Awesomeness

The story of Ariana and the Sculptor

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Awesomeness

Post by Japes » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:18 pm

I hereby give all Glass Hammer fans official permission to disregard my opinions of music, because they are due to change at any moment. After saying this (and soon after posting my regards to the awesomeness of The Middle Earth Album) I will state my thoughts on On to Evermore. I'm finally giving it the listens it deserves, and it is absolutely amazing! The Conflict is now on my list of favorite songs ever! While the next time I listen to another GH album, this may change to whatever I'm listening to, I just wanted to say that you guys seem to have always been awesome!
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Awesomeness

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Japes wrote:I hereby give all Glass Hammer fans official permission to disregard my opinions of music, because they are due to change at any moment. After saying this (and soon after posting my regards to the awesomeness of The Middle Earth Album) I will state my thoughts on On to Evermore. I'm finally giving it the listens it deserves, and it is absolutely amazing! The Conflict is now on my list of favorite songs ever! While the next time I listen to another GH album, this may change to whatever I'm listening to, I just wanted to say that you guys seem to have always been awesome!
Awesome yes! But humble, ...not so much...
::::bows:::::
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Don't worry. It is a normal effect of being confronted with the Multiplicity of So Much Awesomeness. I can't make up my mind either. But that's the wonderful thing about life, and the coolest bands in it - there are so many different colors of AWESOME!
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:Don't worry. It is a normal effect of being confronted with the Multiplicity of So Much Awesomeness. I can't make up my mind either. But that's the wonderful thing about life, and the coolest bands in it - there are so many different colors of AWESOME!
Well said. Especially since I'm giving some more listens to Lex Rex now...
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 am

Yeah, but apparently Fred leaves the toilet seat up and Steve leaves dirty dishes in the sink so, y'know, swings and roundabouts...

:P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 pm

It always warms my heart when someone else on here gets a chance to listen and loves On To Evermore or Perelandra!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Bnielsen wrote:It always warms my heart when someone else on here gets a chance to listen and loves On To Evermore or Perelandra!
Is Perelandra based off the book? If so, should I give it a read?

Also, is On to Evermore's story original, or is it based off something? If it IS based off something, what?

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Japes wrote: Is Perelandra based off the book? If so, should I give it a read?
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Hit the wrong button... try again...

Perelandra is not based on the book (unless it is extremely loosely), but the book is a wonderful, profound read. Of course, Perelandra is an even better read if you read Out of the Silent Planet first. Out of the Silent Planet is a science fiction story that starts in WWII England, like Narnia. In many ways, like Narnia for adults.

If you decide you want to read That Hideous Strength after completing the first two books, I would recommend starting an argument about it on this forum before you dive in. From the responses you elicit, you will be able to decide if you want to complete the trilogy. It is also profound, but very different than the other two.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester
Amateur
Amateur

Post by TheMarsh-WiggleQuester » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Japes wrote:
Bnielsen wrote:It always warms my heart when someone else on here gets a chance to listen and loves On To Evermore or Perelandra!

Also, is On to Evermore's story original, or is it based off something? If it IS based off something, what?
I've always remembered of Yes' "Turn of the century" when thinking about the theme of OtE. That's an album I really love too, specially for the intro in "Mayor of Longview"...it's absurdly simple compared to the rest of GH work but...it took my attention....

And I really dig the "cat sounds" and other animal sounds on the track too...really helps to "draw the picture"..."The Conflit" is also suberb, I never get tired in any point of the song.

I kinda love the little bizarreness of the album, and the font type gives a little Tim Burton-esque air to the artwork....IMHO, but don't do the same to the music... :P

I usually skip the first track but, sometimes I listen to it, when I'm in the right mood.
[i]"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."[/i]
[b]C. S. Lewis[/b]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 pm

TheMarsh-WiggleQuester wrote:
Japes wrote:

I've always remembered of Yes' "Turn of the century" when thinking about the theme of OtE. That's an album I really love too, specially for the intro in "Mayor of Longview"...it's absurdly simple compared to the rest of GH work but...it took my attention....

And I really dig the "cat sounds" and other animal sounds on the track too...really helps to "draw the picture"..."The Conflit" is also suberb, I never get tired in any point of the song.

I kinda love the little bizarreness of the album, and the font type gives a little Tim Burton-esque air to the artwork....IMHO, but don't do the same to the music... :P

I usually skip the first track but, sometimes I listen to it, when I'm in the right mood.
I really love the atmosphere of the intro track.

And, regarding the cat sounds, all I can think of when I listen to that song is the Cat Sounds version of Jingle Bells... lol :D

aswas

Post by aswas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:40 am

Hello,

This is my first post. I have all the GH material to date. It was ironic the other day, that I pulled the older CD's out the other day, after having not a splendid day. I fell in love with "On To Evermore" all over again. While concentrating on listening to newer CDs, I forgot what a wonderful Cd it is. There is a lot of experimentation, and so much emotion. Steve and Fred are the ultimate Pros in composing, producing and playing.
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 pm

aswas wrote:Hello,

This is my first post. I have all the GH material to date. It was ironic the other day, that I pulled the older CD's out the other day, after having not a splendid day. I fell in love with "On To Evermore" all over again. While concentrating on listening to newer CDs, I forgot what a wonderful Cd it is. There is a lot of experimentation, and so much emotion. Steve and Fred are the ultimate Pros in composing, producing and playing.
Welcome to the forum! I haven't heard OTE in a loooong while.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Welcome aboard! So where do you come from? When did you start listening?

Evermore is great. Every time I listen to it I'm impressed with how awesome it is. Even if i'm prepared to be impressed I'm still impressed. That is why GH is so awesome. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:
aswas wrote:Hello,

Welcome to the forum! I haven't heard OTE in a loooong while.
Steve
Well maybe you should change that! :)