Just some Thoughts......

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Razors edge

Just some Thoughts......

Post by Razors edge » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:26 pm

I would like to give my opinion; first let me say, I will not review or critique this album. I will not analyze every nuance of this music, as enough have done so already. I will however, offer 2 words Brilliant and Majestic. I would also like to add some suggestions for absorbing this composition; first and foremost, READ the poem and lyrics for this is essential to get the full impact of the album. Secondly, after reading and listening the first time, burn one end to end for each subsequent listen and you will be transported on a musical journey that is,in a word, gorgeous. Lastly, I would like to thank Glass Hammer for sharing their wonderous talents with me, and providing me for many days to come with 98 minutes of musical and lyrical bliss. Susie has now become one of my top female vocalists along with Hope Sandoval and Candice Night. Once again, thank you Glass Hammer and God Bless all of you. Peace.
RazorsEdge--man of peace and love.

Geophysicist

some more thoughts

Post by Geophysicist » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:35 pm

Well said, Razor. BTW you've got great taste in music...

"Nice," "King Crimson", Barclay James Harvest and Genesis, Hendrix, Stevie Ray. Johnny Winter, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher and Clapton and Santana

I've got just about all of these on vinyl upstairs (and some CD, too). You don't hear much talk of Barclay James Harvest in the states, but they did some great stuff--I'm partial to "Dark Now My Sky" from the album where the band name was the title. You can probably guess how old I am...
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

Razors edge

What is a Geopyscist,exactly

Post by Razors edge » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:49 pm

I can't even spell the word right!!! No guessing games for me, I'm 50 going on 12. Anyway, that's what most of the women in my life say to me. I'm glad that you like some of the music I mentioned. BTW would you agree that some parts on disc2 of TIS sound somewhat like "Blackmore's Night"? GH is very unique in their sound,but Ritchie Blackmore and his gorgeous wife Candice popped into my head on a recent listen of TIS. Anyway, on this forum I'm considered a "Newbie" I hope that's not to say I don't know music, I'm sure it's not. Keep that GRIN on, man. Peace. BTW, my sex-ed teacher's name was Mr. Beaver. Go figure!!

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Re: What is a Geopyscist,exactly

Post by SuperTed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:01 am

Razors edge wrote:BTW, my sex-ed teacher's name was Mr. Beaver. Go figure!!
What was his first name? Seymore, perhaps?

<TAXI FOR A MR. TED!!> :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Razors edge

I'm tracking

Post by Razors edge » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:33 am

Actually, that's a very good ? I don't know about you, but when I was a kid in the early60's our elders were referred to as mr. and mrs. You have given me the impetus to go tracking, August and September are the best times(really every month is) because the weather is warmer and that seems to encourage the beaver to come out.

Fred

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:04 am

I recieved TIS from amazon on tuesdayJuly26. I listen to it prior to bed and first thing in the morning. IMO, Fred Shendel is quite possibly the best keyboard/musician alive today. His playing has moved me unlike anything in recent years. Absolutely Beautiful!!! I don't know how you will top this, but I can't wait already for the next album. Steve, great writing and bass playing. I think I hear some Jaco Pastorius along with Chris Squire. Susie, my fair maiden, your voice is like silk and I have had to catch my breath while listening to your angelic voice. I don't mean to gush so, but WHOA what a composition.

Geophysicist

Geophysicist

Post by Geophysicist » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi Razor. Blackmore's Night... I think you have something there. I haven't heard much of his latest band, but I can see how you would make the connection.

This geophysicist works with 3-dimensional seismic data (like a 3D CAT scan of the earth). I spend the day looking at the 3 21-inch Sony heads on my Sun Blade 2000, mapping surfaces deep in the earth and making sweet color displays.

The women in my life don't exactly say I'm 50 going on 12, but they do comment on my 'youthful outlook' on things. As one newbie here to another, it sure looks like you know your music.
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:43 pm

I don't think Steve or I have either one actually heard Blackmore's Night (theres some good grammer for ya) but obviously they would have the same sort of medeival influences- I can imagine what they probably sound like. I've been meaning to buy some; I'm sure I would like it.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:42 pm

I've glommed some Blackmore's Night songs off of Net radio. Acoustic-folk-flavored songs with an occasional screaming lead guitar, is how I remember it. I dig it.

OK, as for my thoughts on TIS. I don't do reviews or critiques. I don't know how. I do know what I like. And I have greatly enjoyed this album so far. Everyone who performed on the album is to be commended for their skills and dedication, and Steve and Fred are to be commended for bringing the music into existence.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 pm

johnc wrote:I've glommed some Blackmore's Night songs off of Net radio. Acoustic-folk-flavored songs with an occasional screaming lead guitar, is how I remember it. I dig it.

OK, as for my thoughts on TIS. I don't do reviews or critiques. I don't know how. I do know what I like. And I have greatly enjoyed this album so far. Everyone who performed on the album is to be commended for their skills and dedication, and Steve and Fred are to be commended for bringing the music into existence.
I stand commended :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:19 pm

johnc wrote:I've glommed some Blackmore's Night songs off of Net radio. Acoustic-folk-flavored songs with an occasional screaming lead guitar, is how I remember it. I dig it.
Ah, I didn't know it was electric at all. I thought Ritchie was into straight up acoustic medeival music these days.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

man of peace and love

Ritchie Blackmore' Night

Post by man of peace and love » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:06 pm

Fred and Steve, as I'm sure you know Blackmore was the guitarist for Deep Purple and Rainbow. Blackmore was and is a good player, but I never considered him in the same league as Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Ray, Buchanan etc... I love the electric blues players. Because I am fascinated with the medevial centuries, I purchased "Beyond the Sunset." This is a an album of "Love" songs culled from their previous releases.( music to show women my sensitive side) Ritchie's playing is beautiful and primarily acoustic, although with some heavier electric passages. Candice, his wife(what a lucky man) sings lead vocals in a ethereal,angelic voice. Unique and gorgeous, compared to basic popular music of today. More specifically, on TIS Lirazel, The High Place and Morrigan's song brought to mind Blackmore's Night during that section of disc2. Great music to sit by a glowing fire with that special lady. I believe in 20 yrs or so TIS will be considered and absolute masterpiece, as for me it already has become one. I think I'll just glue my cd player shut with TIS inside. God Bless.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:24 pm

That sounds like something I'd love to check out!
...although I probably should be blowing less money on music... :? :( Hmmm... Do they have a sample of any of their albums somewhere?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:29 pm

I can imagine that Laura Lindstrom (Morrigan's Song) sounds much like Candice. In fact, I think I've heard them compared before. 8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Funny how life goes sometimes. I was yesterday wisiting a concert of Blackmoores Night in Hamburg. Blackmoores Night usually only play castles and burgs (?) I´ve been a fan of their music since 1997. Even my wife likes them. They play mostly acoustic medival music but lately they have added a lot of electric in their music they even did a couple of Deep Purple songs like Child In Time. With women vocal and acoustic guitar it still sounds epical. Well to compare GH with Blackmoores Night is hard maybe the Middle Earth Album comes close even Morrigan´s Song goes in that direction. If you want to buy a Cd then start of with Ghost Of A Rose as it has songs from every art they play. Their electrical but allso acoustic. But don´t expect to hear anything like Deep Purple. Only in concerts you can hear that Richie used to play there. The concert was one of the best I´ve been to this year.
The world is smaller than you think!