A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:15 pm

The Beatles had the White Album. Call TIS the "Pink Album."

::snickering in my bunker::
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:54 pm

Look people, pink is as low as you can go. Ok, so rumpska's tie is nice and all, but pink is not a color for PROGGING. I wonder what is? Hm... Black wouldn't be quite right - to bland, like gothy techno. Prog's not violent enough for blood red. I think maybe it is more of a green. Like a dark green or a slightly lighter green with a little blue in it, so almost teal (because forest green is maybe too relaxing)... Or maybe orange. Like the glasshammer.com orange. I like that orange. Kinda reddish, but not as much as those "bittersweet" colored cold crayola markers...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:20 am

ty hijackers. I love you all.

Amazon has it up- as do many others. still need help with the wiki article please
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:37 am

Wikipedia is supposed to be Neutral Point of View, so don't be surprised if somebody removes your edit. Probably a better bet is to create links for each of the albums, write a brief, objective summary, and then add some external links to reviews of that particular album. Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wish_You_W ... 28album%29 to see how a page dedicated to a specific album can look. Links to sound samples won't hurt either.

If you are keen to bring a little more attention to Glass Hammer on wikipedia a mention of them on wikipedia's Progressive Rock page is a good idea.

On a related note, I once considered buying a copy of "Going for the One" from Amazon just so that I could use the "If you liked this album you might also like" function on Shadowlands.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:46 am

hm, yeah i suppose thats true...
Brian Nielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:16 am

just submitted my review to progressiveears =)
Brian Nielsen

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:01 pm

It is now up on progressive ears =)
Brian Nielsen

KindStranger187

Post by KindStranger187 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:03 pm

Nice reveiw. I can't do any better, so I'll just say:

Wow! Great album, GH! Thanks!
Kind Stranger

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:02 pm

ARRGGGH!!!!!!!!!

I just finished listening to both discs, and it is AMAZING.

Wow.

:shock:

*The Alien is unable to express her joy in real words at this moment. Please be patient as she recovers from Hammershock. Thank you.*

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Review

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:22 pm

I'm finally getting around to a mini-review!:This CD gets better with every listen, and I'm on listen 4 or 5 now.CD One:A Maker of Crowns:not one of my favs,but still good.Great piano by Fred, has a tight jazzy feel at times,just a little too reminiscent of Shadowlands.Knight of the North:A great epic-very tight vocals,very consistant musically with some nice changes-Very Good.Disc Two-Is All AWESOME!!!Hard to pick a fav here-LALA-5stars,TMSW-4 1/2 stars,Lirazel-4 stars,the next 4 tracks all 4 to 4 1/2 stars-I love the orchestra parts, and Susie is finally given the chance to shine on lead vocals on this disc.TAGD-5 stars, absolutely stunning!And the final tune-"Having caught a glimpse" is one of their best,reminiscient of "Heaven" at times. All in all, every bit as good as Lex Rex, and maybe their best yet-It keeps getting better!!!!!Peace,David.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:37 am

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said!?

I've only really been giving "The Knights" a spin (although I'm listening to "The Lady" as I type) but this undoubtedly is the work that puts GH on the top rung as far as I'm concerned. Other people have described the music and the vocals and I certainly agree with the glowing praise bestowed on these. For me, however, the remarkable thing is the confidence and cohesion in the whole piece. It's no small matter to tackle a project of this nature (let alone subject matter!) but everyone has just sailed thorugh it with aplomb.

"The Knights" alone is a worthy companion to any of the landmark progressive albums you care to mention (CttE, SEbtP, Tarkus etc.) and I still think the final 5 minutes of "The Knight Of The North" will just soar in a live setting. It's up there with "Awaken" for me (it's THAT good :shock: )

"The Lady" is a another beast entirely. I'll post some thoughts once I've given it a few (dozen :D) more spins. On the one hand it's a departure from GH's norm but on the other hand it's a logical progression for a group of musicians with the talent and ambition of our friends. Can a full orchestral score or symphonic piece be that far away? Hmmm.... :wink:

In keeping with the inspiration for the piece, I can hear the ethereal influence of composers such as Vaughn Williams, Bax and perhaps Holst? "The Lady" definitely has firm roots in a tradition that includes those composers and others and also evokes the ethos of the Pre-Raphaelites and perhaps even William Morris' Arts & Crafts. Also I'll have to, for once, read the lyrics to gain a fuller appreciation!

Suffice to say, "The Lady" requires a lot more study (who would have thought listening to music was so cerebral? :lol:)

One final thought, if the Silmarillion is ever filmed I can think of no better composers because I'm reading through tales of Valinor and Numenor and this music resonates strongly with those Tales.

So 2 out of five stars then? (JOKING!) :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:39 am

woohoo! i just sat down and figured out all the chord progressions and keyboard parts for 'Having Caught a Glimpse' mmm that was fun! =)

Steve/fred: check my chords for the ending part please?

Eb - Bb - Gb - Db - Ab - Eb - Bb - Fsus4th - Gb
Brian Nielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:46 am

Yep, that looks right.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:31 pm

:guitar: awesome
Brian Nielsen

Streetcrawler

Post by Streetcrawler » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:05 am

I just got my copy of TIS a few weeks ago. First I must say I started listening to "old" prog before "neo" prog (Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, King Crimson) even though I wasn't around when all of that old stuff came out. I guess I got into new prog stuff by listening to Dream Theater, and then finding out about bands related to them or bands in the "neo" scene (Tiles, Porcupine Tree, IQ, Magellan).

TIS takes a couple of listens to really understand and appreciate. I say this even though I have listened to some of the most challening prog out there (Tales from Topographic Oceans, anyone?). It is well worth the time though. This album is fantastic. The musicianship is top notch, the melodies are the catchiest in the genre and all the songs are memorable.

There seems to be a lot of hat tipping on this album. I swear GH were channeling Gentle Giant on a few parts in The Night of the North. And a lot of the keyboards sound very similar to something Tony Banks would play, which I think is a great compliment to the musicians of GH. Even if they do borrow elements from the past, GH has indeed written a totally fresh album. I know they don't tour much, but if they are ever even remotely close to where I'm at, I will have to see them.