A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Is there any proposed release date?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

doctorrobert

Re: Inconsolable Secret revisited? Why?

Post by doctorrobert » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:30 am

I wasn't originally enamored with the idea of a new IS, but now I'd like to hear it with Jon Davison! :)

doctorrobert

Post by doctorrobert » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:32 am

Actually, why not add the new band entirely :?:

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:23 am

doctorrobert wrote:Actually, why not add the new band entirely :?:
I can't decide if I would like this new lineup with IS. I still miss Walter Moore on vocals, no matter how good anyone is that they bring in. Maybe it's just because my first GH albums were Chronometree, Lex Rex, Shadowlands, and IS. I'm sure whatever happens will be great but I think it would be awesome to get Walter to do a guest track, or something.
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

doctorrobert

Post by doctorrobert » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Japes wrote:
I can't decide if I would like this new lineup with IS. I still miss Walter Moore on vocals, no matter how good anyone is that they bring in. Maybe it's just because my first GH albums were Chronometree, Lex Rex, Shadowlands, and IS. I'm sure whatever happens will be great but I think it would be awesome to get Walter to do a guest track, or something.
I agree.Actually, I kinda miss Matt as well. Where are these guys anyway?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:53 am

doctorrobert wrote:
Japes wrote:
I agree.Actually, I kinda miss Matt as well. Where are these guys anyway?
Hoping to clarify a bit: Matt will not vanish from the IS remake. Walter will only be replaced on 2-3 songs and in a few spots where the key and emotion of the song suited Jon Davison or Susie B. better. It'll make sense once you hear it - I hope ! :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:40 pm

ahhh? So! Would it be fair to say that much of TIS:2 is musical additionals and alterations and not so much the vocals?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Bnielsen wrote:ahhh? So! Would it be fair to say that much of TIS:2 is musical additionals and alterations and not so much the vocals?
And more of rethinking than a re-imagining?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:35 pm

For instance, Susie will sing lead in a few spots where she didn't on the 1st version. Jon will also sing lead on at least 2 major tracks. Susie resang "Through a Glass Darkly", but only to get a better recording. Guitars have been added from 2 guitarists, some keyboards have changed, mixes are richer. Drums were remixed - that kind of thing mostly. We are talking about adding a song, and the song order will change to match the concept and storyline more accurately.
Still - we aren't saying the 1st version is bad or even wrong. Its just how we hear it now and what we would have done then if we could have :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:43 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:Still - we aren't saying the 1st version is bad or even wrong. Its just how we hear it now and what we would have done then if we could have :)
Steve
If the first version of TIS was bad, I don't want good. It was a brilliant album, and I can't wait for the new version...
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm beating a dead horse, I know, and I acknowledge this, but...

When is this happening?! I've been so pumped for it the past... well... couple years... I guess my pump-upedness is starting to fade :'(

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:34 pm

!me gives japes a shove

I'm still very excited about this!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Bnielsen wrote:!me gives japes a shove

I'm still very excited about this!
Well that's not very nice...

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Japes wrote:I'm beating a dead horse, I know, and I acknowledge this, but...

When is this happening?! I've been so pumped for it the past... well... couple years... I guess my pump-upedness is starting to fade :'(
Well, basically, the world in general is more pumped for new music than old, and we're very involved in new music. So that's the current priority. We still have plans to do some kind of re-issue of IS that will have the work we have done so far (which is a lot) on the "Revisited" versions represented on it. But when? Not sure. Either late this year or early next.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:23 pm

FredProgGH wrote:
Japes wrote:I'm beating a dead horse, I know, and I acknowledge this, but...

Well, basically, the world in general is more pumped for new music than old, and we're very involved in new music. So that's the current priority. We still have plans to do some kind of re-issue of IS that will have the work we have done so far (which is a lot) on the "Revisited" versions represented on it. But when? Not sure. Either late this year or early next.
Wow, that's actually way sooner than I would have expected!

In regard to your "new music" comment, that's too bad. Since purchasing your early works (pre-Chronometree, or even what I consider to be the Walter Moore era, two different sections of GH music but still "early" in comparison to 2011) I've become a huge fan of those more so than newer albums like "If." That's not to say I don't like "If," but if Top 40 music is a 4/10 for me, then the early stuff is a 10/10, while newer albums are a 9. I've completely fallen in love with some of the catchier songs you've written like, in my opinion, Science Fiction and Somewhere Out There, as well as epics like In The Court of Alkinoos and Arianna. Well, I'm rambling now, but, to the point I guess I am making now... Will Glass Hammer see a return to this? "If" felt more akin to some earlier works in many ways, but still just doesn't have the "sound" or "catchiness" I fell in love with.

Still your biggest fan, and only Inconsolable Playstation Owner, though! Okay, so "biggest" fan might be debatable (just look at the other active members on the forum!), but, seriously, you guys rock!