On To Evermore

The story of Ariana and the Sculptor

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

At what point did you realize OTE was a continuation of Perelanda?

first listen
33%
second listen
No votes
10th listen
No votes
100th listen
No votes
1000th listen
No votes
I never have, but I still love the album :)
67%

Total votes: 3

punx
Amateur
Amateur

On To Evermore

Post by punx » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:56 am

Since even Steve had to admit in TMOAGHA that OTE, although a continuation of the tale of Perelandra, confused a lot of people, I was just wondering.

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:25 pm

Well I read the notes next to the lyrics pretty much right away, and kind of figured it out there was some kind of relation between the two then, but I have never understood it. I thought when I finally read the space trilogy it would make sense, but it made even less sense then. That's when Steve had to remind me that it was not really supposed to be a coherent plot, and it was very *loosely* tied together. Then I sort of understood. But still not really. I mean, what does Perelandra have to do with Evermore, and how did we get from Venus in a perfect creation to Evermore in a flawed one, and who the heck is this mayor guy, and all that other stuff. When there's some basic outline with details contradicting, I get so confused. That's why I don't take so well to chemistry - it doesn't make any sense. But that's ok. Lex Rex has plot and music, which greatly consoles me.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

punx
Amateur
Amateur

Post by punx » Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:11 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote: Well I read the notes next to the lyrics pretty much right away, and kind of figured it out there was some kind of relation between the two then, but I have never understood it. I thought when I finally read the space trilogy it would make sense, but it made even less sense then. That's when Steve had to remind me that it was not really supposed to be a coherent plot, and it was very *loosely* tied together. Then I sort of understood. But still not really. I mean, what does Perelandra have to do with Evermore, and how did we get from Venus in a perfect creation to Evermore in a flawed one, and who the heck is this mayor guy, and all that other stuff. When there's some basic outline with details contradicting, I get so confused. That's why I don't take so well to chemistry - it doesn't make any sense. But that's ok. Lex Rex has plot and music, which greatly consoles me.

I read the notes as well, and yes, I realize there is a connection, but I can't say for sure I ever made the real connection. But as I said, and my vote counts (Shame, Sam, that you didn't vote :) ), I still love the album, so feh! :lol:

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:10 pm

I ddin't vote because my answer was an elven one: both yes and no. (like that Fingy?) I kind of knew pretty much right away, but I still don't really know. But yes, I agree, the album rocks. :)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:21 am

I've been trying to make out the words in "Muse" and "Arianna" that aren't included in the CD booklet. Specifically, the spoken words in "Muse". I think I hear the following:

"A dream, a form, a creature
Night falling from (unclear)
And spent into some sticks and mud and lead
No eye from heaven can penetrate
An angel brush wanderer
Who craves to look upon deformity
The vast nightmare's gulf to try
A seer struggling with the waves
And battling anguish, fears, and stark
(unclear) gigantic whirlpools
here in the dark

(tapping)

A squealer struggling with the waves
And battling anguish, fears, and stark"

And in "Arianna," between the words "life from the rock shall now break free" and "and as the last arcane words are chanted," I hear the following. It is understandable except for the first two lines.

"And love
mix in
life from
the stone
will walk
will talk
shall speak
shall seek
break free
break free
heart beats
heart beats
Arianna
see now
feel now
Arianna
wake now
rise now
Arianna!"

Can anyone confirm? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

johnc

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:11 am

The first part you site is actually from a poem by Baudelaire. (If my memory serves). I'm not sure that the second part was ever written down. But you're close on both of them.
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:16 am

johnc wrote:I've been trying to make out the words in "Muse" and "Arianna" that aren't included in the CD booklet. Specifically, the spoken words in "Muse". I think I hear the following:

"A dream, a form, a creature
late falling from (unclear)???
And sent into some styx of mud and lead
No eye from heaven can penetrate
An angel, rash wanderer
Who craves to look upon deformity
The vast nightmare's gulf to try
A seer struggling with the waves
And battling anguish, fears, and stark
(unclear) gigantic whirlpools
pirouetting(sp)?? in the dark

(tapping)

A swimmer struggling with the waves
And battling anguish, fears, and stark"

And in "Arianna," between the words "life from the rock shall now break free" and "and as the last arcane words are chanted," I hear the following. It is understandable except for the first two lines.

"And love
mix in

thats wrong, but i'm not listening to it right now and i can't remember!

life from
the stone
will walk
will talk
shall speak
shall seek
break free
break free
heart beats
heart beats
Arianna
see now
feel now
Arianna
wake now
rise now
Arianna!"

Can anyone confirm? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

johnc
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:26 pm

You da man. :D Thanks.

johnc

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:52 pm

Earlier today, I took a spin through "On To Evermore." I'd spent about two months away from the CD; it was like seeing an old friend again after a long absence. And who should I come across later this same day, but someone named Arianna!! Howzat grab ya? Showed her the CD booklet, then opened it up to the center page, with the song-name "Arianna" stretching clear across both pages. She darn near freaked. :lol: And next thing I know I'm writing down "www.glasshammer.com" on a scrap sheet of paper for her.

Another sale may be on the way, fellas. hehe

johnc