Project update

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Alatar
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Alatar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Thimon wrote:If someone would have told me that glass hammer is a big hoax and all albums where made by different people I could believe it (except for vocals)...
I think change is good, and I look forward to heavier parts and a slightly new sound. It must be Shreddy who set you up.. right? :lol:
All this talk on change is interesting. I have always thought that the two features of Glass Hammer were:

1: They never underwent radical change in their basic sound, but they did implement it incrementally. With the notable exception of The Middle Earth Album.

2: While Glass Hammer rarely push the boundaries of progressive rock, they always push their own boundaries as musicians.

Glass Hammer have tried many things, but they have always had a fundamental grounding in the music of the seventies, with a combination of bands from the UK and USA. There are a lot of bands like that out there, but where Glass Hammer differs is that they do change and grow, and they are always trying things that they haven't done before. That and musicianship set them apart from a large group of competent but uninspiring bands.

So while Glass Hammer have changed, they have done so nowhere near as much as any of the Big 6 did over the same period of time. Which is just as well, because if Glass Hammer were Genesis we'd be up to Invisible Touch by now. And Walter Moore would be singing Sledgehammer.

Er, summary. Glass Hammer has changed and that is good, but not radically, which is also good in my book. Also, while innovation is fantastic we will never be back in the early seventies when there was so much scope for it. As long as Glass Hammer continue to push themselves as musicians that's fine with me. Besides which, most bands touted as "innovative" these days either aren't (eg Mars Volta, who are just Jane's Addiction with longer songs and a Mariachi band) or just do nothing for me.
----
Five wizards came from the West. One sought knowledge, one power, one conversed with the animals and the other two got into blues

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks Alatar! Great analysis. That's what we always hoped for; a chance to experiment and grow within a framework that was fairly set. We always want to be a symphonic prog band. While we want to always express where we are at in our musical lives, we don't want to drift from the underpinnings of the GH sound. If I wanted to do something radically different, like be in a glam rock band or jazz/prog/fusion band I'd do them as side projects. (Which I am- teehee :D :D)

I'll drop one other little thought on you guys- two words : STRING TRIO. It turns out in a weird way the key to part of what we wanted for Inconsolable Secret was easier to achieve by ditching the notion of a whole big string section and just using the Adonia Trio alone. It was pretty obvious when we played live the sound was there even with a small group. It's like Kansas on steroids- "Well, it's two bigger, innit??" :D The strings on this album rock and they are better integrated into the whole sound. IS was more about contrast of orchestra to band. This is integration.

And Rebecca plays like Jon-Luc Ponty now- wait until you hear. Susan rips a solo too!

One last word about innovation- I really think its an ability of the young, and for those working in a genre when it is young. It takes a brain in a certain place in life. And you're right, it's double hard to innovate in music that has been around for 40 years. Bjork is an innovator- or she was, anyway. I could have innovated at 20 or 25. For us oldies, it's about craftsmanship. That's what we try and do now.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Thimon
Professional
Professional

Post by Thimon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:32 am

I was overreacting a little, that's true Alatar. I would recognize Glass Hammer's new album if you didn't tell me it was Glass Hammer.
I like the way the band slightly changed over time and its truly a different experience to listen to Perelandra or to Lex Rex for instance. This is one of the reasons why it is so hard to have a favorite album. Though I like the epic feel of The Inconsolable Secret, I still love the simpleness ( if you can call it simple ) of Chronometree. maybe minimalistic is a better word?

Hej... It might be a idea to make a 'back to roots'-album with many recognizable sounds of the older albums... just speculating.

Fred, did you uploaded some new stuff on you myspace lately? I forgot you username... trull or something?
"Are you on the list?"
- Heroes

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:31 am

No, I haven't updated that page in months. In fact, I hope soon some of what's there will come down, because it will be done and out!

It's not Myspace, it's Soundclick (I have to do a Myspace page!)

www.soundclick.com/trurl/

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:53 am

Fred is right, at our age its about craftsmanship. Truthfully we've never thought of being innovative in a big way. I think you'll find small bits of innovation here and there in a lot of our tracks, but we're not out to re-invent the genre nor start a new one. Our first goal as a partnership (lo those many years ago) was to revive a genre that we felt deserved another listen. We became part of that revival and I'm danged proud of that.

