leads us to our next part.

Lirazel makes her way across the northern land ("Walking Toward Doom") and gets deceived by Morrigan (again) by glancing into a mirror at the very top of the tower. She glanced into the mirror because it showed her of what she dreamed of, a prince and marriage, but in reality, it was a trap set up by the evil knight to curse her for eternity. Upon her glancing of the mirror she became still as stone and was trapped facing the mirror and watching other's lives for eternity. Or so we thought.

(Edit)
MayorofLongView wrote:The King actually brings forth a fifth Knight at the end. That's the prince who will marry Lirazel. Its in the poem, but might be a little vague. The King represents God, Lirazel - the bride (the church) and the Prince represents Christ.
(That should clear the ending up a tad better)
Last edited by Shadoshi on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:07 am

:shock:
Whoa, Shadoshi, seriously thank you for this effort! A lot of things are clearer in my head now!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:20 am

Bnielsen wrote::shock:
Whoa, Shadoshi, seriously thank you for this effort! A lot of things are clearer in my head now!
Yes - and now I won't have to write the book! :lol:
I'm just kidding - I'm actually 60,000 words into the novel. (And that only covers the part where Lirazel goes off to explore the forest).
You've got most of it right - And thanks so much for reading it. Obviously it was a labor of love (and madness). PM me if you have any questions.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:37 pm

Holy Cow, Steve!

This is soo amazing... ever think something like this could get picked up for a feature-length film?
Brian Nielsen

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:36 pm

Bnielsen wrote::shock:
You're quite welcome, it was fun to write this up.
MayorOfLongview wrote: I'm actually 60,000 words into the novel. (And that only covers the part where Lirazel goes off to explore the forest).
You've got most of it right - And thanks so much for reading it. Obviously it was a labor of love (and madness).
My apologies first off for anything misinterupted, as I unfortunately didn't have the time last night to finish off some of the last sections completely, and instead got what I could from the plot itself. But I am going to finish reading all I missed (which SERIOUSLY wasn't much, thus I never mentioned that in the above post from me). And let me say, it was no problem at all and I REALLY enjoyed it. The style was outstanding and the choice of words amazed me. Honestly, I got so hyped about it, I listened to TIS all the way through 3 times in a row within the course of the past 2 days. :lol:
I also, have started writing an epic "poem" myself in light of you're ideas. Except, instead of it being a poem, I am straight out writing a whole concept album for my band's next album (or album afterwards because of this "poem's" length) down the road. A good difference is that my plot line isn't going to straight forward at all. The lyrics will require major analysing to understand the plot, which I personally love. Plus, some of the lyrics ponder upon the plot itself, and even question the meaning to it all as well as adding questions. Overall it's going to be one huge conspiracy (government style :lol: ). Thank you Steve for you're very inspirational story and album, and I really hope we one get another concept album within the roots of TIS from the GH crew. :D :D

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Holy Cow, Steve!

This is soo amazing... ever think something like this could get picked up for a feature-length film?
I wish! One thing I wanted to clear up though...
The King actually brings forth a fifth Knight at the end. That's the prince who will marry Lirazel. Its in the poem, but might be a little vague. The King represents God, Lirazel - the bride (the church) and the Prince represents Christ.
Glad you've enjoyed it!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:36 am

Well, now I'm going to have to go back through the lyrics myself, and take a look at the poem too. I thought I understood a fair chunk of the plot, but now I understand that I only saw it through a glass darkly. To coin a phrase. I also like the fact that you took a pun literally to form a metaphor, to whit "you are the rock on which I build my church".

Actually, side 1 reminded me an awful lot of the Ainulindale. The Knight of the North is obviously a Lucifer / Melkor figure.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:23 am

What actually happens to the crown may be a little foggy due to poor writing on my part. During the fight between the witch and the Knight of the South, the crown is burried in the rock - the last spell of the Southern Knight. Lirazel can see (in the mirror) that her Father is beginning to carve something from that rock (years later of course) and by the end of the tale - a new Knight emerges carrying the crown with him.
A lot of the poem hinges on one simple idea - trust in the King. Much evil results as each character makes his own way - apart from the King's will. He has a plan - trust in it. But somehow - he has magically worked everyone's mistakes into that plan - and it all works out just the same. Reminds me of God :)
Steve

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Amazing, and thus, the plot holes are filled, and thus we have TIS figured out now, right? :D

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Steve, now you just have to explain the shameless plug for Taco Bell on page 23 ;-)

er... thats a joke folks...
Brian Nielsen

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:49 pm

Bnielsen wrote:Steve, now you just have to explain the shameless plug for Taco Bell on page 23 ;-)

er... thats a joke folks...
I know you're kidding.... But.... Um.... What?

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 pm

Man, just the other day I got chills down my spine from figuring out that the reason The Morning She Woke starts so abruptly is because that was literally when Lirazel was first brought to life, yet she acted as if she had always been to life.

*Song starts without almost any time to breathe*
'The sun rose up the morning young
Of fair things the maiden sung'

That's absolutely genius Steve. For a long time I was a tad put off by how the song seemed to just randomly start, but now I 'get' it better. And I think I still stand firm in my belief (despite the positive reaction I've given to COA) that TIS is GH's music pinnacle. There's so much bursting creativity here. I still to this day find new things in the album each time I hear it.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:08 am

Shadoshi wrote:Man, just the other day I got chills down my spine from figuring out that the reason The Morning She Woke starts so abruptly is because that was literally when Lirazel was first brought to life, yet she acted as if she had always been to life.

*Song starts without almost any time to breathe*
'The sun rose up the morning young
Of fair things the maiden sung'

That's absolutely genius Steve. For a long time I was a tad put off by how the song seemed to just randomly start, but now I 'get' it better. And I think I still stand firm in my belief (despite the positive reaction I've given to COA) that TIS is GH's music pinnacle. There's so much bursting creativity here. I still to this day find new things in the album each time I hear it.
Most folks would have no idea she was only 3 days old when the adventure starts unless they read the poem. Keep up your admiration for it, and I might just send you a page or two from the book!!! :)
Thanks for the comments...
steve

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:42 pm

:shock:
*squeals like a fan-girl who just got an auto-graph from her favorite boy band*

:lol: