Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

NelStone
Amateur
Amateur

Post by NelStone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:46 am

Sam Gamgee wrote:I really don't like Mog Ruith. I usually skip it. Eew. Too strident and spidery and no singing.
I enjoy an instrumental track every now and then. Let's a band really show its chops sometimes. And the spideryness of it is exactly what I love about the track. :D

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Inconsolable Secret is such a sweet record and one that I practically wore out, especially that summer of 2005 in our travels. So many of the songs bring back such strong memories of places. I don't know how to feel about a new IS!
"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;"
- from the Prayer of St. Francis

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm kind of eager for the new IS, since it's nearly impossible to get a copy of the original one...

...but my hope above all hopes is that the "classic feeling" will be there...on straight words: not to much sequencers.

BTW, I love [wisely used ] eletronic sequencers, like the ones on "Culture of Ascent", but, it's just a feeling...
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:18 pm

Do you mean the loops and beats, that sort of thing? No, we're not adding any of that to IS. I'm mainly adding lushness where appropriate- some acoustic guitar bits, extra keyboard pads and the like. Mainly we're working on making the sound better and bigger but keeping the same overall feel it always had!

BTW, I've floated the idea of maybe including the original mixes with the new version, but as a single disk- like a FLAC disk, say. At the very least the classic IS will always be available as a download for anyone who decides they prefer it.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:41 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Do you mean the loops and beats, that sort of thing? No, we're not adding any of that to IS. I'm mainly adding lushness where appropriate- some acoustic guitar bits, extra keyboard pads and the like. Mainly we're working on making the sound better and bigger but keeping the same overall feel it always had!

BTW, I've floated the idea of maybe including the original mixes with the new version, but as a single disk- like a FLAC disk, say. At the very least the classic IS will always be available as a download for anyone who decides they prefer it.
Wow, that's pretty good news!

I have to say that some parts that seem a little "to little" or "without lushness" really caught me the first time I listened to IS, like "Long and Long Ago" that's one of my favorites.

But this news sound pretty good indeed, I'm eagerly waiting. Really.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Very interesting vocal developments on the redo of Inconsolable Secret today. Very interesting indeed...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Interesting is good... right?!
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:28 am

Japes wrote:Interesting is good... right?!
Interesting is... interesting... :P we're loving it.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 am

ba da baa baa baaaaa?

I can't wait!!! :D
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

shanocles
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shanocles » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:18 am

yeah sounds great. its gonna be so good i can tell!

yanks07
Amateur
Amateur

Post by yanks07 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 pm

I hadn't checked this topic before. Thats crazy what happened losing so much work, and then to find most of it. Happy to hear this project is moving along. I'm one of those big GH fans who isn't totally in love with Inconsolable Secred. A lot to enjoy hear, and it has grown on me a lot over the past few years. I guess I always had some minor complaints, which I'm hoping the new version will make far more appealing. Disc one is some of the more up-tempo prog rock that I crave. Yet I always felt the production was lacking. There is this dry, somewhat cold feel to it, not that epic, big sound. Love the two songs, but I thought it could sound better. Disc two is quite beautiful, but maybe more emphasis could have been placed on the core band elements -the orchestral and choir elements are great as is. Even if the "corrections" -I hate to call them that, are not exactly what I'm looking for, I do think there will be plenty to like in the update of this GH release. Definitely an auto-buy for me.
And now for something completly different

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

yanks07 wrote:I hadn't checked this topic before. Thats crazy what happened losing so much work, and then to find most of it. Happy to hear this project is moving along. I'm one of those big GH fans who isn't totally in love with Inconsolable Secred. A lot to enjoy hear, and it has grown on me a lot over the past few years. I guess I always had some minor complaints, which I'm hoping the new version will make far more appealing. Disc one is some of the more up-tempo prog rock that I crave. Yet I always felt the production was lacking. There is this dry, somewhat cold feel to it, not that epic, big sound. Love the two songs, but I thought it could sound better. Disc two is quite beautiful, but maybe more emphasis could have been placed on the core band elements -the orchestral and choir elements are great as is. Even if the "corrections" -I hate to call them that, are not exactly what I'm looking for, I do think there will be plenty to like in the update of this GH release. Definitely an auto-buy for me.
Anything Glass Hammer puts out is an auto-buy for me :D
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

aswas

Post by aswas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Wow, having read all of the posts, this sounds so awesome. It is an auto buy for me. Of course, anything that comes from GH, Steve, and Fred is an auto buy for me. But it sounds great. Looking forward to it, and I am looking forward to getting involved in the GH forum. Thanks
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:47 pm

How goes it, Fred and Steve?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

aswas

Post by aswas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:09 am

Brian,

Looking forward to chatting you in the forum. Daniel