Walter not on guitar?

A Giant-Sized Epic

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Ulmo

Walter not on guitar?

Post by Ulmo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:06 pm

Just got my copy last week and have listened a few times. Sorry, but it's taking a few listens to warm up to. GH is fairly new to me...just heard Lex Rex (and LOVED IT!) about a month ago. I'm having a bit of a time getting past all the orchestration on TIS. Was expecting more synth and organ. Don't get me wrong, I love a symphony but when I buy a Prog CD I expect more synth and Hammond than strings. I also recently bought the Lex Live DVD. Why isn't Walter's guitar talents included on the new CD? From what I could tell from Lex Live, Walter's a pretty decent guitar player. Fred (or whoever did the majority of the guitar work) is an adequate guitar player but IMO the guitar work is about the weakest part of TIS. And making Matt a full time member was definitely a good move. Gotta have a strong drummer. I'm sure after a few more listens I'll get into TIS more and love it as much as Lex. In the meantime, I'm going to get Chronometree and Perelandra.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:30 pm

Of course there is much more guitar on Chronometree, and it features Arjen Lucasen (sp?).
Walter lives some distance from the studio, and we got him here for the vocals, but he didn't have time to help out on guitar. We'd love to have more guitar on future projects though.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Ulmo

Post by Ulmo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks for the reply, Steve. After posting this I read the interview on progressiveworld.net and got my answer. And read your remarks about (metal) guitar in prog. Wish I would have seen this before posting my question. Just curious, in addition to being geographically distant, is Walter in another band so isn't able to devote more time to GH projects? Just seems he could add more on guitar instead of just his vocal contributions (which is great, BTW). And maybe, as you said, you just wanted this to be a more keyboard/orchestral oriented piece?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:28 am

Walter plays in 2 or 3 bands at any given time. We would have liked some more guitar, but we wouldn't have added much. We like the edge live, and you'll hear it on the new material that we're doing live - if that is released. But we're pretty happy with it just the way it is - the studio version I mean.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart