All-Time Best

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Razors edge

All-Time Best

Post by Razors edge » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:17 am

About a week ago I was on Prog-Archives and reading some polls. One in particular which caught my eye was the "5Best keyboard players. Out of about 35 posts Fred Shendel's name was never mentioned( or I just didn't see it) Now, I have a background in musical theory and can read music. Before my injury I studied and played Jazz and Classical. I'm sure on this site a "best of" list has been comprised. If I may, I would like to add my 5 best of; 1-Bill Evans,2-Chic Corea, 3-Ahmaad Jammal,4-Fred Shendel,5-Keith Emerson. Fred is a magnificent player in every way, how he was not included befuddles me. Bill Evans has been the major influence in my musical life. Once again, a subjective opinion. Follow up with ratings and comments. Thanks.
RazorsEdge--man of peace and love.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:33 am

They have to keep spraying down the case of the hammond and moogs when fred plays them too long, he's on FIRE! =)
er, seriously- I love sitting down at they keys and playing some GH. Some of it is just wicked hard, especially the chromatic paorts
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Well, thanks very much!

Honestly, I just don't have enough hours in the day to practice to where I would be back at a technical level like Chic, Bill E. or Emo. Those guys are on another level. So in a real contest of BEST players taken literally it doesn't hurt my feelings not to rank. Now as far as most enjoyable players I'll happily take my place alongside guys like John Evans and Eddie Jobson if people want me to *lol*
I'm just happy that people appreciate the albums as a whole and I don't feel the need to be singled out as a great player of some kind. Of course, if it happens though it's very appreciated :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Geophysicist

water cooled hammond and moogs

Post by Geophysicist » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:37 pm

Fred,
Just keep cooling the hardware. I'm not a musician, so I won't get into any argument about technical rankings. GH is putting out some of the best music I've heard in years. I'll be there waiting as every CD and DVD (especially the upcoming Inconsolable Secret DVD) come out. And there sure is more to the music than the technical.

Eddie Jobson... Makes me think of Curved Air in the Sonja Kristina era, say about Air Cut time...
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)

Razors edge

Post by Razors edge » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:47 pm

Geo and Fred, Geo you are absolutely right, Fred you seem to be not just an excellent musician,but a good human. Modesty is a tremendous virtue.Maybe I wasn't specific enough, I was just curious as to what Prog Keyboard players GH fans appreciated.BTW,Fred my buddy just called after listening to TIS for the first time and wants me to come over and peel him off the wall. I quote, "What a spectacular album." I said, "with repeated listens,my friend absolute musical beauty will be revealed."Thanks again GH.
RazorsEdge--man of peace and love.

Geophysicist

Keyboards

Post by Geophysicist » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:45 pm

Razor,
Again, not being a musician, I won't make a nuanced list. I have enjoyed Chick Corea with RTF and solo; Emo in any form; Wakeman and Moraz via Yes and solo work; Vangelis; and I'm oficially adding Schendel to the list.

Others I have enjoyed, in no particular order, and often for very different reasons: Jeff Johnson, Keith Jarrett, Carla Bley, Larry Fast. My encounters with the jazz keyboardists were often accidental as my interest was focused on the proggers. It would have been nice to have an internet back then. I can see I have a lot of keyboard players to catch up on...
If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it.
(An old geologist's saw)