ProgressiveEars Thread

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:57 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:The list of promo copies for the next album has grown shorter by two.
8)
Well, if there's a couple of free slots now...ahem :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:02 am

That's exactly what I was thinking, Ted. :lol:
*nudge nudge, wink wink*
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:29 am

I think first dibs on the free slots should go to your overseas fans. I finally got mine today, ten days after the official release date (I'm listening to it now with the t-shirt on. Mmm, Mellotron).
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:46 am

awesome alatar! be sure to make a new post for your full review.

hey TED! git offa yer lazy bum, and make your review too!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:27 am

Dude, Brian, give them time to digest! :roll: That's a lot of music and a lot of genius to have sink in!

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:22 am

=p true- but pardon a fellow for looking fowared to more reactions to a fantastic album! :twisted:
Brian Nielsen

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:36 am

My review should be up on the Ground and Sky webpage in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately Glass Hammer albums usually take longer than that for me to fully settle my opinion on. Lex Rex I started to really get into about four months after I got it. Shadowlands on the other hand I went a little cool on (I still like it, just not as much as I thought I did).

Anyway, the moral of this story is that whatever I say about TIS in my review will be wrong. :D

I am really enjoying what I've heard so far. Morrigan's Song sounds like a superior song from the Middle Earth album. A couple of ELP andYes keyboard references elsewhere.

Mog Ruith sounds like a cross between ELP and Baletto di Bronzo, and so has an Arsnova feel to it. Ooh, I'm going to be playing this one a lot, and I still won't be able to take it all in. Well done guys!

Some good all round performances here. Susie's voice is better than ever, the keyboards are yummy, the bass player sounds like he is playing with a dud hand (only kidding) and who is that recorder virtuoso.

All this, and Australia is doing well in the cricket. I am one happy camper.

Razors edge

Post by Razors edge » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Hey People, I'm a new guy,call me razorsedge. This paul "CLOWN" is really a rude and arrogant fellow,this was the first post I read since joining. He sounds like the kind of person who wipes his arse before he dumps. Simply put, respect and appreciation are in order for Glass Hammer and all other musicians. These guys work very hard to attain this brilliance. Paul, if you don't have anything good to say,keep your mouth SHUT or your fingers still.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:33 pm

welcome to the forum mate!
Brian Nielsen

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:13 pm

Hey, welcome, razor's edge! :cheers:

How did you come to hear of Glass Hammer? Feel free to make a more complete introduction of yourself somewhere more cheerful if you like, like maybe introductions thread in prancing pony or just start a new one. This thread is just kind of dismal and depressing. :?

Razors edge

Man of Peace Razors Edge

Post by Razors edge » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:58 pm

I heard about GH on the Prog Highway. I was in search of some epic prog. I read as many reviews as I could find, and everyone was excellent. So, I purchased "Inconsolable Secret" from Amazon.com. It should arrive in a couple of days. I can hardly wait, there's nothing like crackin' that seal and listening for the first time. And with the scope of this music I'm sure layers upon layers of beauty will be revealed with each subsequent listen. I'm 50yrs old and first discovered prog with the "Nice," "King Crimson", Barclay James Harvest and Genesis. Musically, I have never been quite the same since. I also love blues guitar players: Hendrix, Stevie Ray. Johnny Winter, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher and Clapton and Santana to name a few. I'm from the "Burgh" here in PA. I also am new to posting so bear with me, and any advice would be helpful. Peace.
RazorsEdge--man of peace and love.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Man of Peace Razors Edge

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:49 pm

Razors edge wrote: I'm from the "Burgh" here in PA. I also am new to posting so bear with me, and any advice would be helpful. Peace.
Allright, a homey!! My brother still lives there. Speaking of blues guitar and prog, that would be an accurate descrption of Gary Green, Gentle Giant's guitar player. Check out his solos on stuff like Experience from In A Glass House.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Geophysicist

Critics: real and pretender

Post by Geophysicist » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Paul is a critic in his own eye. But Sam Karnick is the real thing (and one of the very best in my opinion). A few excerpts of his comments on TIS:

Side 1:

However, I am coming to the conclusion that the two songs are truly brilliant—classics of the form. I believe that I will require another half-dozen listens of that disc before I can review the album for a broader public. But I will do so soon.

Side 2:

I've just listened to disc two for the first time, and all I can say about it is that it is stunningly beautiful.

Disc two appears to me to be a new step in the realm of popular music. It is that important.

I have had three listens, and my thoughts are much closer to Sam's than Paul's (for more comments from Karnick, see reformclub.blogspot.com, and scroll or search your way down the column). The male vocals are superb, and the female vocals are sublime. My overall impression of TIS has already been stated by Sam: stunningly beautiful.

Now excuse me while I get out my compact hyperbaric chamber so that I can have another look at my signed TIS t-shirt...
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:31 am

You're up to 90+ replies on the thread on PE-that's more controversy than Even Neal Morse recieves! Guess you can't have Christians making intelligent music getting glowing reviews!It's just too much to ask for I guess!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:42 am

In fact, the only thread that has more hits is the one for the review of the new Frogg Cafe CD-and it and it's review are just as controversial as IS if not more!!!So take solace in that guys! I guess PE thrives on controversy like everything else in the media today!