ProgressiveEars Thread

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:07 am

yeshead 777 wrote:You're up to 90+ replies on the thread on PE-that's more controversy than Even Neal Morse recieves! Guess you can't have Christians making intelligent music getting glowing reviews!It's just too much to ask for I guess!
Are they bashing Christians now? I'd like to know. I'm not reading the thread, but I'd like to know.
The jerk that actually jumped in and ruined this thread, he has taken this one step too far. I want you all to know that it has spilled over into my private email and has my family upset due to the threatining tone of the text and our history with this guy. The folks in charge of PE know this, but those posting to the thread do not. This guy is warped and doesn't live to far from here. He hates GH and I'm pretty sure he hates me and what we stand for.

I"m pretty sure, since that is what he basically says in his email. The PE guys are probably not going to do anything about it, though I've asked them to.

I've heard from a few GH fans that have basically been bullied out of PE or at least that thread. According to one very influential prog personality, PE has become a bad place. Its like the kind of dark street you only want to walk down if you're in a group. That's too bad. It was one of my favorite sites.

Thanks for listening :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
Bogatyr
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:01 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Post by Bogatyr » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:29 am

Stevo, it's sad that you have to put up with a headcase like Paul. Raymond did put up his version of a cease and desist order in the thread, so hopefully the flames will die down. I'll be praying for your safety and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding for you and your family. Remember what I told you, Jeremiah! The Lord's got a mission for you, which is just about to unfold. Think the enemy likes that fact? Expect more fiery darts, bro! Shows yer on the right track ;)

As far as PE members trashing Christians, that's old news. It has gotten almost to the point where rec.music.progressive had been, so hopefully Sean and Raymond will start becoming enforcers sometime soon.
Wheee!

User avatar
Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:37 am

!me activates the sound resources force field
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03
Image

User avatar
SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Beal Feirste, Eire

Post by SuperTed » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:30 am

Does anyone else see the irony in someone so joyless climbing all over something so joyful?

"The dwarfs are for the dwarfs!" :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:47 am

...how miserable must one be for this sort of thing... oy...
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03
Image

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:20 pm

Bogatyr wrote: Think the enemy likes that fact? Expect more fiery darts, bro! Shows yer on the right track ;)
Thanks :) I came to the same conclusion earlier today. We're getting some really terrific reviews of this album. A few demon-possesed creeps on PE aren't going to stop GH. We'll survive this.
When the statements about our beliefs began to show up, it all kinda came clear to me. This really isn't about GH or Walter's voice or any of their other complaints. We know what it all comes down to, and it isn't GH.
Amazing but true, The Inconsolable Secret (the album) even causes some people anguish that haven't even heard it, and I think that is revealing.
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Beal Feirste, Eire

Post by SuperTed » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:56 pm

Not to keep harping on but...

I've just read the list of reviews that the original PE protagonist has on Amazon, expecting to see a list of curmudgeonly diatribes but, surprisingly, he seems to be quite an erudite sort! I have to therefore retract some earlier statements I made about him.

However, I still think he likes the spotlight a touch too much and enjoys the occasional troll episode.

Of course, the subject of personal mails that cause offence or upset is totally beyond the pale and, were it me, I'd be somewhat less restrained than our illustrious Mayor :evil: (that's the West Belfast in me, I'm afraid!)

It just makes it that much more disappointing in a way I suppose...

Edited after more research...

3-star Chronometree review on Amazon
So the disc is very enjoyable overall.
ProgressiveEars on the subject of the same album
I sold that turkey long ago...
I take it all back (again)! The guy's a dingleberry!! :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: The World of Ideas
Contact:

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:49 pm

SuperTed wrote: "The dwarfs are for the dwarfs!" :wink:
I must admit, that was exactly what I was thinking! :lol:
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

User avatar
Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:27 am
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Contact:

Post by Reepicheep » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:48 pm

:shock: GEEZ that thread is harsh.
I'm just gonna say what I'm thinking here, since, God help me, I would NEVER even set one hypothetical foot, in that snake pit.
What annoys me most, is this:

I thought, the prog genre was one that was proud of the fact that it is somewhat of an underground subculture, that is "above" radio play, and is only appreciated by a musically superior, elite few.

So I don't get why people are arguing against GH saying that they lack the record sales and fame that would really prove them great.
Would GH selling more records, and being played on the radio really mean that they are better musically?
I'm pretty sure that Britney Spears sells more records than GH does, does that mean she is a better musician?
(Obviously, if I had stated that on that other thread, some wiseguy would probably say SOMETHING).
Anyway, I'm not saying record sales are bad (in fact, stop reading this, buy more GH CD's NOW, NOW, NOW!! :))
I'm just wondering when that started dictating what was "good music" in the prog world.
And about the fact that GH isn't a household name? Same argument as above, plus another point, that being:
(Get ready for this shocker)
Most of my friends aren't familiar with Yes or Kansas....GASP!!!!
I know this from the repeated blank stares I get. First after they ask "What kind of band is it that you sing in?", 2nd as I say "Progressive Rock" and 3rd, after I say "You know, like 'Yes', or 'Kansas' "....blank.
So, I guess that means they aren't that good either.

