First Impressions

Summit Expedition - Summer of 07

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

KindStranger187

Post by KindStranger187 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:17 am

Loving the new album! But as much as I like the cover of South Side of the Sky, it seems a little odd to me to open the album with it. Then again, maybe that was a bold move?
Kind Stranger

KindStranger187

Post by KindStranger187 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:24 am

I forgot to mention, I also received the Compilations CD, which is also great. There are some really great offerings on this disc!
Kind Stranger

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 am

KindStranger187 wrote:Loving the new album! But as much as I like the cover of South Side of the Sky, it seems a little odd to me to open the album with it. Then again, maybe that was a bold move?
It is an extremely BOLD move, but I think it plays perfectly,esp. the way it sets the whole mood and segues into SunSong.They want you to FEEL the mountains from the first notes-and what better song to do it with.If it was more of just a straight cover it would be one thing, but it is so INNOVATIVE while at the same time keeping alot of the traditional original sound and vibe-its just plain perfect!In fact, the whole sequencing of this album is perfect, just when you're subdued in the valley,you're brought back up ROCKING on the peaks!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 pm

Ok, now that a bunch have gotten to savor the tracks a bit, I am glad to see a lot of ppl are diggin this CD. Since I have listened to this exclusively (cept for the hour at work was listening to BE - Salem Hill) I want to express my thoughts on the tracks. When I first had a preview of the album, I did not know how to express what I was thinking at the time because of the sensory overload. Now that I have had time to digest, here we go....

South Side of the Sky - This is one of my favorite Yes songs. I love this version, and was eagerly wanting to wear this track out. Susie does great on the vocals! I love the vocalizations and Carl's backup in there.

Sunsong - I thought that this would be the track I would listen to least because I was so interested in the Epic tracks and the cover tune. Boy, was I wrong! I absolutely love this track. The way it starts out on the heels of SSotS is great! I love the grove of Steve and Shreddy in this song. I can crank this up loud!

Life by Light - I agree with Shadoshi on this song. The ambience is perfect. When I close my eyes and listen to this track, I feel like I am living in a different world. Jon's vocals blend in well here with an outstanding performance by Carl.

Ember Without Name - Whoa..... Fred, you and Shreddy went completely crazy-awesome-wild here and brought it back together at the beginning of this Epic. Throughout this whole track I was into the Adonia Strings. Man, they have taken their sound to a new level. This is still probably my most listened to track. During this song, I was trying to picture the band during the jams and wondering who was gonna spontaneously combust.

Into thin Air - Love it, while listening to this track I feel like I am climbing higher and higher, especially at the end. It is a calmer track than Ember Without Name, but the lyrics are powerful.

Rest - A simple name, short lyrics...... This is probably one of the most beautifully written songs I have ever heard. This song brings so much emotion with it. Personally for me, whenever I feel like the world is coming down, all I have to do is think of this song and remember that I am not alone. Simply beautiful. The fact that this is the closing song on the CD, to me also makes a point. This is not the end, but a better place and a new beginning awaits.

Steve and Fred, this CD has future staying power. It is not a flash in the pan. I will be listening to this for years to come and I believe that those that have never heard of GH in the years to come, will appreciate this work. This is just my opinion, and no kissing up, but for me possibly the best album I have heard in years. I have Yes's Close to the Edge up there, but I can give meaning to CoA.

Thanks for the great work!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Elric wrote:This is just my opinion, and no kissing up, but for me possibly the best album I have heard in years. I have Yes's Close to the Edge up there, but I can give meaning to CoA.
Thanks for the great work!
I COMPLETELY agree! I don't think the GH crew really understand how so intensely solid this album is. I'm absolutely blown out of the water.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Funny, my buddy Elric mentioned CTTE before I wrote my amazon review-but take note-we did not talk to each other during this time! Must be mental telepathy. GreatProg minds think alike!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 pm

I really need to stop listening to this album on repeat and give it a break. Aaah, so hard to stop!!

I wonder if this is the reason why I'm feeling so magically productive homework-wise this time of night?
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:29 pm

oh: Also: I just have to say that after spending a few winters in the South Side's WINDY Chicago cold, never have I more appreciated the lines:

"Around the South Side
So cold that we cry..."

Theremin will know what I mean...
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:05 pm

The COA album hasen´t reached me yet... buuuhuuu...

The first reviews here in Germany are very positive things like GH sounds more like GH than ever. Can only be beaten by Yes when ever. Those fantastic Guitarsolos sounding alot like Holdsworth and so on. Sounds all so fantastic can´t wait to get my copy.......

Keep up the good work.
Bozo
The world is smaller than you think!

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:04 am

Elric wrote: Ember Without Name - ...During this song, I was trying to picture the band during the jams and wondering who was gonna spontaneously combust.
You didn't know? That's where they got the name! While recording the ending section, Matt's shoes randomly combusted, and that's why he went so crazy with the double bass and fills for the last minute, not because it sounded cool, but because he was freaking out due to being on fire! :lol:

Okay, fine. But you have to admit that this would be an awesome back story. :roll:

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:59 am

8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Barcelona's knight

Post by Barcelona's knight » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:14 am

I received my COA bundle yesterday. And being the one who proposed the idea of such a package, I feel I must share with you my impressions...
First of all there is Culture Of Ascent itself. Another gem in the Glass Hammer catalogue, that's for sure. But as it has been said, it is quite different from the previous albums, imho. For a band in a clear Yes-ish tradition, this is perhaps their most Yes-ish work so far. I am afraid that we will never again hear a new recording from Jon Anderson's band that could match COA. And this is not because of the involvement of Jon himself in this record. In fact I expected to find even a more prominent presence of the Yes singer, but maybe this would have taken the comparisons a bit too far.
I think that the album is more Yes-ish because it feels more "organic" than its predecessors. It is no longer about trying to emulate some fabulous music made thirty years ago: it is more about creating music using a similar method, to see where the music itself takes us, wherever it might be. As a result, COA has even more room from experimentation. Some sort of a Relayer for the XXIst century. This is, after all, progressive rock; and progress it does.
What can I say about The Compilations CD? When I proposed a bundle I was thinking about a batch of the three compilation CD's that had appeared recently. I admitted that to own a bunch of the rare tracks which are diseminated in those CD's I would have to pay again for a lot of music that I already have; however, it would be fine for people who are arriving now into Glass Hammer's music.
The final decision has been to made a compilation... of the compilations. Of just the rare tracks, 72 minutes of music previously unreleased or hard-to find. Then, this is not an introductory compilation: is a CD created clearly with the existing fans in mind, a collection of rarities. A must have for fans, really.