On to Evermore

The story of Ariana and the Sculptor

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

On to Evermore

Post by Octavian » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:20 am

Why put OtE in the 'other albums' category! :)

Its a winner, nearly my favourite of the GH ouvre.

To me Perelendra is the last of the 'other' albums. OtE was a step up in terms of production, vocals, song writing and general maturity. Perelendra sounds like 'another-prog-album-from-another-prog-band', whereas Evermore has that 'sit-up-and-pay-attention-because-this-is-seriously-good' factor.

Hmm. My hyphen key is starting to stick.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:31 am

Sam (r) - do you own lex rex, gh live, or shadowlands?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:00 pm

I tend to not listen to Perelandra as much either. But you have to realize that this is the album that has Heaven. Heaven is to GH what Awaken is to Yes. As a Going For the One fan, you must hear some similarities between them, with all the majesty, big sweeping sound...
Only I like Heaven way better. :) Awaken's granduer seems more cold and distant somehow - like it's behind a rippled glass wall, while Heaven's is more warm, real, and present. Something like that, if it made any sense.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:51 am

Hi,

I have Pere, Evermore, Chron, Lex, Shadow, Nearfest, plus the mp3s of other albums.

To me, Evermore,Chron, Lex and Shadow are all pretty similar in quality, but I shade Evermore and Chron over Lex and that over Shadow.

Sometime I'll be very happy to go into details, I like yapping about good music.

Awaken is my favourite piece of music. I don't see Heaven is the same kind of piece at all, though I agree that Awaken is quite cold, regal and majestic whilst Heaven is passionate.

I'll give it another listen later today, see if you can change my mind :)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:13 pm

Sam Roads wrote:Hi,

Awaken is my favourite piece of music.

On that we agree. I think it the finest song ever written :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:00 am

Turn of the Century gives Awaken a run for its money. Was it an inspiration for Arianna? (which is perhaps my fave GH track)

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:28 pm

Awaken is the pinnacle of Yes' musical career IMHO although, as I think I've said before and to my eternal shame, it took me a while to "get it". But it was definitely worth the effort!

For me, the version of Heaven on Perelandra isn't even my favourite track on that album. Time Marches On and The Way to Her Heart are corkers on that score. I also agree with Sam R that Perelandra is a transitional album and, for me, GH arrive with OtE and have gone from strength to strength ever since.

HOWEVER...live, Heaven is another kettle of fish. I think its arrival on the DVD is the highlight of the show. I'd love to hear the complete track live or even reworked in the studio as I think the band have moved on to a place where it would sound even more magnificenter (he says, making up words :) )
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:38 am

Fred has actually mentioned the idea of revisiting some old GH songs with a new approach and new equipment. We're actually adding ALOT of new gear and toys for the new album. We have SO much on our plate for this year. I'm not sure if there will be time. We're hoping for a double studio album, + a few bonus tracks for ITunes. Its a lot of work!
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

I hope you revisit them the way you redid 'No Way to Her Heart'. I like everything about the new version over the old. Which album were you working on when you did the new NWTHH?

I don't suppose there's any chance of a GH reworking of Awaken, is there?

:D :D :D

Come on GH lovers - if enough of us ask, might it not happen?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:46 pm

Sam Roads wrote:I hope you revisit them the way you redid 'No Way to Her Heart'. I like everything about the new version over the old. Which album were you working on when you did the new NWTHH?

I don't suppose there's any chance of a GH reworking of Awaken, is there?

Come on GH lovers - if enough of us ask, might it not happen?

1. Uh - On To Evermore as I recall. And yes, I like it too.
2. That's called "Heaven", and "When We Were Young"! lol
Steve

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:05 pm

quick question to Fred or Steve: did you guys redo the cd booklet for On to Evermore? I notice that on the copy I just bought, the notes mention later Glass Hammer albums. I'm just curious how the original booklet differed? More artwork or lyrics perhaps?

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:04 pm

theHermit wrote:quick question to Fred or Steve: did you guys redo the cd booklet for On to Evermore? I notice that on the copy I just bought, the notes mention later Glass Hammer albums. I'm just curious how the original booklet differed? More artwork or lyrics perhaps?

Yep, there were complete lyrics and a storyline. No additional art though. The policy has been that after several reprints, we reduce the booklet to just the necessary info. We'll eventually put the lyrics up on our site. For now, they're available over on GHfan.net.
Steve

theHermit
Professional
Professional

Post by theHermit » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Excellent.

Thanks Steve.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:32 am

Hmmm... I just listened to all of "On To Evermore" the album---

I gotta say, I think this becomes my 3rd favorite GH album EVER (after Live at NF and Lex Rex or course lol)

The chord progressions, the intstruments... wow

Fav tracks so far, On to Evermore, This Fading Age, Junkyard Angel

SO COOL! =)

Must listen more :twisted:
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:05 am

Can we form a petition for it to get its own forum subcategory?

:D