Amazing Show!

November 2005 - Belmont University

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:13 pm

Hello, Everybody!

Hello, Dr. Ed (or Ted, or Eddddddddddd)!!

Well, here we are back home. I'm completely cream crackered but very happy nonetheless. Cool week all round. It was great to meet everyone face to face.

Brian - next time, wear some hiking boots 'cos we just love to walk! :wink:

Sam, Veni, Rumpska - thanks for the ride back from Flo's gig (you can ignore this bit, Brian *cough*)

Buck - cool jacket! "Say hello to my leetle friend..."

To all the GH guys, thanks a million!! A great, great show that was set up perfectly by Salem Hill. I've read the comments above but it was what it was, warts and all, and in some ways all the better for it (except for the Mayor who was flawless :roll: :lol: ). At points the gig veered into almost prog metal territory. David played a blinder as we say (that's a good thing BTW) and Steve's delivery at times was positively vicious!

OK, so it wasn't note-perfect next to the albums but even a musical no-hoper like me can appreciate the intricacies of putting this kind of show on stage. I enjoyed it thoroughly...nuff said!

As a parting shot, my signature says it all I think :twisted:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: D'uh

Post by Bnielsen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Peter the High King wrote:Yes, Steve, I meant "Through the Glass Darkly." Thanks for the correction. It was the song right before the brief break, for the film change.

--Peter the High King
Yeah, I have a thought that that might be a superb highligh of the dvd
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Harmony

The Concert

Post by Harmony » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:48 pm

Simply put, I had an awesome time. I made some great new friends, put faces to people I've become close to online, and strengthened ties with those that knew me already.

And what's this talk of mistakes? What mistakes? I didn't hear any! :)

Oh, if you are reading this and wondering who I am, I was working merch for Salem Hill and running around taking pictures during the concert.

Thank you guys for making me part of the GH family.

~Harmony (Lenna)
Shout happily to the LORD, all the earth. Break out into joyful singing, and make music. - Psalms 98:4 (GW)

robjob

Post by robjob » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm

Hello all:

I'm new to the forum, and a newly recruited Glass Hammer fan. I've only been listening for a couple of months, but honestly, I haven't listened to very much other than G.H. during that time. I'm hooked!!! I happen to be the responsible chaperone for the two creepy, t-shirt wearing, prog fan, geeks. They're the one's who introduced me to this wonderful group. I was at the show in Nashville, and if I may, I would like to put in my two cents worth. First, I think most of the adjectives have already been used to describe the experience, but it truly was a wonderful evening. I've watched yeshead777's concert DVD probably a thousand times since he let me borrow it, but being there live was out of this world! I too, am from the Chattanooga area, and because of that, I think a small part of the attraction to G.H. is that they're neighbors, so to speak. But for the most part, it's the inspired lyrics, and the incredible music. In addition, I also enjoy the approachability of the band. (I'm not sure if approachability is actually a word) All of them were were very appreciative and hospitable. As far as the technical glitches that have been mentioned, I can't say I really noticed any of them. I'll close for now, but I'm lookiing forward to continuing discussions in the future with the one thing we all have in common: Our love of this groups work. Until next time: God bless you all.

Rob Thomas

ps: on the off chance that anyone had a morsel of sympathy for yeshead777, and Elric's complaints of not getting enough sleep that night.....I can assure you, they both slept like baby's on the drive home.

DruidsGlass
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by DruidsGlass » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:49 pm

welcome! always good to meet a new fan...if only in cyber space...or is it forum space?
We shall not let Word Association go quietly into the night!

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:15 pm

"Future Me" dpesn't start out with any kind of loop or sample. They play that part. I was there and I saw it :D :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Peter the High King

Future Me and Thela Hun Ginjeet

Post by Peter the High King » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:34 pm

I was sufficiently impressed by Salem Hill's performance to buy their latest album. (The bass player was particularly impressive). Is it me or does the beginning of "Future Me" sound an awful lot like "Thela Hun Ginjeet," from King Crimson's 80's masterpiece, "Discipline"?

--Peter the High King

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome show!

Post by Venividi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:17 pm

Typical late post from me.

The show was phenomenal!!! Fred has to be the best multi-keyboardist on God's green earth! The rest of the band is awesome as well. It is so amazing to hear GH live. I am literally left speechless listening to them. To paraphrase a line from JOTD "more concerts, more concerts!"

I had the pleasure of about 30 hours of prog listening time in the car getting to Nasville and back. I must say that GH's music just never gets old. We listened to GH's entire recorded repetoire at least once, with the exception of The Middle Earth album (Rumpska has a problem with that one), and I came to a new appreciation for the quality, variety and uniquness of GH's works!

Regarding The Inconsolable Secret CD, I told Steve that it doesn't seem fair for us to get such great art for just $20.

It was also fabulous to meet other GH fans, especially you fellow hammerheads of the forum (to SuperTed and Edel-I quote a line from Live at Nearfest "Thanks for coming over!")

Peace to all!

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Awesome show!

Post by Rumpska » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:21 pm

Venividi wrote:(Rumpska has a problem with that one)
Aye, tis true. It would probably have helped if Mary hadn't played the same couple of songs and sang them over and over again just to annoy me.
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:43 pm

Or the Man in the Wood. EVERY single family car trip at least one (if not all) of the little boys request to play that song. At least once.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Rumpska
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Rumpska » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:01 pm

AJ always wants "Dorf and Orf"
[color=darkred][i][b]Do a barrel roll![/b][/i][/color]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:32 pm

FredProgGH wrote:"Future Me" dpesn't start out with any kind of loop or sample. They play that part. I was there and I saw it :D :D
Yup, that was cool how they used it as the background to introduce their band.

They sound VERY Camel at times, I like them alot, I also bought their new CD.
(Which i left at work! argh!)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:41 pm

Bnielsen wrote: They sound VERY Camel at times, I like them alot, I also bought their new CD.
(Which i left at work! argh!)
I left mine in the rental van :roll:

Peter the High King

Repeat

Post by Peter the High King » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:52 pm

I need to know if I'm crazy. Does the beginning of "Future Me" sound a lot like KC's "Thela Hun Gingeet"?

--Peter the High King

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:01 am

Eh, not to me. It does have a certain similarity to almost all the contrapuntal picking guitar stuff KC was doing at the time. But IIRC Thela was more of a chordal thing. Maybe not; I haven't heard that in a looooong time. Now the beat though.... yeah, you might be right actually.