I don't get why they bash folks for having a good opinion about a band.
It's like they don't understand the concept of OPINION.
A review is always just someones opinion.
What bothers me, is that the fan-bashers in that thread act like they are the end-all in music knowledge.
Newsflash: What makes an album great for someone may not be the same for someone else.

I encountered the same attitudes in college as a music major.
I couldn't take the competition, and the idea that music had to have some exact formula and all the right elements to be correct.
Yes, I appreciate all of those things.
But I'm still gonna go home and listen to Sarah McLachlan because I think her music is beautiful.

I believe in my heart that GH is EXCELLENT, intelligent AND beautiful, and I am thankful that as a musician, even when it's "only singing" I am always challenged by being part of this band.

I wish I could say this to the guy on the PE thread:

1.People like what they like
2.You don't know everything
3.Most of the world doesn't care what you think
4. BACK OFF

GH has become like family to me over the last couple of years and I really don't like it when they are messed with.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."

dragonflame713
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:07 pm
Contact:

Post by dragonflame713 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:44 am

Reepicheep wrote:
I don't get why they bash folks for having a good opinion about a band.
It's like they don't understand the concept of OPINION.
A review is always just someones opinion.
What bothers me, is that the fan-bashers in that thread act like they are the end-all in music knowledge.
Newsflash: What makes an album great for someone may not be the same for someone else.
I made the mistake of stopping in and looking at that thread today again, when I had told myself I was done with looking at it. Let's just say curiosity killed the cat here.

You are very right in what you say here about a review, it's just the opinion of the one who writes it. I wrote one of the 2 reviews at Progressive Ears, and it's definitely positive. It's also very honest. My first impression of "The Inconsolable Secret" is that it not only met my expectations, but exceeded them! I knew it was gonna be a great album, but I was stunned at just how great it turned out to be. That's my opinion, and it's a shame that an opinion such as this some feel has no credibility because it is so positive. I haven't read where anyone has said anything bad about what I personally have written there, but there are all kinds of darts thrown at those who are fans and who have written glowing reviews for the album. Generalizing like this really sucks to say the least!

What I try to do when I write about something is to be descriptive as I can about it. This way it gives a good idea of what to expect to those who read it. I have read negative reviews that inspired me to buy a CD, and positive reviews that have told me to stay far away.

What I don't understand is how some feel they have to be on such a vendetta to bring down an artist, where it looks as though it's an obsession. :roll: I mean I personally can't stand bands such as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or The Red Masque (for example), but I certainly don't feel it's my mission in life to trash bands like this every time they are brought up. To me that is very immature way of thinking.

To see people who like to think of themselves as being intellectual acting like kindergarten kids is such as shame. I am totally disgusted with all of that crap... :evil:

Dean
Last edited by dragonflame713 on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:20 am

hey! language! lol...

I hear you though- I think our two reviews meant more to the people on p.e. than that thread did
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03
Image

User avatar
SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Beal Feirste, Eire

Post by SuperTed » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:07 am

Bnielsen wrote:hey! language! lol...
Yeah "intellectual" indeed! The cheek of it :evil:

:lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

dragonflame713
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:07 pm
Contact:

Post by dragonflame713 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:28 am

Bnielsen wrote:hey! language! lol...
Ok, the reference to the foul smell in that thread has been altered :lol:
Bnielsen wrote:I hear you though- I think our two reviews meant more to the people on p.e. than that thread did
Very true. I think there are quite a few that visit the site for the information that can be gained there. It is certainly a shame however when a small amount of people feel they have to speak with a loud tongue (or rather keyboard) to try and force their opinion down the everyone's throats.

User avatar
MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Posts: 2273
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 am
Contact:

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:50 am

Is anyone at all over there defending GH, or has it become a massacre? Do I want to know?
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

User avatar
SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard
Posts: 906
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Beal Feirste, Eire

Post by SuperTed » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:12 am

I have to say I'm enjoying the PE thread in a twisted sort of way! (Is it wrong of me? :oops: :lol:)

As with all these general forum sites the argument, such as it is, is swinging about like a screen door in a hurricane. Everyone's there, from "I love it" to "I hate it" and all points in-between. I think the thread's gone beyond the band to a general discussion of reviews sites and their perceived penchant for hyperbole.

As ever, there are some good points raised and a lot of people are sticking up for the album and GH in general but, as you know, this sort of confrontational thread draws out the mouthpieces and "look at me" types like flies round you-know-what :D

Maybe someone should start another PE thread that actually concentrates on the album? I would but I don't think I could be bothered with a lot of the denizens of that site and their verbal diahorria...

TIS will be around long, long after this topic has fallen off the radar so chin up, Steve!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Post Reply