Next goals - keep making great albums - try at least - try to improve - try to tell stories with music - show off some chops along the way - become better writers - make the next album.

Craftsmanship and innovation aside - if the music on the album fails to 'move the writers' or 'move the fans' or 'move somebody / anybody' - then it was all crap to me.

I am bored to tears with many technically brilliant prog-albums, and I find little entertainment value in listening to most of what is labeled 'innovative'. I'm looking (as a listener) to be moved - either to tears or to joy, heck - I'll even be satified with a smile.

I listen to a lot of new groups these days, and am moved. I still am 'moved' by my favorite oldies. Culture of Ascent 'moves me'. In a few minutes it will move me to the studio to attempt an impossible edit that wasted two hours of my life yesterday!

The arm-chair critics and the forum trolls can hash it all out in a couple of months. Was Culture of Ascent crap? Was it pretentious? Derivative? Lyrically brilliant or cheesy? Too much or too little? Packaged nicely? Mixed well? Influenced by band X, Y or Z? Two and a half stars or Five? Too Christian? Too preachy? Too much guitar? Not enough guitar?

Two things are certain:
1. They'll all say the bass player ROCKS.
2. The opinions that matter most to us will be posted on this forum by our friends and the ones who know us best.

I wish you all a blessed day. Rant over for now....

Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:42 pm

=)

Definately looking foward to this- I agree- the String Trio rules.

Question- Do you prepare the solo lines for them, and they play them 'straight' so to speak, or have you ever given them some leeway to write their own lines?
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Bnielsen wrote:=)

Definately looking foward to this- I agree- the String Trio rules.

Question- Do you prepare the solo lines for them, and they play them 'straight' so to speak, or have you ever given them some leeway to write their own lines?
For solos I give them a starting point written down, just because they like that. Then they change it to make it comfortable. They still don't like to improvise or I would let them just make it up on their own. But they do tweak it themselves.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Very interesting comments about craftmanship verses innovation. IMO what Rush is doing now is a little combination of both, but mostly caraftmanship-doing what they do best,just a little differently.Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree are truly innovators-one of the few in modern music, even though they are heavily influenced by 70's/80's prog.The same with Dream Theater-but in their case I think they started out more innovative, and have become more craftsmen.Great line of thinking-but keep in mind,True craftsmen change,expand, and grow too-and I definetely think COA will prove this!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:29 pm

I got to hear a 2 minute snippet from the new album on the phone today with a certain Mayor of Longview (thanks!!!!!!)

It was an edgy powerful section with some nice chord progressions and timings, the guitar really sounded great- not overpowereing, but strong.

Definately a nice tease for whats to come =)
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 pm

From Japan, the Ninjas cry in chorus: "Motenai!" (We can't wait1)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

mflorio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mflorio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:17 pm

Sam Gamgee wrote:From Japan, the Ninjas cry in chorus: "Motenai!" (We can't wait1)
That would be "matte nai" in proper romanized form :wink:
http://www.massdream.com

spaceman

Post by spaceman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Great looking cover! I'm looking forward to popping that on my cd tray!! And did I see on myspace that Glass Hammer will be playing live in Quebec on 9/29/2007 ???!!!??? I will be in Washington, DC for the 'gold-plated' Genesis show on 9/23/07. I might just have to take a whole week of vacation and keep going north for the Quebec GH show! That may be a real stretch as it looks like its another 750 miles or so from DC to Quebec.......um........and with the passport situation and all !!! Uh...any chance of a show just a little closer to home???

spaceman

spaceman

Post by spaceman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:44 pm

I almost forgot to ask. Will you guys be playing any of the new material for this show???

spaceman

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:43 pm

spaceman wrote:I almost forgot to ask. Will you guys be playing any of the new material for this show???

spaceman
The plan is that we would play 3 tracks from the new album. We'll see how that goes in rehearsal first of course :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

spaceman

Post by spaceman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 pm

Oh man!!! Now I'm really gonna have to scramble to pull this one off!
First I'll have to see if I can get the time off. Then see about getting the passports. Didn't used to have to worry about that to go to Canada. It would be nice to make this gig. I'll try my best. Are there any other dates planned??

spaceman