Gentle Armoured Giant

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Gentle Armoured Giant

Post by Alatar » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:58 am

I think we all heard the ELP keyboard licks and the Yes chords, but there is a point about eleven minutes into The Knight of the North which sounds an awful lot like Gentle Giant to me. This passage is followed by the words "How can stand against this armoured Giant, Giant, Giant".

So was this a deliberate link, or am I just imagining things?
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:43 pm

Deliberate- the only lyric request I made for the whole album was to get the word "giant" in there... I'm surprised no one has spotted it until now!!
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Geophysicist

A Musical Odyssey

Post by Geophysicist » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:51 pm

As long as we are looking for influences in TIS...

Call me crazy, but the beginning of "The Lady Waits" bears more than a passing resemblance to the Adagio from the Gayne Ballet Suite. When the choir comes in, I hear some Lux Aeterna and Atmospheres from Ligeti. But maybe I'm just hearing things...
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:56 pm

Wow, you people are all over it tonight!! My affection for 2001: aso is well known and when I started writing that piece it was mainly as an excercise in arranging strings and getting different colors. I wanted to start out with a solo violin part like the Adagio, and there is *almost* but not quite, a quote. And the end of the piece is Ligeti all the way.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:48 am

What can I say? We love your guys music- and we love having these forums to share it with you!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: A Musical Odyssey

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:35 am

Geophysicist wrote:As long as we are looking for influences in TIS...

Call me crazy, but the beginning of "The Lady Waits" bears more than a passing resemblance to the Adagio from the Gayne Ballet Suite. When the choir comes in, I hear some Lux Aeterna and Atmospheres from Ligeti. But maybe I'm just hearing things...
That's just what I was going to say! (cough) :oops:

Are violins those funy small guitars you play with a stick? If so then I can definitely hear some of those on Disc 2. Yessir! Yup! Okey Dokey!

I need to buy more music by old dead guys! You lot are just too darn educated :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 am

For those who don't know, Lux Aeterna is the music from the "trippy" part of "2001: A Space Odyssey". I caught the Lux Aeterna, but not the Gayne Ballet Suite (I don't think I've heard it). What really amazed me though was that this was a first effort at orchestration. Wow! I have to say it is a fine effort, beautifully balanced to my untrained ears.

Other references are the organ chords taken from Yes, and call me crazy but I think I detected some Keith Emerson. :D
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:14 am

I think it's actually music from the 3rd Gayne Suite- not sure. Anyway, that's the sad 2001 music during scenes set in Discovery, most noteably when Frank Poole is jogging around the centrifuge. It's really about a two measure bit that uses a similar sequence of notes. The end is fun just for trying to get those colors- it's fun to write, there are no notes save beginning and end notes and instrutctions: sing the note than you can't hear to one you can, slide slowly from this to this. It's a blast.

The Yes pipe organ is Steve's. The chords aren't the same but the rhythm is.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Musical Odyssey

Post by Sam Gamgee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:25 am

SuperTed wrote:I need to buy more music by old dead guys! You lot are just too darn educated :lol:
:oops: I'm with you, Ted!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Geophysicist

2001 influenced music

Post by Geophysicist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:02 pm

Hey Fred,
Anyone with affection for 2001 is OK in my book. I saw it at the Summit Theater in Detroit in 1967 in Cinerama. I was sitting in the front row and felt like the whole theater was moving. I actually saw it twice in Cinerama, but I lost count of the times I saw it in conventional theaters.

I loved your interpretation of Khatchaturian and Ligeti in 'The Lady Waits.' I'll repeat my impression of TIS (stolen from the brilliant Sam Karnick): Stunningly beautiful.

Keep that stuff coming!
(An old geologist's saw)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:39 pm

Wow, thanks!!

I saw 2001 in Cinemascope at the Warner in Pittsburgh somewhere around '72 (my memory is a little shaky). It definitely "warped my fragile little mind" *lol* I have seen it projected (as Tom Hanks, another huge 2001 fan likes to point out) about 5 times and I built a home theater larglely to see it projected at home at least fairly large. Rumor has it that it will be in the first wave of HD discs due out late this year or early next.

When they showed it a couple years ago (in 2001, natch) in the Seatlle Cineramadome I thought seriously about going but that would have been a little hardcore I guess. :D

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Wow, thanks!!

I saw 2001 in Cinemascope at the Warner in Pittsburgh somewhere around '72 (my memory is a little shaky). It definitely "warped my fragile little mind" *lol* I have seen it projected (as Tom Hanks, another huge 2001 fan likes to point out) about 5 times and I built a home theater larglely to see it projected at home at least fairly large. Rumor has it that it will be in the first wave of HD discs due out late this year or early next.

When they showed it a couple years ago (in 2001, natch) in the Seatlle Cineramadome I thought seriously about going but that would have been a little hardcore I guess. :D
Remember who hangs out on this forum, Fred. Me, who's flown halfway across the country--twice--to see Kansas play; several forum members who made the trip to NEARFest to see GH play, Ted who swears up and down he'll be flying across the Atlantic Pond to see GH play. Hardcore fans RULE. :D

Ever read "The Lost Worlds Of 2001"?
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:21 pm

johnc wrote:
Ever read "The Lost Worlds Of 2001"?
Huh, no- don't know of it. I've read just about every other 2001 book out there, my favorite being Jerome Agel's dully titled Making Of 2001: a space odyssey. (Note fanboy spelling using lower case letters :D :D)

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Lost Worlds, by A. C. Clarke, was published in '72. It mostly chronicles the writing of the novel, although there are many details of the filming of the movie. It also contains stories which could have been alternate scenes in the movie.

My copy fell victim to a flood in my residence back in '93; it's in three different pieces, but still quite readable.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Geophysicist

Non-euclidean Glass Hammer forum

Post by Geophysicist » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:14 pm

Catastrophic collapse situation indeed.

I'm over on another topic thinking about all of this 2001:aso stuff, and somebody brings up Ritchie Blackmore's latest band. That gets me thinking about my first Deep Purple album: The Book of Taliesyn. It had a unique version of the song River Deep, Mountain High, which started with Jon Lord's Hammond organ impression of Thus Spake Zarathustra... Wait a minute, I just left that topic...

Is this quantum tunneling? The discussion passes between topics without travelling through the intervening space... Maybe on this forum the Gentle Giant thread is in the same place as the Just a Thought thread. Just a thought.

This is a cool place.
(An old geologist's saw)