ProgressiveEars Thread

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:15 am

Well, I said (tongue in cheek) "Can't sing, can't produce, can play the keyboards a little." I figured it worked for Fred Astaire...

There is somebody there called progchick who has been forwarding glowing reviews of the album. The thread has since degenerated into an argument over the validity of online reviews.

I am personally of the opinion that TIS runs a little bit of a risk of being over-hyped, and people might be put off by too many suspicious rave reviews. Part of the blame falls on Glass Hammer. One person complained that every new release was heralded as "The Best Glass Hammer album ever". You guys have to stop improving! :D

From my opint of view the problem was that there was one psychopath and one troll. There were a couple of people for who Glass Hammer just wasn't their thing, but when the Glass Hammer fans got annoyed at Mr Psych and Mr Troll, the moderate dislikers felt it was them who were being attacked and returned fire.

If you are prepared not to take things personally the argument is a little frustrating, but not the worst I've seen on the internet. If it was my baby they were discussing though I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Have I mentioned that I'm really enjoying the album? Ground and Sky will have a review up there in about a week, but I can't promise that it will be as enthusiastic as the Progressive World one. I don't write that way. I may have to use the word "classic" though. :D
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:01 pm

Okay - this is official so listen up. Feel free to quote me....

I am officially asking our fans and friends to post nothing further to the ProgressiveEars thread that is currently running around 180 posts. It has just become too strange. Please do not embroil yourselves on our behalf. There is nothing at all that any of you could say or do to turn that thread around. ProgressiveEars is no longer GH friendly for the most part, and you will most likely not be allowed to say anything remotely flattering about our music without being attacked or insulted.
We do what we do for the love of music, and this sort of nonsense goes a long way in removing much of the joy in doing it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:49 pm

And that's that! The thread has been removed apparently. Let's see if we can get it round to the music now...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:54 am

Hey,
My favorite complaint about IS (from someone who hadn't heard it) was the complaint about the title. He thought "The Inconsolable Secret" sounded like something a high school kid would have thought up - trying to appear clever.
Apparently things got so nasty around 5:00 or so yesterday that the moderator finally deleted the entire thing. I wish I knew what was said after Pete Pardo's post.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:32 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:Hey,
My favorite complaint about IS (from someone who hadn't heard it) was the complaint about the title. He thought "The Inconsolable Secret" sounded like something a high school kid would have thought up - trying to appear clever.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!" :lol:

Seriously Steve, you weren't missing a thing!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 am

MayorOfLongview wrote:Hey,
Apparently things got so nasty around 5:00 or so yesterday that the moderator finally deleted the entire thing. I wish I knew what was said after Pete Pardo's post.
Steve
It's gone to PM now, so you should be able to catch up if you want to torture yourself. The annoying thing is that people aren't paying attention to who's posting what and some silly generalisations are being made. There is however the admission that GH are at the top of the so called Neo-prog heap.

As for the complaint, it reminded me of an exchange from Yes Minister:

Bernard: Thank me no thankings.
Jim: Why must people make a mess of our language so? The language of Shakespeare!
Bernard: Err, that was Shakespeare Minister.

Oh, and because the PE thread has left a bitter taste in your mouth, can I just say thank you for the joy everybody who has worked on this project has given me as I have listened to this CD over the past couple of weeks. Indeed the angst shared by a dozen people on a bulletin board is far outweighed by pleasure I know this album has given to so many people. Viva l'Inconsolable.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:23 am

You know, I am so glad our forum is polite and nice in general. I don't think we'll ever have such extreme measures as deleting a thread! Crazy.

Yeah, Steve and Fred, ignore them. I will freely admit that I don't have much critical ability when it comes to music, that I don't know much about theory and that your overall genius is way above my head -- but I know that of all the music I have heard, or recall hearing, Glass Hammer's albums are some of the few pieces that leave me with that same feeling as finishing the Silmarillion or reliving the Fields of Cormallen in RotK. Heaven, When We Were Young, Behind the Great Beyond, Long and Long Ago, Having Caught a Glimpse, and others - there's something wide and deep and wonderful in your music that resonates the eternal. So don't let a few jerks who can't hear that get to you: you are doing amazing things here, on so many levels.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Samwise has got it.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:22 pm

I agree with Samwise...
- there's something wide and deep and wonderful in your music that resonates the eternal.
While not being a clinically depressed person I occaisionally suffer depression-like episodes. I discovered that listening to Glass Hammer's music can help lift me out of it. It lifts my mind and spirit to the deeper and eternal things. Nobody else I know produces music that is so good, beautiful and true!

Thanks, Steve, Fred and all of GH for all that you do!

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Samwise has got it.

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:I agree with Samwise...
- there's something wide and deep and wonderful in your music that resonates the eternal.
While not being a clinically depressed person I occaisionally suffer depression-like episodes. I discovered that listening to Glass Hammer's music can help lift me out of it. It lifts my mind and spirit to the deeper and eternal things. Nobody else I know produces music that is so good, beautiful and true!

Thanks, Steve, Fred and all of GH for all that you do!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you feel this way, and I've always hoped our music could operate like that. :) Sadly to others, it has the effect of throwing holy water on a vampire. Of course, I'm not opposed to that - I just never saw it coming. :twisted:

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Cool!! That's more than we could hope to do. That's certainly what we would WANT to do- I'm glad for some people we can!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Reepicheep
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Re: Samwise has got it.

Post by Reepicheep » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:03 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote: Sadly to others, it has the effect of throwing holy water on a vampire.
The next GH album should totally be called, "Holy Water On A Vampire".
Or, at the very least, have the phrase "Like holy water on a vampire" in it's description.
ha ha.
Buster:"Sister is my new mother, Mother..."