The story of Ariana and the Sculptor

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Junkyard Angel

Post by Octavian » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:48 pm

Steve or Fred:

In the solos section, after the brilliant keyboard widdles and before the chunky guitar solo, there's a sublime passage of harmony from a variety of instruments (presumably including the widdly keyboard and the guitar).

Is there a third or fourth harmony line in there? Who played what, how did you decide to do it, and did you think it sounded exceptionally cool once you'd finished? ;)

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:35 pm

^bump
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:46 am

Not exactly sure where you mean- give me times and I'll tell you!! :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:39 am

Its at 7:21 that you use that awesomely awesome keyboard sound. Please pretty please use it more.

At 7:51 the guitar joins in for the sumptuous bending harmonies, its a spine tingling moment.

All too soon at 8:08 the guitar begins a good bit of shredding before what in my opinion is a relatively weak fadeout ending.

Don't forget my clock uses British time, which is generally a bit slower than US time. ;)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:31 am

Ah, OK. The first bit is me playing a guitar sample on keyboard. The next is me and Walter (he had already done the guitar solo so I harmonized what he played) and then it's just him to the end. I just tend to stay away from the fake guitar keyboard sound because it's often redundant next to a real guitar!! :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:07 pm

Octavian wrote:Don't forget my clock uses British time, which is generally a bit slower than US time. ;)
Say, what now?

=/ That and your surgeons go out for lunch and a pint at the pub while their patient lies on the table under anesthetic...
Brian Nielsen

Octavian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Octavian » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:22 am

FredProgGH wrote:Ah, OK. The first bit is me playing a guitar sample on keyboard. The next is me and Walter (he had already done the guitar solo so I harmonized what he played) and then it's just him to the end. I just tend to stay away from the fake guitar keyboard sound because it's often redundant next to a real guitar!! :D
NoooooOOOoOOOoOOOO!!!!

It sounds great. I *love* it. There are similar sounds from Talk Talk's keyboards on 'the Colour of Spring' and Derek Sherinian in Dream Theater's Infinity album.

Many jazz icons have commented about how they attempt to make their instrument sound like another (eg saxophone sounding like a guitar, guitar sounding like a voice, voice sounding like a saxophone).

Classical composers have 'shown off' by tricking the ear with the sounds it hears (most delicately on Vaughan William's Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, where a string quartet sounds like a church organ).

Pleeeeeeease use it again.

Please?

?

:bunny:

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:07 pm

FredProgGH wrote:Ah, OK. The first bit is me playing a guitar sample on keyboard. The next is me and Walter (he had already done the guitar solo so I harmonized what he played) and then it's just him to the end. I just tend to stay away from the fake guitar keyboard sound because it's often redundant next to a real guitar!! :D
NJo kidding- i just made a reply on the other topic in this section on the same thing lol oops

no kidding- thats keys first before the harmony part- NICE job of emulation sir fred! =) SWEEET :guitar:
Brian Nielsen

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 pm

Bnielsen wrote:=/ That and your surgeons go out for lunch and a pint at the pub while their patient lies on the table under anesthetic...
You've been reading "Red Rabbit" again, haven't you? :P
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:06 pm

johnc wrote:
Bnielsen wrote:=/ That and your surgeons go out for lunch and a pint at the pub while their patient lies on the table under anesthetic...
You've been reading "Red Rabbit" again, haven't you? :P
D'oh! Totally busted! :roll:
Brian Nielsen

alien2112
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by alien2112 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:39 am

Octavian wrote:Many jazz icons have commented about how they attempt to make their instrument sound like another (eg saxophone sounding like a guitar, guitar sounding like a voice, voice sounding like a saxophone).
. . . saxaphone sounding like a telephone, telephone sounding like a radio . . .

Sorry. It's really early and I just thought it sounded funny. :P No offense, right?

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:01 am

^ gah, no more date/florist spam?
Brian Nielsen