New Review from Dutch Progressive Rock Page

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Geophysicist

New Review from Dutch Progressive Rock Page

Post by Geophysicist » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:49 pm

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200539.html

The reviewer is quite aware of the flame wars going on over TIS. His review is very positive, although he seems to be little timid lest the Glass Hammer haters flame him, too. Nine out of ten is the bottom line.

Some excerpts:

I can’t quite bring myself to say that this is a masterpiece, but in the first disc and the opening and closing numbers on disc two, Glass Hammer have achieved their strongest work to date, and the rest of the album shows they are not afraid to move out of the comfort zone, though on this occasion I feel that the work may have been engaging and entertaining enough without this stylistic shift.

With Roger Dean desktop art, full lyrics, brief “Making of...” style videos and the full text of the poem all included as computer extras, this is a stylish and attractive package, which must surely be The symphonic album of the year. A must purchase for all Yes, ELP and, of course, Glass Hammer fans.
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:47 pm

It begins with - I’m almost afraid to begin this review, and ends with a 9 our of 10. I'd say he overcame his fears.

Just so you'll all know - some reviewers and review sites are now getting some very angry mail for giving us positive reviews. I'm sickened to know that supporting GH publicly may mean recieving intimidating emails from the 'anti-GH' crowd. Its really happening.
If you see a good GH review, be sure to let the reviewer and the site know that you appreciate them.

Thanks for posting this one!
Steve
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Geophysicist

Reviewers in Danger

Post by Geophysicist » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:50 pm

Mr. Mayor:
I couldn't agree more. I sent the reviewer an encouraging note, because I appreciated his willingness to stand his ground despite all the shrapnel he's likely to see.
Geophysicist
(An old geologist's saw)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:47 am

!raises hand
I've gotten a few for my review...
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:52 am

Bnielsen wrote:!raises hand
I've gotten a few for my review...
You've gotten some negative email?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:41 am

two, to be precise... wasnt threatening or anything... just criticisms of my review, and the band as a whole...

Hey, GH is how much more visable now because of all this ruckus?

The old saying of "theres no such thing as bad publicity" sorta applies..

the people that are railing against you... they dont like you guys, and probably wont ever.

People hear of the discussions and such, and most proggers already know some of you guys, and if not, they more often than not will at least get both sides of the story, and listen to some of your work first.
Brian Nielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:15 am

Well, its still a little disturbing to know that a lot of the reviewers are taking flak for us. Would it make you think twice about how you review the next album? If you knew you had to put up with trolls and intimidation - would you be so flattering of a GH release? 8)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:19 am

I have no reservations in saying that I love you guys, your music, and your works.

But I would be honest too- If i had a problem with something, I would say it, not be like "oh well this might make them look bad" in my review.

I made my review as fair and balanced as I could
Brian Nielsen

buckdharma

Post by buckdharma » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:57 pm

As an officer of the law, I for one will happily incarcerate all GH flamers/haters, and lobby parliament to pass a law to put them in a burlap sack and hit them with reeds. To quote one N. Peart, esq.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance, and prejudice
And fear
Go hand in hand.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:01 pm

buckdharma wrote:As an officer of the law, I for one will happily incarcerate all GH flamers/haters, and lobby parliament to pass a law to put them in a burlap sack and hit them with reeds. To quote one N. Peart, esq.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance, and prejudice
And fear
Go hand in hand.
You're hired!

Geophysicist

Reviewers in Danger

Post by Geophysicist » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Its really sad when reviewers are looking over their shoulders when they write. Ultimately it will keep us from getting the vital information that we need to expand our music collections.

BTW, the DPRP reviewer wrote that he had been flamed by a GH fan who thought the review was too negative. Sad indeed. If you take the time to read other reviews on the site, it really was quite flattering. If you go to their index of reviews, you see that every GH album (I guess I should say CD...) they have reviewed is DPRP Recommended. That is rare indeed.

I think buck has the right perspective. I'm glad that this community is a friendly (and quite informative) one. It makes a great contrast to the bitterness, jealousy and hate on some of the other forums.
(An old geologist's saw)

Razors edge

A Sad World

Post by Razors edge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:36 pm

I find it appalling that people would verbally attack others for their opinions and feelings about music. Sadly, this is a reflection of the world in which we live. We occupy a dark,disturbed and angry planet. GH's music has pulled the depression dogs from my door, and for that I am eternally grateful. When people are asked about their future most think in small terms, 5-10-15 years. I challenge you to look towards the eternal. Where will you be for all eternity? I will be in the land of peace and love, where GH's music will be played abundtantly and more beautifully than on this sphere of existance.
RazorsEdge--man of peace and love.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:15 pm

Well, I for one think you all smell like poo! (Nyah!) :twisted:

Must...resist...evil...typing...fingers...AARRGGGG... :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Geophysicist

Sad world

Post by Geophysicist » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:15 pm

Razor,
I have to agree with your observations. Its amazing that a thing of beauty can drive some people to attack those that draw enjoyment from it.

Ted,
That was absolutely brutal. I take back what I said about this being a nice place. :twisted:
(An old geologist's saw)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 pm

You know the thing that really burns my butt is that prog has regularly taken such a beating historically from the mainstream, calling it pretentious twaddle and musical mastur-you-know-what, and casting aspersions on all who enjoy it, therefore you would THINK that fans might be a little more open minded (another phrase that gets tossed around in a rather cavalier fashion). Wouldn't it be much simpler for everyone to admit that some music floats their boat and other music doesn't and be civil. It's like a kid that always gets beat up at school finding the internet and just being able to finally dump on someone else for a change.

Can't we all just get along?? :D :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]